Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Ha, they say they want women who are into guy stuff but then they find they can't handle an independent thinking woman who has a lot of male friends. Which is often the case with women who are into male oriented hobbies. Being around a lot of men, she also might have a strong personality and possibly have superior knowledge and abilities in certain areas which certain men might find threatening or emasculating. Awww, she's such a handful - where's my Paris Hilton clone?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You must not be familiar with our friend JonathanLB. He's a saint. Check some of his previous posts. If a woman isnt "perfect" ie, makes a ton of $$, doesnt have perfect breasts perky enough to darn near poke thier own eyes out, isnt between 100 and 105 pounds, he doesnt consider them good enough for him. Or how about his feeling that the less fortunate in our society should just be taken out and disposed of in the most convenient manner so they wont be a burden on society? Yep! Thats St. Jonathan. As humble as ever.

Ahhhh, our American Pie Friend.

Z'@ss Cheese.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/fickle_02/movies/pie.jpg (broken link)

(inside joke for those who will get it)

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Do you even know what a hobby is? A hobby is simply an activity that is done for pleasure. That's it! Do I find some hobbies to be a complete waste of time? Of course, but that doesn't make them any less of a hobby.
So is masturbating a hobby then? How about mass murder? I guess we should ask John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer if what they did was hobbies (if they were still alive). Please. The webster's dictionary definition of a hobby is way too broad. You could get pleasure from anything: nose-picking, serial murdering, stalking people, etc., etc. The key word is activity.

Activity (def.): An educational process or procedure intended to stimulate learning through actual experience.

How can you stimulate learning through gossiping, shopping, or watching entertainment shows?

You can stimulate learning through comic books by understanding the characters, plots, themes, artwork, etc. The same could be said for video games, board games, puzzles, and even card games. As well as learning about the mechanics of automobiles, plains, trains, and boats. And the same could definitely be said for sports, both watching them and engaging in them.

As one previous poster said, "Just because a few women on this forum have hobbies doesn't mean the majority of women do". Shopping is not a hobby, even this so-called bargain shopping you people are talking about. Have you ever been "bargain shopping" with women? Buying clothes you do not particularly like just because they're on sale is not bargain shopping. It's compulsive shopping, and that's something most women engage in.

But like I said, why don't most women take up some real activities like Amelia Earheart did, rather than blaming me and saying I only look after shallow women. Please. I've dated average-looking women simply because they were interested in comic books, sports, video games, or cycling, rather than going after the ditzy pin-up girl who was interested in going to the mall and chatting on her cellphone.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
But like I said, why don't most women take up some real activities like Amelia Earheart did, rather than blaming me and saying I only look after shallow women. Please. I've dated average-looking women simply because they were interested in comic books, sports, video games, or cycling, rather than going after the ditzy pin-up girl who was interested in going to the mall and chatting on her cellphone.
As others have stated, those women exist but they do not represent me, other women here on CD, or most women.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
But like I said, why don't most women take up some real activities like Amelia Earheart did
LOL. Are you kidding?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM

141 posts, read 466,911 times
Sorry, but I will have to give you a bit of grief just like every other woman on here.

I seriously beg to differ -- not that the women you are dating are boring, but rather, why can't shopping, talking on the phone, or watching TV be considered hobbies?

I have lots of hobbies that all mainly involve exercise (running, biking, etc.) and yes, I am on the internet A LOT (which I also consider to be a hobby), but just because I still am able to make amble time in my schedule for my boyfriend doesn't mean I'm boring and I don't have hobbies. I seem to notice that some (not all!) guys let their hobbies consume their lives and forget they have a beautiful woman begging for their attention.

I have also dated guys that have said this same thing, or at least suggested it: that they've dated women that are too clingy and want to hang out too much because they don't have lives outside of their relationship with their boyfriend. But then these SAME guys will turn around and say they have dated girls who spend too much time on hobbies, with friends, and spend too much time focusing on their career... so now they complain the girl won't spend very much time with them. Sheesh, can't seem to get a happy medium it seems.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
"But like I said, why don't most women take up some real activities like Amelia Earheart did "

Now that is some purty funny cheet!

Because some women prefer the activities and adventures of Amelia Bedelia! D'oh!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
So is masturbating a hobby then? How about mass murder? I ‎guess we should ask John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer if what they did was hobbies (if ‎they were still alive). Please. The webster's dictionary definition of a hobby is way too broad. ‎You could get pleasure from anything: nose-picking, serial murdering, stalking people, etc., ‎etc. The key word is activity.

Activity (def.): An educational process or procedure intended to stimulate learning through ‎actual experience.

How can you stimulate learning through gossiping, shopping, or watching entertainment ‎shows?
Not so fast. There are several definitions of activity. You can't ignore the other definitions ‎just because they don't fit with your opinion. Same thing with hobby. It's funny that you ‎didn't answer my question about your definition of hobby until I finally defined it.

And as disgusting as mass murder is, it is a hobby to serial killers. I never claimed that all ‎hobbies are good.

Quote:
You can stimulate learning through comic books by understanding ‎the characters, plots, themes, artwork, etc. The same could be said for video games, board ‎games, puzzles, and even card games. As well as learning about the mechanics of ‎automobiles, plains, trains, and boats. And the same could definitely be said for sports, both ‎watching them and engaging in them.

Again you are equating a hobby with some learning activity. Sorry but this is just not the ‎case. I'm curious though. What exactly does one learn from watching sports?

Quote:
As one previous poster said, "Just because a few women on this ‎forum have hobbies doesn't mean the majority of women do". Shopping is not a hobby, ‎even this so-called bargain shopping you people are talking about. Have you ever been ‎‎"bargain shopping" with women? Buying clothes you do not particularly like just because ‎they're on sale is not bargain shopping. It's compulsive shopping, and that's something most ‎women engage in.
Well, I bargain shop quite a bit. I don't have the money or time to buy things I don't use though. ‎I'm sure that I'm not alone in this regard. I do agree with you about compulsive shoppers however don't ASSume that the majority of women are this way based off your experience.

Quote:
But like I said, why don't most women take up some real activities ‎like Amelia Earheart did, rather than blaming me and saying I only look after shallow women. ‎Please. I've dated average-looking women simply because they were interested in comic ‎books, sports, video games, or cycling, rather than going after the ditzy pin-up girl who was ‎interested in going to the mall and chatting on her cellphone.
Just like I thought, a hobby isn't a hobby unless What! approves of it. Thanks for clearing that up, finally.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM

22,175 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What I don't understand is why these men are heterosexual.
my guess is they keep a woman around to use as a verbal and emotional punching bag

Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
I'm a female and I relatively agree with OP. Most of the females I know don't have hobbies. They gossip, shop, complain, and talk about themselves. But I say MOST. I know a few that have hobbies, but there's a catch-22. These chicks tend to be either 1) not conventionally attractive. either nerdy, fat, goth, pimply, poorly proportioned, etc or 2) have very strong personalities and are called "intimidating" or "butch" (or if you switch the u with an i, another thing they're often called that's not child-friendly). If you want a blonde with DD's that always has her hair and makeup just right, you're going to get someone who hasn't worked much on the inside-them. If you get a girl that's interesting, she usually hasn't put her entire life into seeing how she compares in looks to others... cuz she's been busy enjoying life and being herself. guys tend to work the same way, surprise surprise. Shallow people attract shallow people. We just happen to live in a very shallow time.
Let me be the first to say that this is a huge load of bullsh*t!!! There are a lot of gorgeous women who take care of themselves and care about how they look who also happen to have it going on intellect-wise, interest-wise, education-wise, finance-wise, etc. If you pull your head out of your ass you might see them. I see them all the time - and I know quite a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships