U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM

9,925 posts, read 8,826,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
That's why God invented lawyers.

Seriously though, I do sympathize with someone who is at the receiving end of this, particularly if it is a trait that wasn't apparent from the start of the relationship.
Yeah, any mention of lawyers is probably enough to get me using the silent treatment!

It's an interesting little game, that's for sure. I must say though that initially after experiencing a master at the game (something that wasn't apparent early on in the relationship) for a time after I became wary of folks that appeared to be employing it also but have since experienced people like yourself who simply require time to process information and will consider before reacting.
Now I think the hard part is ascertaining WHO is going to play the game for the whole 9 yards and with dirty tactics and who is just giving themselves some bench time before coming back to play a good, fair game.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,525,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Now I think the hard part is ascertaining WHO is going to play the game for the whole 9 yards and with dirty tactics and who is just giving themselves some bench time before coming back to play a good, fair game.
Yup, that's the difficulty. I never thought I'd really appreciate my boyfriend's in-your-face-this-is-why-I'm-ticked attitude, but after reading this, it doesn't seem so bad after all.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,930,882 times
I try to talk with people in a respectful, reasonable, and dignified adult fashion.

Respect is key.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, that's the difficulty. I never thought I'd really appreciate my boyfriend's in-your-face-this-is-why-I'm-ticked attitude, but after reading this, it doesn't seem so bad after all.
Reckon if there's understanding regarding how you each deal with confrontation and conflict and acceptance that you both have different styles AND respect for each other regardless, it's all good.

My current partner might take some time to mull over something or he might be very up front and wish to discuss something as it happens. I'm the same I guess. As long as we never go to bed on an argument or the last thing we say to each other before parting isn't said in anger, I'm happy to roll with it. AND that would apply not just to my SO relationship but with family and friends also.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,195,655 times
Sometimes I no longer feel like talking to some people because I've come to the conclusion they've disappointed me. I don't consider it a silent treatment. It just means it's over between us - that's all. When you have to be around them, you exchange a few words occasionally because there's no way around it. When you don't have to be around them, that's it.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

15,667 posts, read 15,579,678 times
The one time I almost brought the hand to someone I was dating was because of this. But I gave myself a timeout, and thought if she is this immature, I should look elsewhere. So I stopped seeing her.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,125,033 times
Red flag

Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 AM

7,533 posts, read 6,126,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I hate it with a passion. I find it incredibly distressing.

If someone is really angry and not able to form a coherant sentence while they ride out their anger then a short sentence saying something like, "I need to cool off and I'll come back to this conversation" is fine by me.

BUT crack it and don't talk to me for days in some pathetic attempt to gain the upper hand and I'm so outta there.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM

7,533 posts, read 6,126,133 times

Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
What's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships