Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I'm going to be blunt here. Having a nice body can make up for a lack of height. I'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8" and I've seen a few guys who are my height or an inch shorter that I wouldn't mind going on a date with... of course, one of them looked like James McAvoy (who btw is 5'7") so that certainly upped his appeal lol.

Don't sweat it. Keep yourself in shape and groomed and never forget that personality can make up for a multitude of appearance related things.

And I almost forgot! Having great style wouldn't hurt you either lol!
I work out quite a bit, I'm fairly athletic, I make sure that I eat properly, and while I'm not jacked, I'm not a short and fat or short, walking stick either. On top of that, I take care of my skin/body, am very ambitious, able to hold an intelligent conversation with people, and am respectful to those around me, which makes it all the more frustrating that girls go out with some tall frat boy who is extremely boisterous and disrespectful (that's what ended up happening after I asked one of them out).

Maybe it's my style that's a problem? I mean, I don't exactly rock an Armani, Gucci or whatever you call it suit because my family and I aren't wealthy, but I try to wear what I consider decent stuff like Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and J. Crew, which aren't THAT cheap either imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Quit asking the short ladies out for dates. Stick with the taller than you types. Hear me now...believe me later...
You're kidding, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
They really turned you down because of your height? Wow, I've heard of being superficial, but wow...

I'm not real tall myself, man. Only 5'7" and I'm not Indian, haha. Scots-Irish all the way.

But I've never felt that my height was a real barrier in my ability to get a date.

I've dated girls taller than me, although they weren't Amazons, lol.

I wouldn't sweat it dude. How old are you anyway?
I'm 18, although I turn 19 very soon.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 PM

358 posts, read 982,975 times
Maybe you're asking out the wrong girls.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I work out quite a bit, I'm fairly athletic, I make sure that I eat properly, and while I'm not jacked, I'm not a short and fat or short, walking stick either. On top of that, I take care of my skin/body, am very ambitious, able to hold an intelligent conversation with people, and am respectful to those around me, which makes it all the more frustrating that girls go out with some tall frat boy who is extremely boisterous and disrespectful (that's what ended up happening after I asked one of them out).

Maybe it's my style that's a problem? I mean, I don't exactly rock an Armani, Gucci or whatever you call it suit because my family and I aren't wealthy, but I try to wear what I consider decent stuff like Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and J. Crew, which aren't THAT cheap either imo.
When I say style, I don't necessarily mean wearing expensive stuff because we all know that money doesn't always equal stylish but simply just wearing clothes that fit you well and look good on you!

The traits you mentioned are positive ones and are very attractive... you may just need a little flair or edge to you to up the ante. It doesn't hurt to be very charming and flirtatious lol.

The reason girls usually shy away from shorter/skinnier guys is because NO girl likes feeling big compared to the guy she's with.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,444 times
Ya know, I hate to admit this but when I read your post, I laughed. Trust me, I wasn't laughing at you, but man, when I was 18 I was in the exact same situation. I'd been on dates and all that, but nothing like you would ever call a "relationship". I can remember all the hell I went through during those times..

Anyway, back to the point. I'm 5'6, fat, bald, and ugly.. Ok, maybe not all that, but I am 5'6, just an average looking guy, nothing special. Still, I have no problem with meeting women. I'll tell ya what I learned, and hopefully it'll help ya out a bit.

First things first, I know you said you're a little shy - nothing wrong with that, when I was 18 I was the same - but for me that was the first place I started. You have to build up your confidence. I think that confidence matters more than anything else. I had a good buddy of mine that was ugly - and when I say ugly I mean it, he was the type that would wiggle his one green tooth just to irritate people. Still, he was a heck of a guy. Something I couldn't figure out was how he always had a different chick with him every time I saw him. I finally figured it out, he had more confidence than anyone I've ever met. Anyway, that's something you have to build within yourself. The easiest way I found to build confidence is just to talk to people. Every time you go to a store and there's a girl at the counter, flirt with her a little. Tease her some like you would your buddies.. Notice: I didn't say harass, I said tease, in a playful way. At first, it's hard to do simply because you're nervous and don't know what to say. As time goes on, you'll become more and more confident, and you'll find yourself talking to everyone. For me, I had to force myself to do it, but when I realized it wasn't so bad, well, it was just me being me without all the intimidation.

Learn how to make women laugh. I don't mean by telling them a corny knock knock joke or something like that, I mean don't be afraid to be yourself and make jokes. When people see that kind of confidence, and find themselves smiling every time your around, height doesn't matter anymore.

Second biggest thing is this: Make a change in yourself. You'll be surprised how new clothes and a different haircut can make someone feel. Forget about height and start focusing on yourself. You are who you are, and nobody can change that. The only thing that I see with you is that you know who you are, but you're not confident enough to be that person. We can offer advice all day, but until you decide to make a change in yourself, none of the advice will help any at all.

It took me close to three years to get over being shy. You'll be fine, just don't get discouraged and above all else, man, just be yourself.

I wish ya the best bro..

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Tom Cruise is a douche bag
I'm not a huge fan of him the last few years myself - but that is beside the point - the man is shorter but that hasn't held him back from having some gorgeous women in his life. Being under 6 feet tall is not the end of the world or your dating life.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
Ya know, I hate to admit this but when I read your post, I laughed. Trust me, I wasn't laughing at you, but man, when I was 18 I was in the exact same situation. I'd been on dates and all that, but nothing like you would ever call a "relationship". I can remember all the hell I went through during those times..

Anyway, back to the point. I'm 5'6, fat, bald, and ugly.. Ok, maybe not all that, but I am 5'6, just an average looking guy, nothing special. Still, I have no problem with meeting women. I'll tell ya what I learned, and hopefully it'll help ya out a bit.

First things first, I know you said you're a little shy - nothing wrong with that, when I was 18 I was the same - but for me that was the first place I started. You have to build up your confidence. I think that confidence matters more than anything else. I had a good buddy of mine that was ugly - and when I say ugly I mean it, he was the type that would wiggle his one green tooth just to irritate people. Still, he was a heck of a guy. Something I couldn't figure out was how he always had a different chick with him every time I saw him. I finally figured it out, he had more confidence than anyone I've ever met. Anyway, that's something you have to build within yourself. The easiest way I found to build confidence is just to talk to people. Every time you go to a store and there's a girl at the counter, flirt with her a little. Tease her some like you would your buddies.. Notice: I didn't say harass, I said tease, in a playful way. At first, it's hard to do simply because you're nervous and don't know what to say. As time goes on, you'll become more and more confident, and you'll find yourself talking to everyone. For me, I had to force myself to do it, but when I realized it wasn't so bad, well, it was just me being me without all the intimidation.

Learn how to make women laugh. I don't mean by telling them a corny knock knock joke or something like that, I mean don't be afraid to be yourself and make jokes. When people see that kind of confidence, and find themselves smiling every time your around, height doesn't matter anymore.

Second biggest thing is this: Make a change in yourself. You'll be surprised how new clothes and a different haircut can make someone feel. Forget about height and start focusing on yourself. You are who you are, and nobody can change that. The only thing that I see with you is that you know who you are, but you're not confident enough to be that person. We can offer advice all day, but until you decide to make a change in yourself, none of the advice will help any at all.

It took me close to three years to get over being shy. You'll be fine, just don't get discouraged and above all else, man, just be yourself.

I wish ya the best bro..
Yep - it's the confidence women see and react to - didn't I just say that?? Hope he hears what you and I have both told him

Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
The Artist, Formerly known as PRINCE is only 5'3" and he does alright.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:20 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
Ben Stiller is like 5'7". I guess he does okay, LOL.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times
I am 6'1 and i feel short*

*my dad is 6'6, my brother is 6'5, all my male cousins on dads side are over 6'5 and chicks are all 5'8+

my mom is 5'4 and all my cousins on that side are short

i guess i got stuck in between
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships