Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times

Advertisements

I appreciate a college degree(s) or a person must be well read. I don't want a clash of worlds, ideas, or environments to occur. I have dated those without as well and on occasion this can cause a feeling of having to "prove" that they are just as smart as you are. This manifests itself in ways as simple as asking a question and you get an answer coupled, and you're educated or you have this degree. ***Red Flag - Insecurity Alert.
In short, I would not say degree or nothing because there are some people who are well read and intelligent who have not earned their degree. But that person has to be secure in their decision not to earn a formal education and not feel like they have to prove their intelligence level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

382 posts, read 758,467 times
I avoid being with a woman who hasn't been to university.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
I prefer at least some college education, but if I had to pick between a man with a masters degree that was stupid in everything but his area of expertise, or a high school graduate that had a successful private business, I'd pick the high school graduate any day.

I'm serious about the ones that are masters at only one thing too. Not exaggerating. I know a guy who is working on his masters in mathematics, but can't spell, is a slow reader, and doesn't really get science or the arts. He gets math and that's it. He's not mentally disabled so I can't make "rainman" claims. He's just dumb unless it comes to numbers. He has issues getting and keeping jobs because he's good at math, but not the other parts of his job. He's ok to have small talk with, but you can't talk deep with him because he's a one trick pony. He has few friends because he doesn't like to hang with anyone that has differing interests. He likes math and video games and that's it. I could never become intimate with someone like that.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 AM

182 posts, read 647,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've only ever dated men with a higher level education.

How about you? Would you date someone who had a lesser education than you, or no?

I know plenty of people that I went to college with that skated through or crammed before finals and then forgot everything a week later. They may have a piece of paper that shows their education, but not too much in their head to back it up

And then there are people that don't have a higher education but are avid readers/learners. I have so much respect for people that just learn for the sheer joy of it.

I would not date someone who wears ignorance like a badge of honor! The "I don't read books, I watch movies" "i stopped doing math after high school" "Figuring out the tip in my head gives me a headache" kind of people. There are many things to be proud of, but ignorance is not one of them

Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Yes, I would. There are a lot of very intelligent and successful men out there without a degree. Being motivated is very important however. I wouldn't want someone that stays in a completely dead end job just because they are too lazy to do something else.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM

78,410 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've only ever dated men with a higher level education.

How about you? Would you date someone who had a lesser education than you, or no?
Yeah, I currently am. I tend to value certain things highly and view other criteria quite flexibly.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Life educates all of us.

Sure I would date people who didn't attend university. If I limited myself to only people who were more educated than me....there wouldn't be much left to date. And lots of them would be insufferably boring.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sure I would date people who didn't attend university. If I limited myself to only people who were more educated than me....there wouldn't be much left to date. And lots of them would be insufferably boring.
I've never found highly educated people boring. Uneducated ones are, though. But to each his own.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM

151 posts, read 270,427 times
Yes I would. I couldn't judge someone just because of their edu. background.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
i dont think it matters...i would rather have someone whos smart yet with some street sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships