Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,906 times

Advertisements

I dont think its an embarressing thing to be divorced young. I was married at 20 and divorced at 22 with a baby. But I am now almost 27 and engaged to the best man ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
No one should be embarrassed to say they are divorced or single. Yes, it's normal to wonder how someone came to be divorced or why someone is still single. If I meet someone who's divorced and/or has kids, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering what happened. But until they tell me, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Divorce shouldn't be seen as a blemish on someone's resume and if you're going to judge someone, judge them on who they are today, not who they were in a previous life.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Well, I left my husband when I was 33. We had been together since I was 16.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I read an article once that stated single never married folks should be cautious marrying someone divorced. Not that the divorced individual is any less worthy, just that it's easier to do it again once youv'e been through it once (or twice, three times, etc.) you are familiar with the process and the "fear factor" is diminished.

Not necessarily my personal opinion, just something I read.
It's true. The divorce statistics for second and subsequent marriages prove it, too. Of course, other issues are involved in these marriages as well, but once you've crossed some line, any line, you're more likely to do it again.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 PM

108 posts, read 395,392 times
I was married at 18, just turned 24, and my divorce is finishing up. I have three kids, all under five years. I'm not embarassed at the fact that I am divorced, b/c I tried to make it work, but staying with an abusing, controlling, cheating, liar isn't what marriage is supposed to be. Yes, it's extremely difficult and I have a fear that I may never marry again, but it was for the best, for me and my children. Everyone's situation is different, and I hope that I'm not judged just because I'm labeled "divorced". I can definitely say that I NEVER want to go through this again, it is very painful. For me, just because I did it once doesn't necessarily make it easier to do it again, I know the pain and crap that is dealt with, and if it was possible to fix, it would've been fixed. Did I want that at my age?? NO, but it's what happened and I can accept that.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Being divorced by the age of 35 is not suspect to me at all. Relationships don't work out at all stages in life. If I recall, there was s thread not too long ago about someone questioning folks that weren't married by the age of 35 or so....

Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 22,576 times
I married at 31..i had known my husband for many years before that. The last year I have found out he was in trouble with the law, he never finished college and he had to go into rehab. I swore I would never get divorced and I stuck though him though all of this and the betrayal nearly killed me. Through it all I realized he was never gateful that I stuck by him and we lost our life savings due to his legal bills. Anyways one day I realized that I need it to be about me a bit more and maybe I deserve more than being the doormat I was accostomed to being. I talked to him about it, I set up marriage counseling and the second session he has he told me he thought he was too bust that week working so let's move it..the following night he made plans to go out with a friend and that was when I knew he really didnt care about anything but himself. So I am almost 35 and have a hard lesson under my belt. I tried all I can to make it work but the other person has to try too. I went to a therapost, I quit smoking, I went back to school and told him I want a divorce. I am scared every day but at the same time, I dont think it will be worse than the life I have now..I finally took a look in the mirror and said gthe stress is killing me and if I keep going like this I will have a heart attack by 50. I have to take sleeping pills just to fall asleep at night. He claims he is looking for another place to live and I am making an appt with a lawyer. Sometimes, no matter how long you wait and how hard you try..it just doesnt work. Now I have to face my priest with this decision. But I deserve a nice and decent life. I am not sure I will marry again after this experience. I would love kids but not sure I can go through this again...sad I know.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:56 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
In my own personal opinion (don't you hate when people say that lol?), I think it's because many people get married when they're young and still evolving and growing as people and sometimes this change makes them feel like they're not right with the person they married anymore.

Also, some people get married because the girl gets pregnant. Some people do it because they're blinded with infatuation and lust. Some people just want to get married to be married.

!00% right

Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've been trying out this Dating website for about 3 weeks now. I have noticed A LOT of women that are under 35y/o, have already been divorced. I have seen many under 30 that were divorced.

I saw one profile and the young lady was 25. I'd be embarassed to tell someone I was divorced and I am only 25.

Damn folks, is it that bad out there?

(This can apply to men as well)
I'm under 35 and on my second marriage and could care less what other people think about my situation. I married the wrong person when I was 18 and it was a huge mistake that I have had to pay for...no one else. Now I am married to a man who I truly believe is ''the one'' for me. But, if this marriage does not work out, I would still consider remarrying.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
By 35 most have already done the kids, marriage, mortgage and such. Most are on their second wind of life.

If you do find someone Ron maybe you can find someone that already has kids that are grown and you will get a single gal with kids out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships