U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Status: "Desperately searching for the grading fairy...." (set 8 days ago)

21,939 posts, read 16,258,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
C'mon, tho, you don't think Nature's study of comparisons is interesting? I was quite surprised when I first came across it.
Well, I can't read it so I can't tell you if it's interesting.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM

20,885 posts, read 18,452,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay. If you have no choice but to buy, you'll pay a lot. I would expect prices to go up, way up because labs will have to buy more equipment, hire more people and pay overtime to handle the volume. You'll also see human error increase and the child might be 5 before you get the results .

Honestly, if I owned a lab, my prices wouldn't go down. They'd go up. I'd make as much as I could off of this folly before the goverment decided it was just too expensive to continue because I know that once other labs come on line, in anticipation of increased volume and the government drops the practice as a budget cut, I might not be able to make a living at all. Make hay while the sun shines.

You are correct. As with anything, when demand is high and supply low, prices INCREASE.
I'll insert a point here, as I have worked in health care--specifically, for two major PPOs--for several years. I'll oversimplify this, but the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (or CMS, a formidable entity) help to set the usual & customary (U&C, also called UCR, where the R stands for "reasonable") prices and fee schedules for a state, which is how insurance companies determine what to pay providers. A doctor can say, "I charge $400 for this service," but CMS can answer, "Well, everyone else charges $250, so that's U&C." Typically, an insurance company reimburses 80% of the U&C, not what the doctor feels like charging. To belong to a PPO, the doctor will write off the remaining $150 ($400 - $250). Many doctors do not accept various insurance plans that do not pay them "enough," but this can affect their ability to attract patients.

Long story short: If we woke up tomorrow and America's concept of personal freedom no longer existed, and mandatory testing was enacted (this would be the day after we discovered the moon is, in fact, made of green cheese--but bear with me), pricing would still be somewhat controlled by CMS.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'll insert a point here, as I have worked in health care--specifically, for two major PPOs--for several years. I'll oversimplify this, but the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (or CMS, a formidable entity) help to set the usual & customary (U&C, also called UCR, where the R stands for "reasonable") prices and fee schedules for a state, which is how insurance companies determine what to pay providers. A doctor can say, "I charge $400 for this service," but CMS can answer, "Well, everyone else charges $250, so that's U&C." Typically, an insurance company reimburses 80% of the U&C, not what the doctor feels like charging. To belong to a PPO, the doctor will write off the remaining $150 ($400 - $250). Many doctors do not accept various insurance plans that do not pay them "enough," but this can affect their ability to attract patients.

Long story short: If we woke up tomorrow and America's concept of personal freedom no longer existed, and mandatory testing was enacted (this would be the day after we discovered the moon is, in fact, made of green cheese--but bear with me), pricing would still be somewhat controlled by CMS.
Only if insurance companies are paying for it. Insurance companies have no reason to pay for paternity testing. It's been suggested, here, that the parents pay for it. If you know your customer MUST buy, do you lower or raise your rates?

If the government gets involved, whether it cost more or less would be determined by who the owner of the lab was or was not in bed with in politics .

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
My old engineering college just invested millions to install that software. It maintains a database of all known engineering projects in several domains, somewhere the research theses get posted to a common server, it's more of a joint program across several universities in several countries to fight this project stealing thing. Coz finally it only damages the school reputation, if the copying student gets credit and gets accepted into McKinsey or SAP, and he is found to suck. It usually beats back on the institution

They installed it in 2005 and it's still not that perfect, but it weeds out 60% of the cheats and that itself is enough to scare the students into doing authentic work.

It's sad, I feel sorry for the students of this generation. That's why they come to work and they feel clueless. Lot of guys get caught trying to google to perform critical work, they get the pink slips way too often.
I feel sorry for them too. They've had someone doing for them since they were small and have no clue how to do for themselves. I teach 11th adn 12th grades and I get parents coming in and arguing with me about grades. Sadly, if I owned a company, I wouldn't want to hire many of my students to do even mundane tasks let alone important ones.

I have a theory that as baby boomers retire, companies are going to start offering them incentives to reenter the work force because they won't be able to find reasonable replacments for them in the graduating generation.

I feel bad for new grads who don't have a clue but they'd better get one fast. Yes, YOU are expected to DO WORK for a living. Imagine that.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM

20,885 posts, read 18,452,256 times
Quote:
Only if insurance companies are paying for it. Insurance companies have no reason to pay for paternity testing. It's been suggested, here, that the parents pay for it. If you know your customer MUST buy, do you lower or raise your rates?

If the government gets involved, whether it cost more or less would be determined by who the owner of the lab was or was not in bed with in politics .
/shrug

I have no idea whether it would be covered or not; there's a lot of government intrusion and regulation going on right now anyway. Still, I may as well wonder where the green-cheese moon people would like to go for dinner.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,024,270 times
Quote:
Well, I can't read it so I can't tell you if it's interesting.
What's with the sacrcasm, Ivory? geesh.

Any way, I re-booted and still can't get on, but I did find this.

"Last December, Nature published a News story about the accuracy of two online references sources. We compared the website of an established publication, Encyclopaedia Britannica, with that of Wikipedia, a new kind of online encyclopaedia that anyone can edit and update, regardless of expertise.

The result (see Nature 438, 900901; 2005) surprised us, and many others. Forty-two expert reviewers carried out the comparison. After we had tallied their results, we saw that they had picked up errors (the great majority of them minor) at a rate of about three per online Britannica item and about four per Wikipedia item."
Britannica attacks : Nature

It's a response to complaints coming from Britannica.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 AM

12,611 posts, read 8,084,601 times
Quote:
Given that demanding a paternity test is a huge slap in the face, it's probably going to be done as part of a divorce. If he asks for it at birth then we divorce at birth. For me, there is no option to continue the relationship after he's called me a lying ho. There just isn't.
Hi Ivorytickler,

You keep destroying your own arguments. That is exactly what will happen. The paternity testing is much more likely to occur at divorce or at some stress point after the bond is established, and then its too late.

You also have no sense of the actual context. If paternity testing is the default, your husband is not asking for the test. The rest of society doesn't trust you. I have no reason to trust you. When the light turns red at a stop light your husband isn't asking you to stop. Its the default. All someone needs to do is op out. Do you want your (male) child circumcised yes or no? Do you want to cancel paternity testing? If yes, sign here.

Since these tests exist, unless it is done early, we are going to see many more late discoveries. I keep telling you how men actually feel about cuckoldry and you keep arguing about it. Most men would rather go through anal rape. Should I tell women how they should feel about rape? I say women should just forget about the rape and have the child. If they don't want the child then they can just let someone adopt it.

Men will find out and they will react very very badly and the child is going to be in impacted. It will happen.

Quote:
Actually, no, if a man is raising a child, he sets precident as the child's father just as I set precident by raising my daughters as their mother. I do not gain the right to sue their biological parents for support should it turn out there was a mix up at the hospital. I've already established that I am responsible for the children under my roof. That does not change if a DNA test proves they are not mine.
A mix up at the hospital has a reciprocating support without willful deception. If a woman has slept with more than one man, she should disclose that so the actual father can be determined.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,024,270 times
Quote:
The only thing I use it for are things I already know but have forgotten. I recognize the right number or compound name when I see it so I know it's right. I just have so much stuff in my head, some falls out sometimes...
Something, imo, that should be taught in today's internet world is how to cross-reference. As I'm sure you well know, if it's on the net, it's cited. Blog citing always gets my goat, but what's worse is that when there is a citation included (be it in a blog, or on wiki), the reader should follow the source. I don't know if folk don't understand this, know how to do it, or just don't want to be bothered.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Ivorytickler,

You keep destroying your own arguments. That is exactly what will happen. The paternity testing is much more likely to occur at divorce or at some stress point after the bond is established, and then its too late.

You also have no sense of the actual context. If paternity testing is the default, your husband is not asking for the test. The rest of society doesn't trust you. I have no reason to trust you. When the light turns red at a stop light your husband isn't asking you to stop. Its the default. All someone needs to do is op out. Do you want your (male) child circumcised yes or no? Do you want to cancel paternity testing? If yes, sign here.

Since these tests exist, unless it is done early, we are going to see many more late discoveries. I keep telling you how men actually feel about cuckoldry and you keep arguing about it. Most men would rather go through anal rape. Should I tell women how they should feel about rape? I say women should just forget about the rape and have the child. If they don't want the child then they can just let someone adopt it.

Men will find out and they will react very very badly and the child is going to be in impacted. It will happen.

A mix up at the hospital has a reciprocating support without willful deception. If a woman has slept with more than one man, she should disclose that so the actual father can be determined.
HUH? How am I destroying my own argument? I've said the testing is likely to occur as part of a divorce. In fact, it's likely to cause one. Where is my argument wrong?

Society has no reason to get involved with who I choose to sleep with until I give them one. As long as my children have a legal father and their father and I are taking care of them, they have no reason. Now, if I applied for welfare, they'd have the right to demand I disclose who the father is and the right to ask I prove it IF he were unwilling to step up to the plate (in order to force him to pay up thus reducing my child's cost to society.). I'm not, so they don't.

If you want the test, then have the test. No one is stopping you. There is, however, no reason to force couples who don't want the test to have it because YOU want it done. If you want it done, have it done. It is your, legal, right. You can even go to court and force it if she says no.

Why do you feel the need to force my husband and myself to have the test when we don't want it because you want it? If you want it, have it. We've chosen trust and that is our choice. YOU have no right to undermine that. You have no right to tell me I need to have my children tested. It's not your business to have your nose into. You only have the right to demand that your, potential, children are tested. So, unless you have reason to believe that my children are yours, stay out of my personal life.

I really don't care what you think about cuckholdry. I don't practice it. So your opinion carries, absolutely, no weight with me. If I did practice it, your opoinion would carry no weight with me. Only my husband's opinion would matter then and I'm pretty sure you're not him.

Yes, a woman should disclose another candidate for father, however, you don't treat us all like lying, ho's because a small percentage of women don't. That is an illogical knee jerk reaction given you have the right to have any child of yours tested at any time you want them tested. The only problem arises if YOU are the one sleeping around because it's possible you sired children you don't know about but no one is asking you to support them so I guess you don't have a problem there.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-11-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Something, imo, that should be taught in today's internet world is how to cross-reference. As I'm sure you well know, if it's on the net, it's cited. Blog citing always gets my goat, but what's worse is that when there is a citation included (be it in a blog, or on wiki), the reader should follow the source. I don't know if folk don't understand this, know how to do it, or just don't want to be bothered.
I agree. I also think it's time for year 13 to be introduced in our high schools. We need more time to prepare kids. But that's an argument for the education board. Maybe we need a post high school high school???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships