Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM

184 posts, read 231,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
At least a guy who is paying in cash is not racking up huge bills on their Visa card.
You are getting a rep boost for this comment. Good one. Nowadays, cash is seen as king, in my country, the UK, we are still in deep financial trouble and I often pull out a wad of notes in front of people in the shops and look smug because I know that I am wealthy. It makes me feel better to see people getting annoyed because I have money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If that's the first thing that comes to your mind, you need to relax. You're not doing yourself any favors jumping to that conclusion.
Please don't tell me to "relax". You are nobody to patronize me in this manner, so lose the attitude, por favor. The question was how paying in cash may be seen as a "red flag" -- this is one suggestion. And kindly don't worry about whether or not I'm doing myself favors. I've been in happy long-term relationship for a very long time -- and so you are the one who needs to take your own advice about jumping to conclusions. Much obliged.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM

112 posts, read 140,813 times
lol some people have said they ONLY pay with cash because they think cards are not safe , i 100% disagree i think Debit card are much better and safer than cash.. cash you can easily get robbed off you or loose drop... but cards if u get scammed or get overcharged its allways easily rectified and it hardly ever happens. Theirs too much Scaremongering about everything these days and card fraud is one of the biggest ones.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think paying for big ticket items it would be better to use a credit card, lots of times you get special protections and other perks from the credit card companies. Course, pay the bill when it comes in.

I live off of my debit/visa card. I'm lucky if I have 20 or 30 bucks on me at a time.

I think cash is also good if you go out to dinner or some other event with a big group, makes splitting the bill somewhat easier.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
For what it is worth, I use my debit and credit cards for fuel and ordering stuff. Back when they trusted people to pay for their fuel before leaving (not very long ago) that was not the case. It is too much hassle to go in to guess how much you will need. The whole send a check or money order thing is for the birds also. You get your stuff ordered and shipped ASAP with the card.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
lol some people have said they ONLY pay with cash because they think cards are not safe , i 100% disagree i think Debit card are much better and safer than cash.. cash you can easily get robbed off you or loose drop... but cards if u get scammed or get overcharged its allways easily rectified and it hardly ever happens. Theirs too much Scaremongering about everything these days and card fraud is one of the biggest ones.
Nope. Hang on to your cash, and just hand over the quoted price. Nobody can steal the rest. If you use a debit card, you are handing the waitress your entire bank account, and she brings back the change. You hope. With a debit card, it is very, very hard to rectify a fraudulent transaction. The money is gone, and you have to fight to get it back. The opposite of a credit card, in which you keep the funds until they justify the billing.

How many times have you "dropped" cash and lost it? You cannot "easily" get robbed of cash that you're not carrying with you at the time. Carry a little more cash out the door than you think you'll need, and a credit card just in case. And never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never carry a balance on your credit card.

Me? I use a credit card for everything. They give me 3% cash back, and mail me a list every month of everything I've spent. But your reasons for not wanting to use cash are not relevant reasons.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM

112 posts, read 140,813 times
tbh i dont see why everyone is so paranoid about giving waiters their debit card whatever even if they went and copied all your details they still need your pin number to get money and im sure any transactions where its like huge amounts the bank allways rectifies it, it basically like hardly ever happens anyway the chance of card fraud is so minimal people think its really high but its not, its just that the ONE time it DOES happen it gets huge media interest etc. and start Scaremongering everyone. I dont have a credit card never will no need for it i just use debit card for most things and keep bout £10/£20 in cash no need for anymore really..

but also people who carry NO cash at all do annoy me..

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Please don't tell me to "relax". You are nobody to patronize me in this manner, so lose the attitude, por favor. The question was how paying in cash may be seen as a "red flag" -- this is one suggestion. And kindly don't worry about whether or not I'm doing myself favors. I've been in happy long-term relationship for a very long time -- and so you are the one who needs to take your own advice about jumping to conclusions. Much obliged.
That's fine and great you're in a happy relationship. But going from paying with cash to a possible extramarital affair is a bit of a stretch. I would think there would be more obvious warning signs if that were the case.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
PTC, being "financially responsible" is paying for things with CASH unless you know how to leverage other peoples money very well.

No disrespect PTC, but I think it's funny how people give others credibility for having an open bank account. I mean, I don't see how this is a measure of success especially if you don't know the available balance of the account. If anything, is more of: " I feel good he has a bank account", because it means he's playing along with the game.
No offense taken since I never said nor implied that having a bank account made one responsible or successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlWhoLovesLife View Post
op, i don't think you could possibly tell if someone was being "financially responsible" or "couldn't open a bank account" by seeing them pay for drinks with cash. I actually dated a dude who had no credit cards and made way more than a k a year. I think it's more a matter of preference.
I'm just going to cut and paste something I posted a few pages into this since it will probably go ignored again:

I am well aware that many people who pay with cash do have good credit and are responsible with their money. There are instances where cash is more convenient and you will ultimately decide when that is - at the bar, buying gum - your deal, your business. I know men like this, I am dating one now.

There are, in fact, people who pay with cash because that is the only option they have. THAT is a red flag. ONE of the signs, in MY experience and observations, is the comment that they don't believe in credit cards, when the truth is they can't get one. Sure, some out there may not believe in credit cards, so far that has not been the case. Fact is, they don't have to discuss or justify their finances; it's no one's business. But if they are going to misrepresent themselves, they are opening themselves up to scrutiny, judgment, opinon, alienation - whatever the reaction is at the time.

There are other signs as well. Since I started listening to my instincts, they not failed me. If I didn't listen to them, plenty of you would take issue with that. So, if this makes me judgmental, I can live with that. There are just too many good men out there for me to spend time entertaining what my gut tells me is a dud.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:01 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
But going from paying with cash to a possible extramarital affair is a bit of a stretch.
Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships