Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,633,364 times

Advertisements

The other day, I met up with some friends at the bar. One friend, who was a woman, got hit on by some guy when she went up to the bartender to get a drink. They seemed to really hit it off. After a while, she brought the guy back to our table to hang out with the rest of us. All the women in the group seemed to be into him. He was tall, good-looking, etc. But what I noticed most of all was that he was very confident in himself, especially on the subject of his work, investment banking. None of us work in anything like that so we knew little about the subject. So he kind of dominated the conversation. We all listened intently. Finally, I asked a question. I wasn't trying to trip him up. I just got confused by something he said. What happened next was rather amusing. My question wasn't a difficult one, but it seemed to confuse him. The more he answered, the more he contradicted himself and the more questions it raised, which he also couldn't answer. After a while, it became obvious that he wasn't an investment banker at all. Before long, he got up to go the bathroom, but he never came back to the table.

Obviously, there are plenty of guys like this. They may dress fancy to make you think they make a lot of money when they don't. They may stick their chest out and suck in their gut to make you think they're buff (those guys really make me laugh). Or like the guy I mentioned above, they pretend to be something they're not.

My question is for the women. Most women I've met say they find confidence very attractive. And guys know this, which is why most will try to act confident, even though, deep down, they're full of insecurities. They like to act like they're tough and in control. As a guy, I find it both entertaining and a little disappointing how easily some guys fool women into thinking they're confident men when they're really not. So my question is how do you handle it when you discover a guy isn't as confident as you thought? Do you just laugh it off? Has it happened to you at a point that was far too late? Does it change the way you look at other guys? Any interesting stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,701,496 times
Hey, he might be an investment banker after all

What you did was "institute" oversight and auditing

It's such guys who actually wrecked the economy. They didn't know what they were doing and nobody was asking questions, until it was too late.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
You just start a conversation, and see how long it takes them to start bragging, offering up personal details you never asked about.

Good question though, I've long struggled to understand why so many otherwise picky women will buy into a guy's flagrant lies. I've had this discussion recently, and the answer I got was: "We just want to believe it's true."

Last edited by le roi; 07-27-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The other day, I met up with some friends at the bar. One friend, who was a woman, got hit on by some guy when she went up to the bartender to get a drink. They seemed to really hit it off. After a while, she brought the guy back to our table to hang out with the rest of us. All the women in the group seemed to be into him. He was tall, good-looking, etc. But what I noticed most of all was that he was very confident in himself, especially on the subject of his work, investment banking. None of us work in anything like that so we knew little about the subject. So he kind of dominated the conversation. We all listened intently. Finally, I asked a question. I wasn't trying to trip him up. I just got confused by something he said. What happened next was rather amusing. My question wasn't a difficult one, but it seemed to confuse him. The more he answered, the more he contradicted himself and the more questions it raised, which he also couldn't answer. After a while, it became obvious that he wasn't an investment banker at all. Before long, he got up to go the bathroom, but he never came back to the table.

Obviously, there are plenty of guys like this. They may dress fancy to make you think they make a lot of money when they don't. They may stick their chest out and suck in their gut to make you think they're buff (those guys really make me laugh). Or like the guy I mentioned above, they pretend to be something they're not.

My question is for the women. Most women I've met say they find confidence very attractive. And guys know this, which is why most will try to act confident, even though, deep down, they're full of insecurities. They like to act like they're tough and in control. As a guy, I find it both entertaining and a little disappointing how easily some guys fool women into thinking they're confident men when they're really not. So my question is how do you handle it when you discover a guy isn't as confident as you thought? Do you just laugh it off? Has it happened to you at a point that was far too late? Does it change the way you look at other guys? Any interesting stories to share?
I don't mind if a man isn't confident, what I mind and loath is when a man/guy, lies and pretends he is something he is not, like your friend here who you met at the bar.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,027,850 times
This is why I love to ask people questions. I like to hear reasons behind their thoughts and opinions and especially to see if they're just blowing smoke.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,096,949 times
Unfortunately theres tons of women out there who are all about image and what a guys status is,so if you can convince them and sell them that image you got a decent chance to get her..

But i agree theres allot of phonies out there unfortuantely theres women who fall for it..

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,535,988 times
Someone said it in the quotes/advice thread; be outstanding without standing out. Hard to explain, and it's not always one thing but a combination of several. I can usually tell when guy is lacking confidence. It's like class, you can't fake it. You either have it or you don't.

These days, it's pretty much a party-pooper. I'll politely pull back. That brings with it a laundry list of problems.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,702,353 times
He was a banker. They all act confused right now...look at the financial crisis.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Unfortunately theres tons of women out there who are all about image and what a guys status is,so if you can convince them and sell them that image you got a decent chance to get her..

But i agree theres allot of phonies out there unfortuantely theres women who fall for it..
and what happens when she finds out you lied?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,096,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and what happens when she finds out you lied?
Im just talking about guys into one night stands..Though if he ever hides it logn enough to get into a relationship the owmen may feel she can fix him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships