Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,676,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Uncle Sam and big brother know all they need to know about me. Pull a file for s****s and giggles fellas!LOL...... It doesn't worry me because I am who I say I am.
That's nice. Your rights, your wallet. Stay away from mine. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:09 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,246,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That's nice. Your rights, your wallet. Stay away from mine. Thanks.
Some people make sacrifices in life and that stays with them until the day they die!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,681,864 times
Quote:
Some people make sacrifices in life and that stays with them until the day they die!
That's the essence of liberty. Stop crying out for Daddy Government to come in and baby you.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Should be mandatory these days!!
Agreed. Up to 30% of births in the west are not children of the man who thinks they're the father.

And if a woman cannot caught up verifiable paternity and is asking for govt handouts, I don't think they should get them, or at least get a bottom tier version. Some states do this already, but for the wrong reason. in California the father has to pay back the state for any welfare the woman is given, which is clearly ass backwards, but that's another argument for a different thread.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
That's the essence of liberty. Stop crying out for Daddy Government to come in and baby you.
I'll leave this one be!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Agreed. Up to 30% of births in the west are not children of the man who thinks they're the father.
Just a couple of months ago, it was 10%, now it's 30%? You guys are all over the place with your made-up statistics. Why don't you just say it's 100% and be done with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
And if a woman cannot caught up verifiable paternity and is asking for govt handouts, I don't think they should get them, or at least get a bottom tier version.
Sorry, but that's unintelligible. What exactly are you saying? That if a woman can't prove paternity, then the child shouldn't get welfare? Hmm. If she could prove paternity, why wouldn't the biological father pay child support? Oh, right, I forgot -- you are against men supporting their children, period. Which, of course, makes the question of legitimacy irrelevant.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,179,426 times
I still don't understand the mandatory portion of this argument. If you think you're not the father, get the test. Why is the lives of others your business, rugged, nutz, etc?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,410,164 times
Quote:
I agree and as hard as it is to say would help keep people honest! I don't even know how I got started in this thread because it has nothing to do with me or my life anyway. It's reasons like this that some of us guys prefer to stay single. Quite simply put we don't need the BS!
Do you actually think single = not capable of reproduction? Or are you single and celibate/homosexual too?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you actually think single = not capable of reproduction? Or are you single and celibate/homosexual too?
Single means single. No women and no dating. It's a personal choice I have made and so far it was the right decision to make. Will that status change? I honestly can't answer that right now.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM

888 posts, read 885,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, I think the reason is that liberty is not a universal value. Power is a universal value. Most people crave power much more than they crave liberty, and would be perfectly willing to gain the former by sacrificing the latter -- especially if the liberty being sacrificed isn't their own. This is what this whole thread is really about: the idea of subjecting all infants to mandatory paternity testing is thrilling to certain people here because it represents power over women. Notice how no one is talking about requiring all men to submit their DNA sample, so that it could then always be available for matching against all infants born. This is a point I brought up several times, and it is consistently ignored. The purported need for certainty about paternity is really a red herring here.
Sure, Liberty is not universally valued, but we are talking about legislation, and in this case, we can concentrate on the US (and even other Western Democracies). Thus, Liberty and Power can be equally valued, and you don't have to give up one to get the other. Furthermore, Power can obviously be a positive, benefitting those within your sphere of influence. Having a high level of liberty is very empowering, and vice-versa.

Yes, the thread is about mandatory testing - as opposed to asking your girlfriend/wife to test. I can see why people don't want to take responsibility for their own DNA testing (making it mandatory), but I doubt that idea stems from wanting increased power over women. Insert the word liberty there, because not being obliged to support a child who is not yours must be liberating for many. I think a lot of guys are simply angry/scared/frustrated, because of the frequency of women assigning paternity to the incorrect father. I don't think it is to "punish" the woman prematurely.

On the other hand, I can see the usefulness in building DNA databases to match kids with fatherless children, but as a guy, I hope we don't go that far.

In my opinion, I think it's up to the individual guy to take personal responsibiliy to ensure that they are not incorrectly assigned paternity.

So, I would say no to mandatory testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.