Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I also wanted to add that I've dated guys with money and travels and degrees and houses and stuff and those relationships went nowhere cause they really didn't value me the way I deserved. Met my fiance, who really had nothing but he's had the biggest heart, the most love and is the most dedicated guy I've ever met. Even when he lost his job (and I was still working) he was trying to pay my way and do things just to make me happy. And he hasn't stopped. It makes him happy to see me happy.

And while all my snigle girlfriends are still hunting down the man who has it all, I'm sporting the rock on my finger, with the wedding date set and I've never been happier with a guy.

So you just never know.
Hey, if it makes you happy, nothing wrong with it! Obviously the guy is not a lazy bum hanging on your neck. Anybody can fall into hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, he still went to campus.. hung out there, went to campus parties, went to events etc. Just didn't actually take classes. He's currently living in a walk in closet at the age of 28.
Sounds like another slang term for the big house!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I love this story and have posted it before. Granted, there is a slight difference between fishing for fun and fishing for a living (the safety net is obviously missing), but it's essentially the same.
Hey, its hot in AZ. Turn up your AC before you completely fry your brain. Then look into those who really fish for a living.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Then look into those who really fish for a living.
I have. They're usually happier.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times
Default What's Wrong With Ambition?

To All Of You Who Hate The Word Ambition -

I understand the whole minimalist argument. Being happy with less, living in the moment, working to live not living to work. But I think you are taking the word "ambition" and loading it with all the negative things you see wrong in our culture. There is nothing wrong with ambition. Ambition, just means you are striving towards something. You have goals, you have a purpose, your life does not revolve around reality shows and Iron Chef. That's what I meant when I asked this question.

I like the outdoors too. I love to go hiking, love to take pictures. I enjoy spending time with friends and family. But I also have things that are motivating me in my life. I don't feel the two are mutually exclusive. Its wrong to think that you either enjoy life and have no ambition, or you have ambition and are a workaholic. What is so enjoyable about working at a job you hate, and then coming home and having nothing to do? What is so fulfilling about that?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
To All Of You Who Hate The Word Ambition -

I understand the whole minimalist argument. Being happy with less, living in the moment, working to live not living to work. But I think you are taking the word "ambition" and loading it with all the negative things you see wrong in our culture. There is nothing wrong with ambition. Ambition, just means you are striving towards something. You have goals, you have a purpose, your life does not revolve around reality shows and Iron Chef. That's what I meant when I asked this question.

I like the outdoors too. I love to go hiking, love to take pictures. I enjoy spending time with friends and family. But I also have things that are motivating me in my life. I don't feel the two are mutually exclusive. Its wrong to think that you either enjoy life and have no ambition, or you have ambition and are a workaholic. What is so enjoyable about working at a job you hate, and then coming home and having nothing to do? What is so fulfilling about that?
Why so defensive...? Nobody's attacking your ambition. Live and let live.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times
Quote:
Why so defensive...? Nobody's attacking your ambition. Live and let live.
Lol. I wasn't being defensive, just making my case .

Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Lol. I wasn't being defensive, just making my case .
Just be careful with all those ambitions, and wishes, and desires, and goals, and dreams... Most of the disasters I've brought upon myself have been fueled exactly by them! I haven't been always passive; just exhausted already. I got my latest dream come true less than 2 years ago and I wish I hadn't. Sometimes it's too late when you realize what you got after much struggle is not quite what you want or what you can handle.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Just be careful with all those ambitions, and wishes, and desires, and goals, and dreams... Most of the disasters I've brought upon myself have been fueled exactly by them! I haven't been always passive; just exhausted already. I got my latest dream come true less than 2 years ago and I wish I hadn't. Sometimes it's too late when you realize what you got after much struggle is not quite what you want or what you can handle.
So true!

Last year I thought I'd landed a dream job, big office, big paycheck and soon BIG headache. By the end I was having terrible anxiety everyday just by being there. It ended up blowing up in my face horribly til I was let go.

Now I dream of a simpler job. Or any job really.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
I have ambitions. Some of them are big, some are small - but I have them nonetheless. Therefore, I find myself reaching a glass ceiling with people who have zero ambition because after a certain point, I just can't relate with them anymore. That's great if you want to spend your life not really doing much of anything because you either a.) don't want to put in the hard work or b.) feel like the risk is not worth it but I'm not like that and being around people who have no passion drains me.

The ambitions don't have to be huge and grand but some sort of goals would be nice (and no, scoring a bag of weed for tomorrow doesn't count).

So yes, no ambition is a dealbreaker for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships