Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with just talk. I don't agree that you have to stop, but I agree that your husband should be informed, lest he think that you ARE trying to hide this.

There's nothing to hide--you've both moved on. While you are interested enough in each other as people, there's no reason to make any assumptions about returning to a former relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
If I discovered my wife was sending "flirty" emails to an old boyfriend I would be very unhappy.

That's just plain wrong, imo.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Someone (Chessiemom) said one does not equal the other, that is the best answer. I would be honest with my husband and at the same time change the tone to friendly not flirty.

Looks like trouble .

Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I agree with Urban Blasphemy, so I won't add a thing!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
I don't agree that mild flirtation is necessarily always a bad thing. I do, however, think that keeping this a secret is a very bad thing.

So, I would be forthcoming about the fact that you are in touch. I had a similar situation; an ex's (from way way back) sister and I ran into each other. She wanted to pass on my contact info to the ex, I agreed, but I immediately let my partner know that the ex might be in touch, just as a matter of being 100% honest in our relationship. It was very much appreciated.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Is this cheating? Should I tell my husband? I have no intention of anything more than an email friendship.

Heck no! I think you should meet the ex boyfriend at a day room in a hotel, which is what this couple did!

The affair - Salon.com

Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
You are flirting with danger and you know it.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:25 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Do what you would expect your husband to do.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have been married for 17 years. I recently received an out-of-the-blue phone call from a former boyfriend. He left his phone number and email address and after a week or so of thinking about it, I emailed him.

He is married with two kids as am I. Our emails border on flirty but are we both say the same things about being content with our marriages and having no desire to hurt anyone (especially our kids).

Neither of us has told our spouses about our emails. We "talk" about everything from work, to extended family, to parenting. In some ways it is a lot like my email relationships with other friends except for the past history.

Is this cheating? Should I tell my husband? I have no intention of anything more than an email friendship.
Wow, the same thing happened to me, except it was my ex-husband.

I told my husband when he called me the first time. He did not seem concerned or particularly interested. I see no reason to give him a blow-by-blow account of every conversation I have. I don't do this with anyone elses email, so why should this be any different? He is just another person that I once knew.

Unless you think it will cause a problem, I see no reason to go into a bunch of detail with your hubby.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Well if you have a history with this person , it is too easy to get that "old feeling" again. Too easy. Its so easy, one of these days you will be chatting with him and your husband will walk in and see that you are chatting with the ex boyfriend and ask you and you will lie about a few things just so you can keep chatting with him. Then as days go by, you will find more and more things to hide. You wont want to let the friendship go so you will make more and more excuses. Before you know it, you will think your husband and the ex boyfriend's wife are the enemies to your relationship, I mean, uh, friendship. Then one day you will leave your husband because he just doesn't understand you like your ex does.

Right now you might not feel anything but friendship for him, but if the feelings were there once, and he is doing his hardest to make you laugh, the feelings will return.

Honestly, I think he is unhappy in his relationship and thats the reason he contacted you to begin with. Men aren't always crystal clear about their motives. Be extra careful since he is not just any friend. He might have some ideas about you that you are unaware of , but that you will nevertheless know once you find yourself caught in his web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships