Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It's not a big deal that YOU, an individual person out of 6 billion, feel the emotion of love, it's in fact incredibly common. So talking about it is just really mediocre. It's like saying well gee today I ate, I slept, I took a ****. Oh wow, haha, how special.
Gee Jonathan, equating being in love to taking a sh*t, quite the romantic aren't you?

I agree to a certain extent that it can get obnoxious after a while. But I think that has more to do with someone's personality than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
I actually wrote pee, lol, I can't believe it censors p--s. That's funny as heck.

"Being in love" is not special, it's only special to the person who feels like somehow they are experiencing something totally new, when they are not. It's better to experience something few people can, whether that's the taste of a 100 year old wine, or the taste of success that few people enjoy, or the taste of driving a Ferrari, something that is rare. Not something that is common. Whatever is common is by definition not special.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:47 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Love is what happens when the other person who is trying to court you covers up all of their faults, make you think they are what they arent.. and then captures your heart... what occurs next can be seen written in a horror book once you realize what you got isnt really what you saw.

I have lived this on more then one occasion... thats why I say.. there aint nothing a 2 step wont fix..

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Well the first couple times I fell in love, it felt a lot like the flu. I felt like I was going to throw up, I didn't want ANY food at all.

That was my physical response to love.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
What does love feel like?

Man, there just too much I could do with that statement.

I just don't want to be banned by the Mods.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM

302 posts, read 885,384 times
Quote:
I didn't say they couldn't talk about it sometimes, I said it's annoying if it's constant. My sister does this with EVERY new guy. I don't get it. I don't talk about my girlfriend all that much at all, I mean it's just not that interesting. Our relationship is ours, and I appreciate her company and talking to her, but it's personal. I'd rather talk about my career and accomplishments, something actually interesting and significant, not mundane.

It's not a big deal that YOU, an individual person out of 6 billion, feel the emotion of love, it's in fact incredibly common. So talking about it is just really mediocre. It's like saying well gee today I ate, I slept, I took a ****. Oh wow, haha, how special. No, it is not, it's just like everyone else. To talk about such nonsense is trivial, and same with relationships, totally trivial. Only a girl would think otherwise. I've never sat around with my guy friends talking about that. It would be pretty lame.

And yes, I agree American Idol and Jon and Kate Plus 8 are even worse. Ugg, disgusting.
And who is that interesting to, besides yourself? YOU like to talk about your career and accomplishments. OTHERS like to talk about what they are proud of....their partner, perhaps? Who is to say that people like to hear all about your job?

I agree that yes, it is annoying when people constantly talk about their SO. But I don't see the big deal. I did it to my friends, and they will do it to me. It all comes with friendship

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Never been in love, but from what I can tell from a buddy of mine(who claims he's in love), it consists of a lot of sleeping on the couch, masterbating, and apologizing.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM

302 posts, read 885,384 times
Quote:
I actually wrote pee, lol, I can't believe it censors p--s. That's funny as heck.

"Being in love" is not special, it's only special to the person who feels like somehow they are experiencing something totally new, when they are not. It's better to experience something few people can, whether that's the taste of a 100 year old wine, or the taste of success that few people enjoy, or the taste of driving a Ferrari, something that is rare. Not something that is common. Whatever is common is by definition not special.

It seems as if all your "special" things come only after money is spent. Is money how you define your worth?

I disagree that being in love is not special. Just because it happens to many people doesn't make it loose it's appeal. If it is a new feeling to an individual, how is that not new? How many people have driven a Ferrari since the first one was made? A whole heck of a lot (sorry to burst your bubble). I know you will point this out, so I am going to say it first: Yes, probably not as many people have driven a Ferrari as have been in love. The actual number is not what happens. Driving a Ferrari is NOT rare. It is just expensive. And yet, the first time someone drives one, it is such a burst of adrenaline and accomplishment.

Something being special means its unique. I guess you have not been in love, but every person you love, you do so in a different way. How, do you ask? Because the way you relate to people differs according to that person. Every friendship, every relationship, you have is different. Just because they are all categorizes as a "friendship" does not make it the same as every friendship on earth.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM

433 posts, read 875,898 times
moist friction

Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,444 times
Default Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

For some reason, that question reminds me of one time I was in the grocery store. I saw a sign that said "pet supplies". So I did. Then I went outside and saw a sign that said "compact cars". Well... It's all inexplicable.

There is no way to define love, but I'm game.. so here we go..

I have a theory on love. Let me explain:

There's infatuation. I think that when a lot people say that they love someone, it's more infatuation than love. There are in love with the IDEA of being in love, so ultimately, this kind of love has no meaning.

Then, there's "true love". That's when two people truly have strong feelings for one another, but it's more of a physical bonding and an emotional need to be with someone. It's "true", in the sense that it's tangible and there are emotions involved, but I don't think that it's meant to last. I think that now days that's what a good majority of people feel, especially with the divorce rate and all that jazz..

Finally, there's "pure love". These are the people that you know that's been together for 30-40- even 50 years.. Not only do they have the physical bond, but there's a real emotional bond as well; not just an emotional need. They are completely one with each other; they know one another intimately, and completely understand one another the best that is humanly possible. This can only be achieved through real communication and bonding...

So with that said, I don't think there's any way to describe how it feels. All I can say is that it is almost like perfection, with a lot of flaws. No couple is ever perfectly suited to one another, there will always be little issues that arise.. However, I think that two people can be perfect for one another.. If that makes any sense.

--

Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I believe that you asked this for a reason. You're in a situation where you doubt that you'll ever be able to feel this.. If that's the case, then I understand completely. I spent a large number of years lost in a bottle where the only form of love that I ever felt was the next high. I used women just to make me feel happy, and when I was done, I'd forget about them. Literally.. Then all of that changed, there was some things that I went through that changed my life completely. Once I stopped drinking and all of that, I started to figure out who I really was. It was then, when I finally knew myself, that I finally felt the full impact of what all those silly artists sung about.

Thing is, before anyone can ever feel pure love, they have to know themselves both inside and out. They must be able to face their fears and overcome them, and at the same time give up their life for another.

Like I said, it's inexplicable.. like putting slinkies down the mall escalators. Or the headline in yesterdays paper: "Power outage at the mall, 20 people trapped on the escalators."

Ok, I'll stop. Hope this helped a little at least..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships