Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,393,642 times

Advertisements

I've only ever dated men with a higher level education.

How about you? Would you date someone who had a lesser education than you, or no?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,280,431 times
Wow....men with no college degrees must be true bottom feeding scum

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,285,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

How about you? Would you date someone who had a lesser education than you, or no?
I got a B.S. getting a Masters in the fall but i would date someone without a college education....why not.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,393,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Wow....men with no college degrees must be true bottom feeding scum
No offense intended.

But I try and date up, not down.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,494,818 times
I have dated both and found there is up and down in both. A college education is very admirable, but not an indication of good character or success.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,012,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post

College education does not intelligence denote. Two of my three husbands have/had no more than a high school education but they are quite intelligent, wordly and capable of carrying on conversations on many different topics.

On the other hand, I prior to getting married this last time, I dated several guys with advanced degrees (one with PhD) who were so boring and self-centered that I did not waste my time on a second date.

Education is not an indicator of anything except how many classes someone slept through. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,014,044 times
My husband doesn't have a degree and I have a BA and a MS. He is far from stupid and we can discuss a lot of topics (well, we used to, now it's just money stress talk).

He has a job, I don't have one...

I don't think you need a degree or two to make a good husband or boyfriend.
You may find a diamond out there if you don't have a laundry list...

Kindness, sense of humor, similar morals...these things matter more than if someone has a BA after their name..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,967,183 times
Sure. I don't have a college education, but my chosen career field doesn't require one. At least to get in the door anyways. As long as the potential girlfriend has some goals in life and not just wandering around aimlessly, I'd be open to it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,791,213 times
I have no college degree and make more money than any of my friends who got a degree with the exception of one, and he's a chiropractor with his own business. It doesnt make you smarter because you went to college, it usually only means you drank too much and had wild drug orgies...certainly not qualities I look for in a partner. I dont judge women based on the degree of education however, I only look for ones who have a decent job or can contribute financially. Sometimes that means they have a degree, other times not so much. Mostly I prefer someone who isnt a snob and believes that a college degree equates success akin to some type of feudal system hierarchy. People like that I tend to avoid.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 PM

51,905 posts, read 52,289,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
College education does not intelligence denote. Two of my three husbands have/had no more than a high school education but they are quite intelligent, wordly and capable of carrying on conversations on many different topics.

On the other hand, I prior to getting married this last time, I dated several guys with advanced degrees (one with PhD) who were so boring and self-centered that I did not waste my time on a second date.

Education is not an indicator of anything except how many classes someone slept through. LOL

20yrsinBranson
I've known some really "educated" people who were quite dull, and lacked commons sense. I've known a couple of people who came from a family that were doing pretty good, definitely upper middle class, verging on wealthy. These people just "hid" out in school getting multiple degrees not getting a job.

Education is one of those things that society puts so much emphasis on that people can use sometimes to avoid the real world.

Academia is not the "real" world. The real world works on deadlines and bottom lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships