Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Back to the point of the thread:

-snip-

The point is junking away $100,000 in school costs/debt for something that is never going to be used to pay said debt off. If you're interested in it, take a course or two in it, don't major in it.
Let's see, I'm sort of in the mood for this, after spending the last two days chugging through *yet another* bar exam. As I said before, I was a religion/spanish double major in college. Where did that get me? To a top tier law school with a partial scholarship.

Did it matter what I majored in at college? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, it was better that I majored in things that I was actually interested in (and tended therefore to do better in) than the more "useful" subjects. After all, my "silly majors" saved me about 50,000 dollars in law school tuition.

And, in the grand scheme of things, my "useless majors" have actually made me a heck of a lot more interesting to speak with at cocktail parties than you run of the mill computer science major. Don't discount that one...I've gotten some of my best jobs through networking like that.

So, now, what was your point? That some people are "turned off" by useless undergraduate majors? I'll end this post by reiterating what I said earlier in this thread, if someone judges me by *that*, I'm sure they're smart enough to find the exit door.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
And that is another gripe I have with these majors, they're sooo easy, there really is no prestige or even respect about them. How many times does an employer look at job applications, sees psych major, and rolls his eyes?

Taken at face value, a major in mathematics isn't worth all that much. The world only needs so many math teachers. That being said, the possibility of the student finding a job semi-related to his major are excellent (accounting, banking) but ALSO a job that absolutely has no relevance to math. That's because employers look at the major just not at face value and what someone might have learned but also as a general preconception of who a person generally is.

Anyone can walk through a psych major. You don't walk through electrical/chem engineering or mathematics being stupid. Walk past a college in the middle of any given day and ask all the people playing frisbee on the front lawn what their majors are. You think employers don't know this? If someone came to me wanting a job and all he had was a math major, I'd almost want to make a job for him. That fact that he is a hard worker and dedicated is a given.
Then your company just got taken for a ride by yours truly. I was a math major and actually got great grades, but I'm the laziest, most noncommittal piece of crap I know. It's just that I've always been extremely gifted at understanding abstract concepts.

You gave me a great idea, though. Now I kind of want to go interview with some idiot hiring manager who thinks I'm some kind of god just because I understand real analysis. Take home a few paychecks for doing virtually nothing and then ride off into the sunset. It would serve him right for thinking the college major makes the man.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I have a degree in underwater basket weaving

Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I have a degree in underwater basket weaving
That is totally hot!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Quote:
And that is another gripe I have with these majors, they're sooo easy, there really is no prestige or even respect about them. How many times does an employer look at job applications, sees psych major, and rolls his eyes?
No, they see the high GPA from the third rate school and say, "I can justify hiring this person."

Years ago, I did an audit on hiring and this is what I saw: high GPA, bad school and resume in pencil - gets job. Lower GPA from good school, not considered.

They may roll their eyes but HR is best at covering their butts!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,514 times
I love liberal art degree holders, as long as they can feed themselves or I'm loaded enough to feed her. I know I probably will nail more $$$$ after graduation that most liberal art majors, at least initially. But after spending a decade in engineering, it really starts to wear me down, I still like it, but in no way I want to live with it 24/7. I'd love to have a woman with, say degree in music, to educate me on all the nice classic music I love but can't name. The fact that at least according to my experience, relatively few women major in science/engineering, those who do are too damn smart, doesn't help either. I love smartness, I just don't want somebody who knows so much about my speciality that the mere presence of her make me feel I deserve to be fired right here right now.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
No, they see the high GPA from the third rate school and say, "I can justify hiring this person."

Years ago, I did an audit on hiring and this is what I saw: high GPA, bad school and resume in pencil - gets job. Lower GPA from good school, not considered.

They may roll their eyes but HR is best at covering their butts!
My own experience has been the exact opposite. All my employers commented on how impressed they were that a graduated from a really good school; not one of them ever requested my transcript or asked about my GPA.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
My own experience has been the exact opposite. All my employers commented on how impressed they were that a graduated from a really good school; not one of them ever requested my transcript or asked about my GPA.
Likewise.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I've been part of the interview process and to be honest, once you have a few yrs under your belt with some accomplishments, that meant far more to us then what school someone went to or their GPA. This is at least applicable in my field anyway. Others may very I suppose.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Of, course, remember that this guy also believes that all newborns should be subjected to an immediate paternity test. Kind of a winner, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships