Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I'm highly educated and have known some people without college degrees that have excellent conversational skills, they are also very informed on varying topics.

On the flip side I've also known college educated people to be very superficial and boring conversationalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You are SO out of touch. You seem to think that a person must attend college to carry on an intelligent conversation have an interest in anything more complex than... what? Drinking beer?

Oh wait. No, you're only talking about those who couldn't wait to complete high school so they could work. So it doesn't include those who needed to work to help support a family. Or those who wanted to attend college but simply couldn't afford it. But wait. They're all automatically eliminated because they're not college educated.

Okay, now I'm getting confused. Are we talking about blue vs. white collar workers or college educated vs. non-educated? Because I know a lot of blue collar workers with college degrees and a lot of white collar workers with no college education.

So your whole family can't get along with people without a college education? It sounds like you earned your prejudices honestly. Now I feel sorry for you.

"Again... wow" is right! Do all those blue collar friends know how you feel about them? I'll bet they have no idea how lucky they are to be your friends.

Miu, I'm not going to address any more of your statements because they're not worthy of debate. You seem to have this mistaken presumption that a college education makes a person an intellectual and that without a degree one cannot have an intellect.

I know a guy who attended college for one semester after high school. He enlisted in the Armed Forces and was placed in intelligence, a field that only picks from the top 1/2% of enlisted men. He had tested out of tech school while in basic training and went straight to work as an historical writer. He later made a name for himself in advertising, then became involved in newspaper editing. By the age of 30 or so he was editor and publisher of a successful daily newspaper ranked among the best in the country, which he had started from a small weekly, and was vice president of a newspaper chain. He was also president of his state's Associated Press and served on at least a half dozen local and state boards of directors. He got around to all those board meetings and oversaw a handful of newspapers in his own airplane. He retired at age 35. But he is soooo beneath you and your family. The poor ****** is uneducated.

My late wife attended one semester of college. She had an IQ of 170, scored a perfect 1600 on her SATs, was a talented musician (New Jersey all-state), a widely-published poet and a columnist. Yeah, you'd have liked her, except of course, she couldn't have kept up with you intellectually.

I've got an idea for you. Get a clue! College does not make a person an intellectual. Lack of a college education does not make a person a dullard. It can help some people learn, and it can award papers and honors, but it can't make a boring person interesting, and it can't make a stupid person smart.

Incidentally, I have an associates degree. I don't think that counts as college educated, but I did encourage my kids to attend college and made sure they had the money for it. I'm all for higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Again... wow!! First, I have plenty of casual friends that are blue collar types. My mechanics love me. And in the hospitality industry, I get along really well with all the back of the house staff. And right after college, I had a couple of part time jobs in the offset printing industry. I can run a small printing press. I also work on my own cars, and have a decent collection of Snap-on tools. The last time I had a flat tire, I changed it in under ten minutes. I also have changed my own radiator. I actually like working with my hands. However, my brain needs stimulation and blue collar types have never done it for me.

However, I have the right to be very picky about who I chose to become physically and emotionally intimate with. Choosing a s/o is a much more important decision than picking out a platonic close or casual friend. And it's a much more important decision for a woman than a man imo. Why? Because so many married women give up a serious career in order to focus on their marriage and raising their children. I've seen too many married women trapped in an abusive or substandard marriage because she can't afford to raise the kids on her own. Men still get paid more than women. Men are also physically stronger than women. I'd rather be a spinster than be with the wrong man for me.

Part of what goes into a successful marriage is that both partners having common interests and life goals... and if a guy isn't intellectually oriented, then he's not s/o material for me. I'll be his platonic friend, but that's it.

And what's really stupid about your annoyance with me is that I know that I'm not the type of woman that a blue collar guy wants to date or marry. I know that my blue collar guy friends find me very quirky and eccentric. None of them is sad that we're not married. Plus I'm not interested in having kids, and all the married blue collar types I know have large families. I'm really truly NOT their type. So both sides should be happy.
Aren't you the one who works as a waitress?? That's about as blue collar as it gets, yet you won't date a guy who is "blue collar" because your brain needs stimulation?? Let me tell you, some of the blue collar guys I know make some pretty decent coin.

Couldn't someone say that they wouldn't date a waitress because they didn't want someone who was "blue collar" and couldn't provide enough stimulation??

Man, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I've heard of intellectual snobs, but geez, this really takes it to a new level.

You don't need to be white collar to be smart and intelligent.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Absolutely. Trying to impress other people has been a very low priority for me. Other people make it their life, and it always seems so pitiful for some odd reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

I don't believe someone should be considered "down" because they don't have a degree, but again I was not raised to be a snob and live my life trying to impress other people!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM

122 posts, read 381,723 times
As long as I can tell they are smart and is capable of getting a decent job.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Aren't you the one who works as a waitress?? That's about as blue collar as it gets, yet you won't date a guy who is "blue collar" because your brain needs stimulation?? Let me tell you, some of the blue collar guys I know make some pretty decent coin.

Couldn't someone say that they wouldn't date a waitress because they didn't want someone who was "blue collar" and couldn't provide enough stimulation??

Man, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I've heard of intellectual snobs, but geez, this really takes it to a new level.

You don't need to be white collar to be smart and intelligent.
First, I don't think that a lot of you guys are really reading my whole posts. You just want to focus on the lines that upset and offend you.

I have tons of blue collar friends. However for my s/o, I HAVE to have a man that is an intelellectual. Why? Because I have an intellectual side of me that needs to be expressed and stimulated. AND after breaking up with THREE blue collar type men after three years AND breaking their hearts, I just refuse to go there again.

I'm happy with my current boyfriend and it's been over six years. And that's a relationship length record for me. And much of the reason for being so happy with him and for so long is that he is an intellectual type like myself and my family. What's wrong with MY figuring out what kind of man works best for ME???

I have said all along that my preferences for only dating an intellectual man reflect what works best for me, I have never said that this is the winning formula for every woman, it's just my winning formula.

AND I have admitted to liking blue collar work. I have worked in a titanium frame bike factory as a finisher, I've run an offset press and done the prep work for the jobs too, I can do small jobs on my cars. And most of my waitressing was in my youth, because the money and benefits were so good at the hotels. Then I left hotel work. My main work is being an antiques dealer, and I am good at what I do because I have a great collection of research books and I love reading them. I am considered an expert in my specialty.

About my current waitressing job, I live in Massachusetts and we now have a state law that requires residents to have health insurance or suffer tax penalties. And being 50 years old and working for myself, to insurance myself would cost $200-300 a month. So I decided to find myself a job that came with group health insurance, and I did. I work about 20-30 hours a week at a university dining club, I am full time now and my health insurance only costs me $4 a month. I also get a free meal with each shift. Not a bad gig during this recession! I am a practical person, and I feel that what I am doing is very smart. Also waitressing is great exercise for the body and even for the mind as there is much multi-tasking involved in order to do catering work well.

I've never said that I don't like blue collar people, I just have decided to only date men that are my intellectual equal. I've never said I was better than a blue collar person, it's more that a blue collar man's lifestyle would clash with mine.

AND last night, I attended a blue collar party. It was a birthday party hosted by a man who makes his living dealing in scrap metal. About 70 people were in attendance. There was a live southern rock cover band, with the lead guitar player playing a Fender Strat emblazoned with a Confederate flag. And my boyfriend and I had a great time there... but there was nobody I would ever consider dating at that party. The men were too rough around the edges for me. Good guys, but too many swear words and shouts of "f*cking Yankees" and too many cigarette smokers. The prettiest girl with the best figure there was with a blue collar young guy, and his guy friends were very jealous of him. One drunk guy went on and on telling us that she was Jewish and her dad had "more money than god"... And he's already checked to see if she has a sister his age to date. lol And he honestly doesn't understand what she sees in his friend.

So as much as I like blue collar people and blue collar work, I just can't live the blue collar lifestyle. I can go for months without drinking and partying. I like my quiet home life. I enjoy my books and antiques. I love my PBS and NPR. I don't want kids and every blue collar man that I have ever met wanted to have a large family.

I also have no desire to have a boyfriend that I will eventually get bored with. I'm just being honest about my personal needs. And I feel that everyone should be a lot pickier about the people they date and marry. Maybe then, the divorce rate won't be so high in the US.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
And... after reading this reply from this thread about dating a career woman:
Men, would you date (or have you dated) a woman on the career ladder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I personally wouldn't like my wife to be on the career ladder for the reasons you mentioned. Ideally, my wife would stay home and care for my children and me. I certainly don't want a wife who's priority is "work".

Also, you'd think such women would tend towards an aggressive, competitive, "type A" personality type, which I find VERY unattractive in a woman.
It makes me wonder why a blue collar man would even care if a college educated woman refused to date them. Most college educated women are very career minded, most don't want to throw away their expensive education and career just be some stay at home mother to a blue collar man.

And a blue collar man is more likely to have an intense personality clash with an independent college educated woman.

I find that a college educated man is going to be much more supportive of his wife having a career, than a blue collar man.

And the better educated the couple, the more likely they are comfortable with not having any children. And I've never wanted children, and nothing will change my mind over that, not even the man I love.

And to those that brought up Bill Gates and Richard Bramson, they are not blue collar men, or at least they NOT the average people without a college degree. And even with all of their money, I wouldn't marry either of them. I just don't find either of them physically attractive. I would, however, love to be their platonic friend.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:

It makes me wonder why a blue collar man would even care if a college educated woman refused to date them. Most college educated women are very career minded, most don't want to throw away their expensive education and career just be some stay at home mother to a blue collar man.

And a blue collar man is more likely to have an intense personality clash with an independent college educated woman.

I find that a college educated man is going to be much more supportive of his wife having a career, than a blue collar man.

And the better educated the couple, the more likely they are comfortable with not having any children. And I've never wanted children, and nothing will change my mind over that, not even the man I love.

And to those that brought up Bill Gates and Richard Bramson, they are not blue collar men, or at least they NOT the average people without a college degree. And even with all of their money, I wouldn't marry either of them. I just don't find either of them physically attractive. I would, however, love to be their platonic friend.
You had better be grateful for the blue collars of the world then----------otherwise the human race would die out within a generation or two if we were all your 'class' of white collars.

And; no I do not have any children..............it was not meant to be.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
First, I don't think that a lot of you guys are really reading my whole posts. You just want to focus on the lines that upset and offend you.
I didn't know you were a waitress. Now that we all know waiting at tables is not a white collar, intellectual job <no offence to those who do this job, it's just for argument's sake>, I would like to show you something which is highly hypocritical in nature and even bizarrely prejudiced.

Here's your lecture to JBT:
Quote:
And if you are a blue collar kind of guy, just think, your misspellings will screen out all those obnoxious snobby college women. You'll be better off dating and marrying a woman of your same blue collar background. It's all about being as compatible as possible. Don't you agree?
So, let me turn it around. You'll be better off dating and marrying a man of your same waiting background. It's all about being as compatible as possible. Don't you agree?

How does that sound? This is not an attack, but I just want to point out the bizarre disparity which is gushing out of your ideology which is warped by insane prejudices.

So, the variety of jobs you have had so far are fairly blue collar, and there is an intellectual area in your brains, granted, done deal. But when it comes to the rest of the blue collar folks, you comfortably seek to dismiss the possibility of the same intellectual area which can possibly be present in theirs.

If you really think you are stellar, celestial and special, you don't have to denigrate the rest of the world

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I didn't know you were a waitress. Now that we all know waiting at tables is not a white collar, intellectual job <no offence to those who do this job, it's just for argument's sake>, I would like to show you something which is highly hypocritical in nature and even bizarrely prejudiced.

Here's your lecture to JBT:

So, let me turn it around. You'll be better off dating and marrying a man of your same waiting background. It's all about being as compatible as possible. Don't you agree?

How does that sound? This is not an attack, but I just want to point out the bizarre disparity which is gushing out of your ideology which is warped by insane prejudices.

So, the variety of jobs you have had so far are fairly blue collar, and there is an intellectual area in your brains, granted, done deal. But when it comes to the rest of the blue collar folks, you comfortably seek to dismiss the possibility of the same intellectual area which can possibly be present in theirs.

If you really think you are stellar, celestial and special, you don't have to denigrate the rest of the world
"Bizzare" is the perfect to describe some of her posts. The fact that she admitted she's a waitress was shocking...to say the least.

Good find, man.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:

Who is Richard Bramson? Don't you mean Richard Branson?

I know you don't care for my advice, but I'll give it to you anyway: quit with the sweeping generalizations about "blue collar men", as if you know what they all like / don't like. It may surprise you to know that not all blue collar men are beer swilling rednecks. Just because you went to one party where a few people were using a few dreaded 'F" words, doesn't mean you can generalize, but you seem to excel at making sweeping generalizations.

Why bother trying to explain that to you, since your prejudices are so deep-rooted that there's really no hope. I don't buy your little facade of "Hey, I have blue collar friends", because it doesn't wash -- it's kind of like the closet racist that pretends he/she has black friends. Let's face it....you're a snob. At least be adult enough to admit it, instead of feeding us with more BS and digging more of a hole for yourself (it seems as if the more you post, the more you reveal your true colors).

The irony of all this: you're a waitress. There's nothing wrong with being a waitress, of course...but I believe the pot just called the kettle "black".

Nighty, night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships