U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,461 posts, read 3,781,682 times
Reputation: 1620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I recently broke up with a girlfriend who complained about almost everything that I had interest in outside her. She complained about my comic books, video games, interest in motorized vehicles like cars, trains, plains, and motorcyles, and she hated my interest in sports. It was just too much and it ended quicker than it began. Later on I thought about it and realized most women don't have any hobbies or interests of their own. Watching t.v., shopping, chit-chatting, or reading an entertainment or fashion magazine are basically all most women do. And none of those things are hobbies. They are actually things to pass the time.I wholeheartedly applaud female astronauts, racecar drivers, cyclists, aviatrices, sports players, and others for setting a good example. Unfortunately, many (most?) women don't follow the examples and pick up on these positive role models. It's no wonder most guys get boring questions from women like "What are you thinking?" or, after calling you at some random part of the day she says, "I'm bored. Talk to me about something fun or interesting." Most women have no active interests in anything besides shopping, entertainment, and gossip. If most people thought about this they'd ask themselves two of the following questions:Why don't most women have any hobbies?
What can be done to get women more active in things besides quick entertainment?
My goodness did you just step in a pile of horse pucky with this posting! Every woman on here is going to give you some manure over this one son! For almost 30 years, I played Softball in an organized league for women. I was busy 4 nights a week sometimes. In the off season, I worked out, did Jazzercise and volunteered at the homeless shelter during the holidays. I had little or no time for anything else. I have women friends who Kyak, Garden, Swim, Volunteer at animal shelters, volunteer at the local schools to read to the kids and more. My sister sews, she creates beautiful floral arrangements, raised 5 kids and now babysits for 4 grandchildren under 2 years old during the fall. She is amazing.

Women for the most part DO have more to do than you would imagine and if you are running into women who don't do more than file their nails and read then you certainly are not picking women who share your interest in comic books or video games....those are hobbies or something you are hooked on??? Come on...can you Kyak, hang glide, play softball, bicycle, play golf...OH..almost forgot...my 80 year old Mother In Law plays 18 holes of golf EVERY day except Sunday and in between that, she walks over a mile every day beyond what she walks at the golf course.

So young fella...put down those comic books and the video games and join some of the beautiful women I know who are out there enjoying their hobbies....that is between all the chatting and magazines you feel they use as their hobbies...Good Grief!!!

 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
 
9,559 posts, read 11,165,532 times
Reputation: 7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I agree with the other comments, maybe you're just picking the wrong types of women
amen and hallelujah

everytime someone pulls out one of those grand sweeping assinine comments like "women don't have hobbies" or "women judge how other women dress" it is obvious that what the person is really talking about is just the few women they know in their own small life, or the few women they see in their limited circle of acquaintances

which says more about their narrow life, than it does about women in the big wide world

(oh and then they hide behind the simpering "my wife agrees with me, so there". get real. the wife is one woman. she is hardly the spokesperson for half the human race. sheesh.)
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
 
6,424 posts, read 8,428,565 times
Reputation: 10575
In general, the OP is correct. It seems any time a man makes a GENERAL statement about women, the women come out of the woodwork saying, "that can't be true! ** I ** don't do that! So it can't be true!!" As if a few women really represent the billions that are out there. Ladies, he's speaking GENERALLY. Just because YOU have hobbies, doesn't mean MOST women do.

How may times have you heard the stories of mothers whose kids have grown and left the nest and just don't know what to do with themselves?

Ladies, those of you with meddling mothers-in-law, chances are the MIL has no hobby.
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 8,496,835 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is interesting how you put a positive spin on more male-oriented interests, as if women should all be into things that guys enjoy. It is women who pour tons of cash into the economy buying materials for all kinds of arts and crafts hobbies, collecting antiques, glassware, and things besides comic books and model cars. They are into running, tennis, cycling, weight training, kayaking - all kinds of sports. And fashion can be a hobby. It isn't so easy to look put together.

Bottom line, you date boring girls. And there other hobbies besides the ones you like.
yeah, I am really trying to understand what the difference between the guys' "hobbies" and the women's "passing time" is...
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,500 posts, read 18,213,227 times
Reputation: 4129
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
It's no wonder most guys get boring questions from women like "What are you thinking?" or, after calling you at some random part of the day she says, "I'm bored. Talk to me about something fun or interesting."
Maybe you should start dating older women.

A women over 45 is never going to wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

Here's a few more!

http://johnsegocentricworld.blogspot.com/2009/02/andy-rooney-on-women-over-40.html

 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
 
9,559 posts, read 11,165,532 times
Reputation: 7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Ladies, he's speaking GENERALLY. Just because YOU have hobbies, doesn't mean MOST women do.
a person can get a headache just reading that statement

anyone who says and believes and tries to convince others that "women do this" or "women do that" or "women are like this" is only parading their own ignorace, narrow-minded thinking, and lack of intelligence.
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
 
6,780 posts, read 9,619,403 times
Reputation: 7805
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I recently broke up with a girlfriend who complained about almost everything that I had interest in outside her. She complained about my comic books, video games, interest in motorized vehicles like cars, trains, plains, and motorcyles, and she hated my interest in sports. It was just too much and it ended quicker than it began. Later on I thought about it and realized most women don't have any hobbies or interests of their own. Watching t.v., shopping, chit-chatting, or reading an entertainment or fashion magazine are basically all most women do. And none of those things are hobbies. They are actually things to pass the time.

I wholeheartedly applaud female astronauts, racecar drivers, cyclists, aviatrices, sports players, and others for setting a good example. Unfortunately, many (most?) women don't follow the examples and pick up on these positive role models.

It's no wonder most guys get boring questions from women like "What are you thinking?" or, after calling you at some random part of the day she says, "I'm bored. Talk to me about something fun or interesting."

Most women have no active interests in anything besides shopping, entertainment, and gossip. If most people thought about this they'd ask themselves two of the following questions:

Why don't most women have any hobbies?

What can be done to get women more active in things besides quick entertainment?
Yes and its the women without hobbies who are often more attractive to men - because men are these womens hobbies and men like that - someone to cheer them on, mend their scrapes, cook their meals. There isn't much in life that's perfect. You want a woman who is all about men, pleasing men, they are probably going to be a little boring. YYou want someone interesting with hobbies, goals, aspirations of their own, your going to have to give something up.
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
 
2,782 posts, read 4,427,910 times
Reputation: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Speak for yourself, OP. I am HEAVILY involved in competitive ballroom dance. In fact, I'm leaving in a few minutes to head down to the studio. I also have a 1970 Ford Torino that I take out and do 1/4 mile drag racing. I also love to travel, go to car shows, bird shows, any dance event, work out in the gym, hiking, biking, jogging, in addition to the usual shopping and fine dining. I'm also active in civic organizations. There's more ... but I think you get the idea.

I think YOU need to expand your horizons. Whatever you're doing or wherever you're hanging out - you need to get out of YOUR comfort zone and start meeting girls who have something on the ball. It's ignorant to classify ALL of the female gender as dull and having no interests or hobbies. YOU need to get out more often!
Don't turn this around on the OP because you don't like the truth -- I've dated dozens of women, it's true, barely any of them have any hobbies! Most women are just NOT that interesting when it comes down to it, because they consume themselves with useless pursuits and frivolous crap like shopping and gossip. There are very few women who have any hobbies at all, whereas if anything I have too many.

Even my girlfriend, I cannot think of a single hobby she has. We've had a lot of arguments over the fact she doesn't even check a news site on a weekly basis, which I find pretty ridiculous. It's always the same excuses, "I don't have time." I took more credits in college than she does, by far, got better grades, and still had time to work out, read news daily, etc., because I made it a priority.

It's nearly impossible to think of any hobbies any girlfriend I've dated has had. Hmm... umm... wow. Yeah, off the top of my head, nothing.

It's usually the same crap as the OP says, "I hate sports, why are you watching that?" or at best, "I like basketball." "Oh yeah? What do you think of the Blazers?" "I dunno, they are bad aren't they? Is Clyde Drexler still playing?" "Umm, no, they're very good, and Clyde retired more than a decade ago..." lol.

That's my main problem with girls in general -- they are just not very interesting most of the time. The fight for equality, about how girls are every bit as intelligent and interesting and all this as guys, well in reality, sorry, it's not playing out too well. If it were, there would be more girls actually doing things, and fewer merely pumping out kids and sitting around gossiping. It's very sad. The girls here like Twinkle Toes should be ashamed that other girls set such a bad example.

And what's worse, it makes guys like me have these bad attitudes about girls, because how would we have anything BUT a bad attitude? It's not like somehow a person is born just not thinking that highly of girls. And it isn't something you just decide that you're going to be negative about. No. In point of fact, all of my life I wanted to believe what I was told, guys and girls are no different, they're equal, they're the same, blah blah, etc. Then my rational mind kept rebelling against this because of countless counter-examples and after a certain period of time you just say to yourself, "I'm sorry but girls on the whole are not very interesting creatures intellectually." It's just what happens when you have all 5 senses intact and observe the world around you -- it's virtually impossible to come to any other conclusion when you meet lots of girls.

I still appreciate girls, for different things, but I don't expect to have deep and meaningful conversations with them or discuss any real hobbies seeing as there just isn't much room for those things.

Almost every girl I ask, "So what do you like doing for fun? What are your interests?" I get the same answers: "I dunno, shopping, hanging out with friends, partying... you?" Umm, wow, way to answer like a freakin' robot, just like every other girl in the world. Oh wow you like to shop, huge surprise. You like hanging out with friends -- amazing!!! And partying? Gosh, aren't you the unique snowflake! Wow...
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
 
25,167 posts, read 44,173,060 times
Reputation: 6869
I understand your point of view; however, have you considered the masses of men out there that have only one hobby, ie: sports or fishing? Think about how boring and philistine that truly is....considering those are their only hobbies.

My other comment is that finding a quality man or woman is difficult work and almost as rare as a needle in a hay stack. It works for both genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Don't turn this around on the OP because you don't like the truth -- I've dated dozens of women, it's true, barely any of them have any hobbies! Most women are just NOT that interesting when it comes down to it, because they consume themselves with useless pursuits and frivolous crap like shopping and gossip. There are very few women who have any hobbies at all, whereas if anything I have too many.

Even my girlfriend, I cannot think of a single hobby she has. We've had a lot of arguments over the fact she doesn't even check a news site on a weekly basis, which I find pretty ridiculous. It's always the same excuses, "I don't have time." I took more credits in college than she does, by far, got better grades, and still had time to work out, read news daily, etc., because I made it a priority.

It's nearly impossible to think of any hobbies any girlfriend I've dated has had. Hmm... umm... wow. Yeah, off the top of my head, nothing.

It's usually the same crap as the OP says, "I hate sports, why are you watching that?" or at best, "I like basketball." "Oh yeah? What do you think of the Blazers?" "I dunno, they are bad aren't they? Is Clyde Drexler still playing?" "Umm, no, they're very good, and Clyde retired more than a decade ago..." lol.

That's my main problem with girls in general -- they are just not very interesting most of the time. The fight for equality, about how girls are every bit as intelligent and interesting and all this as guys, well in reality, sorry, it's not playing out too well. If it were, there would be more girls actually doing things, and fewer merely pumping out kids and sitting around gossiping. It's very sad. The girls here like Twinkle Toes should be ashamed that other girls set such a bad example.

And what's worse, it makes guys like me have these bad attitudes about girls, because how would we have anything BUT a bad attitude? It's not like somehow a person is born just not thinking that highly of girls. And it isn't something you just decide that you're going to be negative about. No. In point of fact, all of my life I wanted to believe what I was told, guys and girls are no different, they're equal, they're the same, blah blah, etc. Then my rational mind kept rebelling against this because of countless counter-examples and after a certain period of time you just say to yourself, "I'm sorry but girls on the whole are not very interesting creatures intellectually." It's just what happens when you have all 5 senses intact and observe the world around you -- it's virtually impossible to come to any other conclusion when you meet lots of girls.

I still appreciate girls, for different things, but I don't expect to have deep and meaningful conversations with them or discuss any real hobbies seeing as there just isn't much room for those things.

Almost every girl I ask, "So what do you like doing for fun? What are your interests?" I get the same answers: "I dunno, shopping, hanging out with friends, partying... you?" Umm, wow, way to answer like a freakin' robot, just like every other girl in the world. Oh wow you like to shop, huge surprise. You like hanging out with friends -- amazing!!! And partying? Gosh, aren't you the unique snowflake! Wow...
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Houston
302 posts, read 700,808 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I agree with the OP, generally, most women do not have any hobbies. At least compared to men they dont.

I like martial arts, photography, working out, doing photoshop art and photo manipulatons, sometimes video games, and sometimes just tinkering in the garage with stuff. Women, Im not so sure what they would do, needlepoint? Sew? Make quilts?

I would like to point out that some women that I know who DO have hobbies, have the line between hobby and work blurred as they usually try to make money off of their hobbies.
I am just trying to clarify; are you thinking that needlepoint, sewing, and quilting do not qualify as hobbies? Or are you just unsure what are "womanly" hobbies as opposed to the "manly" ones that you listed? I hope you realize that men and women can be interested in the same thing

What is a hobby vs what is a way to waste time?
IMO, a hobby is what you do because you enjoy it. Sometimes you have to make time for it, but you do because you WANT to do it. Wasting time is what you do when you put no effort or thought into what you do with your off time. Me being on this computer....unless it is for job searching or connecting with friends, I admit it is a waste of time. Turning on the TV is seen as a waste of time because it takes no effort...as opposed to reading a book (which I consider a hobby) because you think about what you want to read.

In some ways, I agree with the OP. I have no hobbies except reading. All I do is work, and try to relax when I am not working. I would LIKE to do the things I am interested in, but my lack of funds and time dictates otherwise. When I am able, I cannot wait to take horseback riding lessons, take my dirtbike out, go camping and hiking...etc

I do think that there ARE a lot of women that have a lot of hobbies. Some women only engage in mindless entertainment...just as some men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top