Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking, with females getting farther along in our culture, becoming CEO's, advancing in politics, and just general equality become more matched.

Why are guys the ones who still take out the trash?? Meaning we still seem to have these social roles.

If there is a knock on the door at an odd hour, guess who's answering the door. Why is it when there are social functions the men are out in the garage or on the couch watching sports, while the ladies are chatting in the kitchen?

Do we still retain these roles because of society or they somehow make us feel more secure??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I got to thinking, with females getting farther along in our culture, becoming CEO's, advancing in politics, and just general equality become more matched.

Why are guys the ones who still take out the trash?? Meaning we still seem to have these social roles.

If there is a knock on the door at an odd hour, guess who's answering the door. Why is it when there are social functions the men are out in the garage or on the couch watching sports, while the ladies are chatting in the kitchen?

Do we still retain these roles because of society or they somehow make us feel more secure??
At their core most women still want to be cared for/protected by a man regardless of what job they have. I would think it is probably basic instinct of the male/female roles. Look at animals in the wild, its the same way...the males do all the fighting and the women bring the man food. Those roles dont really change. To be honest, if I hear something wierd at night, I kind of enjoy grabbing the shotgun and seeing what it is.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
Quote:

Irregardless of which sex is the CEO, CEO's live in gated communities or houses and may even have servants...What is the ratio of females to male politicians?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:06 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
At their core most women still want to be cared for/protected by a man regardless of what job they have. I would think it is probably basic instinct of the male/female roles. Look at animals in the wild, its the same way...the males do all the fighting and the women bring the man food. Those roles dont really change. To be honest, if I hear something wierd at night, I kind of enjoy grabbing the shotgun and seeing what it is.
Ahh...so that was you the other night, and not Twinkle.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Ahh...so that was you the other night, and not Twinkle.
Lol, NO!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Looks like this thread might die a quick death.

Bump

Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:

I guess my boyfriend missed that memo... because I'm the one taking out the trash and mowing the lawn. And when my brown lab mix caught and killed a ground hog, and then later on a skunk, I was the one that disposed of the bodies and... washed four dogs who got sprayed by the skunk.

Last night at the blue collar party, I was chatting with the guys and taking about performance cars and what equipment the rock band was using. I had nothing to say to the other women there.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
I know a surprising amount of couples where the wife works full time and the husband cooks and cleans. Interestingly, the dynamics of their relationship is actually a lot more traditional than some where the wife is a SAHM and only the husband works outside the home.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:

Why are guys the ones who still take out the trash??

The women's movement has got them nannies, maid services and gardeners.

When the men's movement finally gains steam, we should agitate for a garbage service. Seems only fair.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Hmmm...my husband doesn't take out the trash! What the heck am I doing wrong?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships