Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times

Advertisements

A lot of people in history, have described love as a state of feeling "incomplete". And you seek that other person to make you complete. When this person is away, you feel incomplete again. And so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
The feeling you get with the dog and the Bowie song .. yeah, that sounds like love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I hear people talking or singing about being in love. I am pretty sure it's solely a biological reaction for procreation but some people insist there is more to it. Emotional or biological, it's an entirely foreign concept to me and would like an explanation.

I think I feel a twinge of something when I go to the folks house and I get to see the dog and how excited he is to see me. The way we look into each other's eyes right before he grabs one of his toys and runs outside just might be love. Also I was listening to David Bowie a few weeks ago and I had such an emotional reaction to a song I thought my heart might explode. Is that love?

What is love? What does love feel like?

Please discuss.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
It's official then, I love my mom's dog and David Bowie.

We all gotta start somewhere! When I read your OP, I thought, he's playin' us; which is no big deal - it gets people talking. But as to how love feels,
IDK - I think it feels different for every person. I agree with Urban Blasphemy about there being different stages of love; since I've never made it
past 18 years with one person, I can't speak for the endurance of romantic love.

For me, love feels like dozens of different emotions of different strengths got thrown into a big mixer. When the damn thing finally stops (temporarily), the good stuff - the ingredients & emotions that make you put another before yourself - that 'stuff' rises to the top of the mix.

I'm sure not a Bible thumper (not, as Seinfeld would say, that there's anything wrong with that! ) - but 1st Corinthians 13 has managed to stay with me for a long time. El amor es paciente.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Can you close your eyes and try to remember what the first 10 seconds feels like when you sit down in a hot tub? How the warmth spreading all over your body feels so incredibly wonderful? Thats what TRUE LOVE feels like. Then 10 years later she turns into her mother and you have to figure out whether to shoot her or yourself!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
For guys if you have pillows on your bed that you are not allowed to sleep on,
If you have soap in your bathroom that you are not allowed to wash with
If you have clothes in your own closet that you hate to wear
if you have clothes in your closet that you are not allowed to wear
If you have not watched an entire episode of "The Unit"........you might be in love

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
I spent a large number of years lost in a bottle where the only form of love that I ever felt was the next high. I used women just to make me feel happy, and when I was done, I'd forget about them. Literally.. Then all of that changed, there was some things that I went through that changed my life completely.
Just out of curiosity, UB, are you a graduate of some n-step program? Currently you sound "too good to be true"... Forgive me, but I happen to be suspicious of goodie two shoes...

Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,417 times
You know you've met the one, when it never crosses your mind to be without them or to break it off with them. When you go almost 10 years and realize one day, "I've never even thought of breaking it off with them". That's love.

When you catch your breath after they have entered a room, that's love.

When you smile so wide after an absence of even only a few hours, that's love.

When you try to count the times you thought about them in a day and can't remember how many times, that's love.

When you are sick, throwing up, at your worst, beaded sweat running down your neck, or in horrible pain and you want only them at your side for comfort, that's love.

When they fart really loudly in bed during the still of the night and you laugh instead of go "oh freakin gross", that's love.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
It is like going to bed on a dreary cold winter evening..and then awakening in the middle of a bright, crystal clear warm spring afternoon..in super H D...with this extreme feeling of something wonderful within which you cannot put a single word to..yet, where ever you go,..everyone can see this sparkling light radiating around you... that was the day i knew that id fallen in love..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 AM

282 posts, read 526,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Well, I can tell you it usually ends up with your heart feeling like it's been ripped out, stomped on, and replaced upside down. That's about all I know.
That just about sums it up.

The rest is marketing.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
A lot of people in history, have described love as a state of feeling "incomplete". And you seek that other person to make you complete. When this person is away, you feel incomplete again. And so forth.
That is absolutely horrible! So somehow that's supposed to be a GOOD thing that someone is horribly mediocre and "incomplete" without needing someone else? That's just pathetic! You should learn to be self-sufficient. Relationships are a BONUS in life, they enhance your life, they are not necessary for happiness. When you make them that way you become like a drug addict looking for your next craze. That's really a terrible thought.

And as for the Ferrari example, that wasn't the point. The point is accomplishing something few people can, and it has nothing to do with money. Sometimes it costs money to achieve things, sure, like making a movie costs money, but that's not the main point. You can raise the money rather than actually having it yourself. Accomplishment means doing something special, like writing a book, or directing a movie, or coming up with a medical advance, or something like this. Not some mediocre human feeling that has no real special quality to it whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships