Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a woman do you see a man that hunts animals as a turnoff?
Yes! 54 50.00%
No! 43 39.81%
unsure 11 10.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The argument about eating the meat doesn't change anything. The point is a person is having fun killing an innocent animal (while enjoying nature, testing skill, etc.). Just not a turn-on for some of us - the fun/killing part.
Is it "fun" or sport? I see it as practice and demonstration of a skill long forgotten by most of us. It's really hypocrical to point a finger at a hunter if you are not a vegetarian (I don't know if you are or aren't but I'm not).

Personally, I'd become a vegetarian if I had to kill my own dinner. I look at a deer and see Bambi. Unless I'm taking a piece of deer out of the freezer in white paper .

While I'm not into killing my own dinner, there are some positive things to say about hunting. For one, the animals live in the wild until it's time to become dinner instead of being penned up. I'm not sure being farm raised and sent to a slaughter house is more humane. A deer probably doesn't know what hit it if the hunter is any good. A cow going to slaughter probably spends it's last moments in fear and some animals aren't treated well during their lives. I'd rather see free range animals hunted than farm raised ones sent to slaughter. I just don't want to do the hunting or the slaughtering. I'm a hypocrite. I'll eat it but I won't kill it.

I have known several hunters and I never got the impression that it was about killing. More of about providing food. Of being able to demonstrate a skill once the only means of survival for a tribe. Some of us still grow gardens even though we can buy vegetables in the store too. It's kind of the same thing. Do it yourself instead of have someone do it for me.

Done right it is a sport. Animals are smart enough to steer clear of humans as evidenced by the fact that not all hunters return with a kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Of course they don't mention too much that most farm raised turkeys have eaten their fallen breathren, turkeys especially do that in large pens eating everything available.
Now that's just disgusting! All the more reason for me to learn to hunt.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Not an immediate turn-off, but I would be suspicious. I've seen too many men claim poetically that hunting brings them in touch with their masculine side and gives them a chance to exhibit courage, heroism, etc. Not all hunters express those ideas, but many do. I just don't see what's so heroic about going after a stupid, defenseless creature and cornering it with superior weapons and wrapped to the eyeballs in high-tech survival gear. I am not a PETA-sympathizer by a long shot, but in my view, anyone who feels he has to go out and kill a living creature in order to feel "manly", has got some serious issues.
I am a meat eater, a woman, and have hunted and have belonged to a hunting club, not to mention, have grown up on a farm...both my uncles raised black angus and herferd cattle, and had a huge chicken barn. The cows provided us with milk, the bulls, meat, chickens, meat and eggs...
I grew up in a time where you were greatful for the meat and for the hunt. It put food on the table.

Quote:
I've seen too many men claim poetically that hunting brings them in touch with their masculine side and gives them a chance to exhibit courage, heroism, etc.
I don't know where you came up with this statement, but I have never known a hunter who felt like this and I agree, those that do, have problems.

There is good and bad in everything and everyone, even you. But you cannot claim to know who all hunters are b/c you may have read this or heard this from how many people? I'm serious, how many men actually told you this?

that doesn't dictate all hunters are the same. Let me tell you, and I mean this with all my heart, the hunters I came in contact with were fantastic people....they are very active in saving wet lands, and do a great deal for the federal conservancy, which takes boys to camp for a week and teaches them survival and hunting. Which I think every boy should attend, mine did. My son, was an excellent shot, EXCELLENT and like me, loved venison. But for some reason, every year he MISSED his deer. We finally figured out, that he didn't want to shoot a deer and went along for the fun of men's company and stories. so, there you go, and to this day, he is STILL an excellent shot...but couldn't shoot a deer. So be it, I'm proud of the fact that he missed on purpose and never said a thing to anyone.

So, while I understand your sentiments, and the feelings of others here against hunting....meat is good for the body, not in abundance, as in everything, it can be overdone, but there are plenty of people today who still live on game because they are poor.

Deer meat has been proven to be much better for you, then any beef, b/c there is much less fat, and for the life of me, have not figured out why they don't process deer meat.

Unfortunately life isn't always fair, and we can't always have it our way...and while some people feel hunting is bad....others don't...therefore, it happens. But please, don't judge hunters to be bad people...they are not.

there are some hunters, a small few who are bad, but not b/c they are hunters, b/c they are bad people with bad attitudes, be they hunters or not.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
I have to admit that reading through some of the posts in this thread has been quite enlightening. As I have stated before, I don't have a problem with hunting for food, or where the hunts are pretty much necessitated by the over-population of the animals. I suppose I've just never really been exposed to people who do this type of hunting (generally being a "city gal" and all).

Unfortunately, my exposure to hunting has been through people who have gone on "canned hunts" and *shudder* trophy hunts. Also, as I've been thinking about this, I've remembered a friend of mine from college who was from a very small, very rural town in New England. Not only was her father the one and only postman in the town, he was also the town taxidermist. She used to tell us stories about opening up the freezer and seeing random animal heads. *eek* I'm sure that, in the case of edible animals, the rest of the bodies were used for meats, but it still hits me very wrong when people want the head of this animal on their wall. (Goes back to the "trophy" thing for me.)

It may be hypocritical in some people's minds that I don't want to see the head of an animal that I've eaten hanging on the wall, but, yeah...

After reading some of these posts, I have concluded that I probably wouldn't outright discount a guy who hunted, so long as I didn't have to do or see any of the cleaning and, of course, none of the heads were hanging on the walls. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I have to admit that reading through some of the posts in this thread has been quite enlightening. As I have stated before, I don't have a problem with hunting for food, or where the hunts are pretty much necessitated by the over-population of the animals. I suppose I've just never really been exposed to people who do this type of hunting (generally being a "city gal" and all).

Unfortunately, my exposure to hunting has been through people who have gone on "canned hunts" and *shudder* trophy hunts. Also, as I've been thinking about this, I've remembered a friend of mine from college who was from a very small, very rural town in New England. Not only was her father the one and only postman in the town, he was also the town taxidermist. She used to tell us stories about opening up the freezer and seeing random animal heads. *eek* I'm sure that, in the case of edible animals, the rest of the bodies were used for meats, but it still hits me very wrong when people want the head of this animal on their wall. (Goes back to the "trophy" thing for me.)

It may be hypocritical in some people's minds that I don't want to see the head of an animal that I've eaten hanging on the wall, but, yeah...

After reading some of these posts, I have concluded that I probably wouldn't outright discount a guy who hunted, so long as I didn't have to do or see any of the cleaning and, of course, none of the heads were hanging on the walls. That's not too much to ask, is it?
Oh yeah, I can't agree with you more, and definately understand where your coming from and you've certainly got a right to your opinions...for certain....it's your right, not to mention, the squeemish feelings you get from it...

But what I can't tollerate is people who become so angry that to prove they're point, they take one story and blow it way out of porportion or cannot value that everyone thinks and feels differently about issues...and just b/c they feel the way they do, doesn't make them right and us wrong, or us right and them wrong. They refuse to consider the fact that it's ok to feel the way they do, but it's not ok to try and control hunting, or stop it all together due to their feelings. That is how wars are started, by opinioned people who cannot see beyond their own feelings. Not that there are any here posting, but due to where we are today in this world, it is frightening to those of us who are conservatives (not replublicans) but conservative by nature. It seems our rights are becoming very thin, not to mention, the way our government is going, soon, we'll be run by the government who are paid off by special interest groups and the very wealthy. We are becoming a socialized nation, which doesn't sit right and not what our constituion is all about, simply due to people having a point of view and feeling they must control everyone else to think the way they do. That is a very dangerous concept.

So, I do appreciate your post and understanding...but also see the views of others posting here as well. There are some who think nothing of placing the head of a deer they shot in their living room, and while I don't like it either, hey, it's their right, they're feelings and what they grew up believing. If you had a father who hunted and did the same, you might very likely not feel the way you do. It is however, all in how and what we're raised to believe. And we must understand that as a nation...or we are doomed.

what society thinks and believes isn't always right either....it's what works for you, without effecting any one else's life in a negative way, and unfortunately there are people out there who don't even understand that concept, let alone practice it.

Thanks so much for your participation and feedback.

Creme

Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastur4162 View Post
Jimbo,
Are you serious? Unless this was a feeble attempt at sarcasm, you just helped substantiate my point that men who hunt for pleasure possess some, if not all of the character traits that I mentioned previously. Your response was quite venomous, and absolutely disrespectful. I find your comments verbally abusive, mean, ignorant,...ect. I do not include hurtful, since your opinion of me matters not in the least. Actually, I find you mildly amusing.

As for your comment that you "sense" that I must frequent rough trailer parks, that was more than mildly amusing...it was positively hilarious. I've never even seen one, (rough or otherwise) with the exception of the television news depicting the aftermath of one natural disaster or another.

Having cleared up the misconception that you have so quickly formed of me, may I suggest that perhaps, your definition of "hunter" possibly differs from mine. You state that "you either frequent some rough trailer parks or have never actually met a hunter." I define "hunter" as someone who seeks out various types of animals, with the intent to kill the animal, usually with a gun or a bow. I have met many people who, according to this definition, would be considered hunters.

I clearly state in my post that I do not believe ALL hunters are bad people, only the ones that I've personally encountered. If you felt that my statement that the men that I've known, who are hunters, are also misogynous cretins, was somehow a personal attack on you, I apologize.

Though I must say that now, having made your "virtual" acquaintance, you have reinforced my initial belief in the possibility/plausibility that at least some men who hunt have a neural and/or personality defect that incline them toward sociopathic and misogynous behavior.

Having already been kind enough to point out your obvious not so keen "sense" of anything, may I also suggest you not take everything you read on a forum thread so personally? In no way did I direct my initial post to you. I don't know you, nor would I want to know you. I was merely responding to a post that requested an opinion. As harsh as this reality check may be for SOME men...women are entitled to their own opinions, whether you agree with them or not...deal with it.

Oh, and thanks again for the laugh!
Drama much? I may not be the pre-eminent authority on consitutional law but I'm fairly certain that criticism of a rightfully held albeit wrong-headed opinion on the internet does not constitute infringement of civil liberties by any stretch of the imagination, however harsh a reality check that may be.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

So, I do appreciate your post and understanding...but also see the views of others posting here as well. There are some who think nothing of placing the head of a deer they shot in their living room, and while I don't like it either, hey, it's their right, they're feelings and what they grew up believing. If you had a father who hunted and did the same, you might very likely not feel the way you do. It is however, all in how and what we're raised to believe. And we must understand that as a nation...or we are doomed.
Oh, no doubt that it's their right to decorate their home as they see fit. Hey, lots of people decorate their homes in ways that I would never want to live with, and frankly would be a deal-breaker in any sort of serious relationship. Live and let live is what it boils down to when it comes to this. So long as someone doesn't label *me* as "narrow-minded" by not being able to live with it, it's all good.

And, it is nice to be able to have a civilized conversation about this, isn't it?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am a meat eater, a woman, and have hunted and have belonged to a hunting club, not to mention, have grown up on a farm...both my uncles raised black angus and herferd cattle, and had a huge chicken barn. The cows provided us with milk, the bulls, meat, chickens, meat and eggs...
I grew up in a time where you were greatful for the meat and for the hunt. It put food on the table.
I have not made any statements against meat-eating, consumption of eggs or dairy products, or farming in general. My post was not about that AT ALL. Please reread carefully. And please understand that there is a world of difference between subsistence hunting and recreational hunting.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM

51 posts, read 137,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think Michael Moore needs to make a movie on the meat and poultry growing and processing plants. That is much worse than a hunter.
You might be interested in seeing this: Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I have not made any statements against meat-eating, consumption of eggs or dairy products, or farming in general. My post was not about that AT ALL. Please reread carefully. And please understand that there is a world of difference between subsistence hunting and recreational hunting.
as I said before, I don't know of any hunter who hunts and doesn't utilize the meat....my cousin has been hunting for years, and gives the meat to a family who needs it. Matter of fact he even gets it processed for them.

I can understand your fixation being against hunting as you are, but recreational hunting doesn't exist. Yes, people love to hunt...what do you love to do? Get your hair frosted, nails done, label clothes, maybe pedicures...to me, that's a waste of money...but...in the same, it's something You might like to do...? Same difference.

If hunting didn't exist, we'd have a horrible time with all the wildlife interferring in our lives. Do you have any idea how much the insurance companies pay out for hitting deer? Do you have any idea how many people have been killed by deer? I know a woman who hit a deer, the hoofs came thru the wind shield and cut her to pieces.

I know of really stupid people who think that wild animals are pets...and fed bear, invited the bear to come in her home while a toddler was sitting on the floor. What they did was made a food path right thru their patio door. The bear had to be destroyed, Why, b/c of stupid people like that who feed wild animals, they become dependent on humans for food and learn pretty quick where they're next meal is coming from. What animals don't realize, is that humans are away on vacation, he wants his meal, it's not there, now he breaks in the home and ransacks everything.

I'm not calling you stupid, I'm just sharing stories I know. People today, and by the way, I love animals...but way to many people today think animals are human beings. Yes, animals are great, beautiful, and I could not shoot them myself any more, but I what I won't do is label hunters simply b/c I hate hunting and disapprove. Hunters are not bad people...like so many people would have you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships