Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is adamant about not eating what he calls "gay" food, meaning any food that's "liberal", such as health food or vegetarian food. He is a proud conservative and loves only red meat, or chicken only in the form of chicken wings.

His wife cooks their meals, and she tries to cook new things but also tries to keep things healthy for the family. So she makes things with chicken or turkey instead of beef when she thinks she can get away with it. She's an OK cook, and some things she makes are very good. But if her husband thinks it's "health food" at all, he won't eat it.

I think he's off the wall about it, and uses it as a way to keep her down and abuse her.

One evening I went over before he got home from work, and she was just finishing up cooking the meal. I stayed for dinner and the husband arrived while we were eating. She made a turkey meatloaf with stuffing baked into it, and gravy, and it was delicious. She went with turkey because it was healthier than beef, in her mind (and she's right, but the stuffing and gravy negated it, it might as well have been full fat beef meatloaf, really). Anyway, she thought it was healthier. So hubby arrives, and she gives him a plate with a thick slice of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and a side of asparagus.

He looks at the plate, then looks at her, without saying a word. Then he walks over to the garbage can, steps on the pedal to lift the lid, and dumps the asparagus.

She said nothing, and pretended not to even see it. He then ate 3 or 4 bites of the meatloaf and a few bites of the mashed potato, then said, "Is this turkey, or pork or beef???" She said, "Well, do you like it?" He replied, "I'll answer that after you tell me what kind of meat it is." So she told him it's turkey. He looked at her a few seconds, then looked at the plate, and then got up without saying anything, walked over to the garbage can, and scraped all of the food (more than 3/4 of it!) into the garbage. Then he said, "I'm going to Wendy's, I'll be back later." He came back 1/2 hour later and ate his burger and fries.

I couldn't believe he'd do that in front of her, but she didn't seem phased by it. Is this normal? I would think this kind of behavior would enrage a woman who tries to cook good food, but this kind of thing has gone on for years now with them. She now makes two dinners, one for her and the kids (and me, whenever I eat over) and one dinner for him. I've even seen him dump some of those meals, not because they were healthy, but because he'd say, "Something's wrong with it, I don't know exactly what, but it's horrible. I'm going to Wendy's."

That seems incredibly rude to me, but maybe married folks are at ease with this kind of interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Then he said, "I'm going to Wendy's, I'll be back later."
This is not normal. I'm always surprised by women who put up with this kind of behaviour. I just can't wrap my mind around it. But, anyway, with a diet like that, he's going to be paying the price in the end.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,728 times
She's probably used to it. Plus, I reckon with his consistant poor choice in eating habits he won't be around very long. She needs to start cooking him greasy foods with every meal. Or just stop cooking for him all together.In my opinion, his actions are not normal.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
This is not normal and I would not put up with it. That man would be cooking his own food or he would be eating Wendy's every night. . and I would take a nice life insurance policy out on his fast food eatin' butt.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Sounds like he could be one of these guys: WIVES TAKE NOTE: A proper day's cooking!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I would stop cooking for him.
Once when I was married to my first dh he began complaining about the food I had prepared, I politely got up took the plate away from him, scrapped the food out to the dog and sat down and finished my food. He never complained again.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
This is clearly an abusive macho man who is deeply insecure about his manhood. If he treats his wife like that, especially in front of others, it wouldn't surprise me if he abuses and berates her, maybe even physically, in private. What a complete a**hole.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
Granted it is rude behavior, and having witnessed it first hand probably uncomfortable, but I would just leave it alone and let the two of them work it out. DON'T GET IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS!! For good measure I would not go over for dinner anymore either.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Sounds like he could be one of these guys: WIVES TAKE NOTE: A proper day's cooking!
No, he is an atheist agnostic.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Sorry, but that guy is stupid. The epitome of the stupidity that seems to be growing in the country of people who fancy themselves as conservatives. (note: I am conservative, but not the stupid, uneducated, hateful, red necky, racist types you find posting in the Political forum, and I love quiche).

He'd probably kill her if she makes a quiche for dinner with arugula cheese and croissants and cappuccino for dessert. What an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships