Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its sad alright. If people actually met/socialized and dated in the real world, they would have got the full body shot and this wouldnt be an issue.
True. But at least in the real world you would actually get to know someone for more than two seconds before writing them off. Online, I am more likely to judge someone by their looks/body. But in the real world, I don't think I'd be nearly so harsh. I know from experience that personality plays a much bigger role. So why not get to know someone before you judge them based on looks? Even if its online. Makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Is this what dating has come to? How sad. Personally, I agree with the OP, I think its rude. At least get to know me first before you ask to size me up by my body! Gah ... some people .
Say what? In "traditional" dating, you don't spend the first several dates with a blindfold on. No, you actually SEE what the person looks like! So why is it different to want to SEE what they look like online before meeting them? If they aren't attractive to you, or vice versa, it's a waste of their time and yours.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Say what? In "traditional" dating, you don't spend the first several dates with a blindfold on. No, you actually SEE what the person looks like! So why is it different to want to SEE what they look like online before meeting them? If they aren't attractive to you, or vice versa, it's a waste of their time and yours.
I totally agree. Sad thing is, most of the women who resort to online dating have bodies that they would rather men NOT see.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Is this what dating has come to? How sad. Personally, I agree with the OP, I think its rude. At least get to know me first before you ask to size me up by my body! Gah ... some people .
What's sad is how sensitive people are online. If I met someone at a bar, she'd see all of me. But if I'm online, why should I hide stuff that they'd see if we met in person?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Most guys that I've really fallen for started out as friends. I knew them for months, sometimes years, before I started dating them. I have to get to know someone first. That's just me. Now of course I know its unrealistic to allow that kind of time for online dating, but I still think personality is the most important thing. Unless you just want a booty call with no substance!

Not saying I'm not superficial! If anything I have realized lately that I'm more superficial than I would like to admit.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote]True. But at least in the real world you would actually get to know someone for more than two seconds before writing them off. Online, I am more likely to judge someone by their looks/body. But in the real world, I don't think I'd be nearly so harsh. I know from experience that personality plays a much bigger role. So why not get to know someone before you judge them based on looks? Even if its online. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Often in the real world people harshly judge others based on looks. If they dont like your look they would not approach your or engage in conversation to begin with.

Yes that does make sense, but I would think rarely happens.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What's sad is how sensitive people are online. If I met someone at a bar, she'd see all of me. But if I'm online, why should I hide stuff that they'd see if we met in person?
I'm not saying you should hide anything. But wouldn't you want someone to like you for you, and not your body? Am I alone in this? I don't have anything to hide in terms of my body, but I don't want to be judged by that. And I don't want to do the same thing to someone else either.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM

[quote=2mares;9874774]
Quote:
True. But at least in the real world you would actually get to know someone for more than two seconds before writing them off. Online, I am more likely to judge someone by their looks/body. But in the real world, I don't think I'd be nearly so harsh. I know from experience that personality plays a much bigger role. So why not get to know someone before you judge them based on looks? Even if its online. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Often in the real world people harshly judge others based on looks. If they dont like your look they would not approach your or engage in conversation to begin with.

Yes that does make sense, but I would think rarely happens.
I would rather have someone who matches me as far as personality and may not be conventionally good looking, than someone who is good looking and who bores me. And I'm not just saying that.

Can I be superficial? Of course, I'm human. But I'm looking for a guy that I can be happy with, not someone just to stare at.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 24,431 times
Listen, I met a guy on match.com that only sent me a head and shoulder shot where he looked normal and then when I met him in person he had an abnormally obese hips and rear-end! I could not believe it, I have never seen anything like it. Ever since then I ask for a full body pic. I've had other men hide the fact that they are wheelchair bound. Furthermore, men constantly ask me for full-length photos. So get over yourself please!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I totally agree. Sad thing is, most of the women who resort to online dating have bodies that they would rather men NOT see.
That's right! Cause we're all nasty trolls. I snagged my man before anybody else could. Poor guy never saw it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships