U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,352,241 times

Advertisements

So PTC---You knew the guy well enough to know that the reason he had a wad of cash was because he couldnt get a bank account or credit card. Yet you still chose to go out with him. Then after the date you see red flags? Seems that he and his wad of cash was good enough for at least a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,941,989 times
It has actually been shown that paying only with cash instead of credit/debit cards leads people to spending less money. Charging $50 to a credit card doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but peeling off $50 in cash seems more like 'spending money'.

For a while every monday morning I would take out the cash I would spend for the next week, and when I ran out of cash I stopped spending money for the week. I have a savings, checking, and stock trading account. Paying only with cash simply is a money management technique. If you see a guy paying only with cash, you should, if anything, think he has better money mangement skills!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,635,701 times
When I'm out, I have some cash just in case I end up in a establishment which won't take credit cards, or if I'm in a group, which means we split the bill.

I pay off my CCs at the end of every month, so paying interest is never a problem for me. Plus I build up rewards points.

And, I do try to carry cash in various denominations just in case there is that one ******* who tries to avoid paying his fair share. It's amazing how in this day and age with everyone working, with careers, there are actually individuals who will try to sneak out of having to pay their fair share.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,635,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It has actually been shown that paying only with cash instead of credit/debit cards leads people to spending less money. Charging $50 to a credit card doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but peeling off $50 in cash seems more like 'spending money'.

For a while every monday morning I would take out the cash I would spend for the next week, and when I ran out of cash I stopped spending money for the week. I have a savings, checking, and stock trading account. Paying only with cash simply is a money management technique. If you see a guy paying only with cash, you should, if anything, think he has better money mangement skills!
That's a good point - spending $45 on dinner and $65 at a bar hurts far more if paid in cash than if with a credit card.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,352,241 times
My prefence to pay cash really has nothing to do with money management. Although that point is well taken! With me it is simply a loathing deep down inside of me of owing anybody anything. I cant stand it! If I could pay my utility bill ahead of time I would. Just so I wouldnt get that bill that says "due by March 30."

Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 AM

13,244 posts, read 10,919,772 times
Quote:
For a while every monday morning I would take out the cash I would spend for the next week, and when I ran out of cash I stopped spending money for the week.
This is exactly what I do--it's my fund for lunches, happy hour, movies, whatever, and when I'm out of cash for the week, it's time to stay home.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 AM

5,441 posts, read 7,190,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Inspired by another thread.

From time to time, I'll come across or witness a man who pays for all his drinks/dinners/purchases with cash. They'll whip out a wad and pay for each drink, one by one. A common response when someone comments on said wad (like how crazy they are for walking around with so much money) is they don't "believe in credit cards".

I have had these very men approach me over the years and it has become a huge red flag for me. I am all for keeping the debt down. However, I can usually tell when someone is being financially responsible and when they can't even open a bank account. I won't touch the latter with a 10 foot pole.

Thoughts?
I have credit cards but I only use them for emergencies, otherwise I pay with my debit card or with cash. Paying with cash looks a lot better around females then paying with credit or debit cards

It shows you can actually pay for the stuff that you are buying, and women love it when men buy things for them, and if you're paying cash? You're in real good

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM

19,126 posts, read 15,217,658 times
I knew quite a few drug dealers in my day (which is interesting, considering I rarely even drink and never do any hard drugs) and they always paid for EVERYTHING in cash.

That would be a small red flag for me as well, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,813,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is exactly what I do--it's my fund for lunches, happy hour, movies, whatever, and when I'm out of cash for the week, it's time to stay home.
That's how my guy works it. I think I've seen him take out a card twice in three years. I don't see it as any kind of red flag at all, especially given the rest of his lifestyle (mortgage, etc.).

Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM

8,067 posts, read 9,254,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
So PTC---You knew the guy well enough to know that the reason he had a wad of cash was because he couldnt get a bank account or credit card. Yet you still chose to go out with him. Then after the date you see red flags? Seems that he and his wad of cash was good enough for at least a few hours.
Really? This doesn't even make any sense. Where did you extract that I knew all this and went out with them anyway? Show me. Quote it.

And any man's money is good enough until I find out something that makes him curb-worthy. That would not be hypocrisy or greed on my part, it would be misrepresentation on his. I'm not reimbursing him.

Try READING what I wrote and repeated. I am talking about a specific type of person/situation that actually does exist. Distorting what is there in black and white doesn't give meat to baseless assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships