Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:39 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,555 times

Advertisements

If you partner (boyfriend/girlfriend) chose or were planning to live with an opposite sex roommate, would this bother you?

Do you think this is inappropriate?

Let's say your partner told you or you knew that he/she got along better with the opposite sex as friends and thought it would be much more comfortable to board with another man/woman?

How would you feel? Would this be a line that your partner crossed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
I would ask what "getting along" had to do with paying the bills...That is what a roomate is for.

It would not fly with me. Because I know how people can be...especially women.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,856,667 times
Seems like a potential bad situation for a number of reasons.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM

71 posts, read 239,036 times
I'm a female and currently live with a guy in a townhouse. Now, we're friends but don't go so far as to hang out in each other's rooms, etc. I honestly get along better with men, i.e. no drama, and nothing inappropriate occurs. When I was dating my ex, he was ok with it but I certainly let him meet the guy first. **Disclaimer** I am an extremely loyal person so when I'm with somebody, I don't flirt or play cutesy with the opposite sex. I honestly don't know many other people like me so this may not be a good idea for your "typical" person.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,402 times
Default Partner Choosing an Opposite Sex Roommate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
Hardly. If she keep house better than you, you should consider moving in.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Yeh I think that cutesy BS is a real red flag!
Good point.

I think living in a townhouse where you have more space is also better because you are not in each others' company as much as say...a two bedroom NY apt or something of the sort.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
If you partner (boyfriend/girlfriend) chose or were planning to live with an opposite sex roommate, would this bother you?

Let's say your partner told you or you knew that he/she got along better with the opposite sex as friends and thought it would be much more comfortable to board with another man/woman?

How would you feel? Would this be a line that your partner crossed?
I would want that opposite sex room mate to be...well, ME.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,869,653 times
Having an opposite sex roomate, I can speak from experience that things can work as long as neither person is attracted to each other and/or committed to other people. My female roomate has a boyfriend, and he seems at ease about the whole situation. That being said, if you're a couple, why not just live together?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Having an opposite sex roomate, I can speak from experience that things can work as long as neither person is attracted to each other and/or committed to other people. My female roomate has a boyfriend, and he seems at ease about the whole situation. That being said, if you're a couple, why not just live together?
Because, if your bf/gf becomes an ex, you have to look for a new roommate.

Seriously though, moving in too early just because you need a roommate can put pressures and strains on a relationship. As to when is the right time to live together, who knows.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
^That s what I keep asking my room mate.

[The weirdest thing keeps happening every time I hit my apostrophe key. It brings up some kind of quick find utility, no matter what type of forum I m in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships