Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times

Advertisements

It's like eating a Peppermint Patty skiing down a slope of emotions (happy, excited, nervous, lust, anger, etc) and getting to the bottom and either going AHHHHHHH or UGHHHHHH what a ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
It's a chemical (over)reaction in the brain, basically. That's really all there is to it. They've even done studies proving that 18 months afterwards, the honeymoon is over, replaced by familiarity and contentment but nothing more.

It's a silly emotion, really. I say I love my girlfriend, and she says she loves me, and I'm sure it's true in a sense, I mean it expresses something more than "like," so I see it as a strong feeling of... umm... adoration, I guess. But it's nothing that overrides my rational mind. I don't think, "OMG I'd step in front of a bullet for her." F*** that! My life is way more valuable than anyone else's, I'm not stepping in front of a bullet for anyone. And I wouldn't expect her to do something absurd like that for me. I expect people to behave more or less rationally -- it's no wonder I'm usually disappointed

Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times
Love feels like going down a roller coaster .

Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Love has so many faces.

When you just fall "in love", you feel like you are about to explode with happieness (considering the situation is right and it's mutual). You always want to see this person, be with this person, talk about this person. It is an incredible feeling of butterflies and fast heart-beating...

However, when you are with the person you love for a really long time, it is a different feeling of comfort, feeling of belonging with this person.

You know, you can also feel an intense feeling of hate when you are in love, that is if love not mutual. You can also feel like someone is stepping on your heart, you may also feel incredible pain.

Love can bring out the best AND the worst in you. It may open some doors in you that you never knew about, you may discover some personality traits in you that you haven't noticed before.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM

It all sounds so silly and irrational, I don't know why you'd WANT that to be the case. I mean it's extremely annoying when someone just constantly talks about their SO, like we all care. No, we don't. Talk about something more important. But that's the issue, most people having boring crap jobs and don't really do anything with their lives, so this is the most excitement they're likely to have. *yawn*

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It all sounds so silly and irrational, I don't know why you'd WANT that to be the case. I mean it's extremely annoying when someone just constantly talks about their SO, like we all care. No, we don't. Talk about something more important. But that's the issue, most people having boring crap jobs and don't really do anything with their lives, so this is the most excitement they're likely to have. *yawn*
You strike me as very cynical. So what if people want to talk about their SO? Why should it bother you?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Because it's ANNOYING! I don't want to hear about how great your "hubby" is constantly, it's just really obnoxious behavior. I think most polite people realize this. It's one thing to bring up someone else, because they are part of your life. But it's another to go on and on and on and on about how great your SO is. It's just really annoying and strikes me as someone having no life whatsoever.

"Very cynical," lol, no I'm just not easily manipulated into flights of fancy. I'm a realist. There's a difference.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Because it's ANNOYING! I don't want to hear about how great your "hubby" is constantly, it's just really obnoxious behavior. I think most polite people realize this. It's one thing to bring up someone else, because they are part of your life. But it's another to go on and on and on and on about how great your SO is. It's just really annoying and strikes me as someone having no life whatsoever.

"Very cynical," lol, no I'm just not easily manipulated into flights of fancy. I'm a realist. There's a difference.
Annoying to you because you don't even believe in love - to you its just a bunch of neurons sending chemical signals in the brain. But to other people it means something significant - so let them talk about it! People talk about less important stuff like American Idol, or Jon and Kate Plus 8, I don't see why they can't talk about their husbands or wives.

And I'm a realist too - that's no excuse.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM

I didn't say they couldn't talk about it sometimes, I said it's annoying if it's constant. My sister does this with EVERY new guy. I don't get it. I don't talk about my girlfriend all that much at all, I mean it's just not that interesting. Our relationship is ours, and I appreciate her company and talking to her, but it's personal. I'd rather talk about my career and accomplishments, something actually interesting and significant, not mundane.

It's not a big deal that YOU, an individual person out of 6 billion, feel the emotion of love, it's in fact incredibly common. So talking about it is just really mediocre. It's like saying well gee today I ate, I slept, I took a ****. Oh wow, haha, how special. No, it is not, it's just like everyone else. To talk about such nonsense is trivial, and same with relationships, totally trivial. Only a girl would think otherwise. I've never sat around with my guy friends talking about that. It would be pretty lame.

And yes, I agree American Idol and Jon and Kate Plus 8 are even worse. Ugg, disgusting.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:

Ummmm...by the time this man turns into a "hubby", most likely the feeling of elation is not there to constantly talk about him. This mostly happens in a very beginning of a relationship when elation and excitement is intense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships