Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Expensive to whom? and expensive for what circumstance? If it's a first date then yes it is rather expensive, a first date should cost as little as possible because most first dates don't even go anywhere... and whether it is expensive or not depends on your income level, for someone in a lower income bracket $24 is going to be a LOT of money.

And of course we know that people here on CD are high rollers so a $48 bill for a first date is nothing for them, they usually spend $200 and up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Depends on where you live, I suppose. We're lucky in our town to have a lot of great restaurants, two of which are perennial Beard finalists. So if you eat at one of those places, dinner for two, including wine and dessert, will run you $150-$200 plus tip.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
It really depends upon the city, as others have said. In some major cities, $24/per entree is not expensive. A good restaurant in a large city generally runs a bit more than this, though there are some superb restaurants that deliver at a lower price point.

It's not uncommon to pay $80 to $175 for a prix fixe vegetarian meal in good restaurants, plus drinks and tip. Some of the other prix fixe or tasting menus can run anywhere from $80 to $250 per person, though some tasting menus include wine pairings. And, some a la carte can be higher for certain entrees, especially if they are seasonal or market priced.

However, it should never be the cost of the meal that's a factor on the date, since many cities have fantastic restaurants that have great food at a more reasonable price point. Sometimes the ambiance of too nice a restaurant can backfire on a date, especially if the other party is not accustomed to such places; but even if such restaurants are de rigeur, sometimes the hidden gem of a restaurant makes much more of an impression, no matter the cost.

Today, it's difficult for restaurants to know who will be paying for the meal, so they have one largely done away with the old-fashioned custom of pricing only one set of menus. Rather than being focused on a price point, however, I would say that if you enjoyed the food, ambiance, and company, then the cost was worth every penny paid, be it $24 or be it $500+.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
Most I've ever spent in $90 with tip + 2 drinks. I knew the girl a little bit beforehand so I didn't mind paying. If it's someone I barely know then we're going somewhere where the bill is gonna be around $40. If things don't work out then I don't mind losing $40, but $80+ can kinda sting. I'm only 24 so I don't have tons of disposable income.

Further into the relationship I don't mind going out somewhere expensive every once in awhile.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
I've definitely been to my fair share of expensive restaurants (mostly with family or a family member) and some were worth the money, some weren't.

When it comes to a first date though, either take me to a fun restaurant (like a great Mexican place) or to a decent chain (such as Applebee's or Olive Garden - DON'T JUDGE lol).

While I absolutely love going to amazing restaurants, I think that's better for a 2nd or 3rd date for a variety of reasons for both parties. This way the guy won't have to spend too much money for a first date and the girl won't feel obligated since the guy just bought her a $250+ dinner.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I think the last time I took someone out to dinner, it cost the two of us $30. Small place, near my house, served Greek food, pasta, pizza.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I have to tell you guys, though. Unless there is serious, serious chemistry, taking a first date to an expensive restaurant is sending the wrong signals unless, of course, you fart hundred-dollar bills. But if you're an ordinary guy who lives paycheck to paycheck and you're taking your date to Chez Riche, you're basically going for broke--in more ways than one. You'll impress her more if you take her someplace nice outdoors with a picnic basket, a bottle of wine and some lunch. For about 30 bucks.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I have to tell you guys, though. Unless there is serious, serious chemistry, taking a first date to an expensive restaurant is sending the wrong signals unless, of course, you fart hundred-dollar bills. But if you're an ordinary guy who lives paycheck to paycheck and you're taking your date to Chez Riche, you're basically going for broke--in more ways than one. You'll impress her more if you take her someplace nice outdoors with a picnic basket, a bottle of wine and some lunch. For about 30 bucks.
You are absolutely correct. The hard part, was that many of the girls I have taken out expect nothing less than a nice fancy dinner so they can get all dressed up or whatever other reasons.

Perhaps I should find different woman?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:40 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Dang, you went through all of that?

I'm not looking at the dang on menu. I eat at Applebees, often, so I'm pretty sure on what things cost there. If you add up what the appetizer costs and the entree (depending on what you get), your bill will come close to that. The point of the matter is and the point I was trying to make is that $24 is NOT expensive. So, again, I guess she considers Applebees, TGIF's, and even Olive Garden, expensive.
at all those restaurants you listed, my entree has never costed near 24 dollars... maybe the restaurants in your area are inflated?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i am not including alcohol in this.

on another board (not on cd) i said that this guy took me to an expensive restaurant and dinner was 24 dollars each. a few men said that is not an expensive meal. i consider that much really expensive!
You are not from LA are you? Im mean really. You say it in your posts, but I dont believe you.

$24.00 each is pretty standard Cheesecake factory fare. Not expensive by any means. Id say its about average to low end for a dinner date. Cheap would be Chilis or El Torito. I think you start to get into the expensive range with the likes of Ruths Chris steakhouse or Delmonicos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships