Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, there aren't (see bolded). According to people on the Bay Area forum, so many of the techies are socially inept, that the women among them go dateless. That would explain a few things. Also, I suspect it's the men with the checklists; the only thing that motivates them out of their shyness or ineptitude is a hot-looking babe. I don't think they even notice the more average types among them. Maybe this is the result of the gamer culture many of those techies come from? Images of women with tiny wasp-like waists and cannonball boobs? Beats me. I've read in San Francisco magazine, though, that women depend on each other for a social life, because that's the only thing that's happening.
They are probably on the OLD sites and social networking sites or apps if it's an area with a lot of computer geeks. I've been to CA but not the Bay Area in the parts I have been in I did go to some clubs and it didn't seem any different than anywhere else in regards to men and women. I'm sure there's lots of other types of guys but the women out there are probably only looking for guys that make a large income due to the high cost of living. I must need to move or something because it's about 6 men walking around drooling for every single woman in my part of the country the whole rust belt is like that really from what I've seen.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
I know several millennial women who live in the thick of the bro-spheres of Seattle and Silicon Valley who haven't dated since moving there. Even though they're attractive enough in an average way, no one talks to them. Not everyone is on Tinder or does OLD; some prefer to meet people the old-fashioned way, where you get to know them live before going on a date with them. That seems to be asking too much, strangely, even in those bro-spheres where we're told that for women, getting dates is like shooting fish in a barrel.
I've read some articles about the bay area, specifically silicon valley being a sausagefest. There seems to be a huge amount of single guys and a small amount of single girls that can't get dates. That caused me to abandon my plans on moving to the bay area (I dreamed of living along the coast, specifically Pacifica, Half Moon Bay or somewhere along those lines). Plus women are more interested in moving to Los Angeles (due to acting, modeling, entertainment, etc) than moving to the bay area.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I've read some articles about the bay area, specifically silicon valley being a sausagefest. There seems to be a huge amount of single guys and a small amount of single girls that can't get dates. That caused me to abandon my plans on moving to the bay area (I dreamed of living along the coast, specifically Pacifica, Half Moon Bay or somewhere along those lines). Plus women are more interested in moving to Los Angeles (due to acting, modeling, entertainment, etc) than moving to the bay area.
That's a very good dream. What line of work are you in? Silicon Valley isn't the only place for computer geeks. Universities hire them to, like UC Santa Cruz, speaking of the coast. Check it out!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
That's a very good dream.
It was a good dream at one time but then I found out the Bay Area is a sausagefest. I've thought about going to Greater Los Angeles where there's more women for me. Plus the Bay Area is 2 - 3 times more expensive than either Los Angeles or San Diego. For 2k, I'm stuck with renting in someone's living room that's in a run-down building at the Tenderloin area. In So Cal, I can rent in a nice place along the beach.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It was a good dream at one time but then I found out the Bay Area is a sausagefest. I've thought about going to Greater Los Angeles where there's more women for me. Plus the Bay Area is 2 - 3 times more expensive than either Los Angeles or San Diego. For 2k, I'm stuck with renting in someone's living room that's in a run-down building at the Tenderloin area. In So Cal, I can rent in a nice place along the beach.
OK, so we lost you to SoCal, it sounds like. But there's also the Central Coast. The Monterey Bay Area, including Santa Cruz, is not a sausage-fest, is nowhere near as expensive as SF-city, and is beautiful. Just saying.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
They are probably on the OLD sites and social networking sites or apps if it's an area with a lot of computer geeks. I've been to CA but not the Bay Area in the parts I have been in I did go to some clubs and it didn't seem any different than anywhere else in regards to men and women. I'm sure there's lots of other types of guys but the women out there are probably only looking for guys that make a large income due to the high cost of living. I must need to move or something because it's about 6 men walking around drooling for every single woman in my part of the country the whole rust belt is like that really from what I've seen.
That could be; it could be that they're focusing their dating energy on OLD, and overlooking the women among them, I suppose. The techie and marketing women I know there are not looking for guys with big incomes. They were only expecting to date their fellow office-mates, presumably people more or less in their same bracket. One has pretty much given up on the office crowd, and is planning to go to grad school.

The high COL can be pretty easily dealt with, btw, if two techies get together, combining their incomes. Most women these days aren't looking for a free ride. Especially in the tech world, they have a solid income, on their own. These clichés about women looking for high-income guys aren't particularly relevant in that context.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:56 AM

430 posts, read 290,771 times
The women on the East Coast need to take themselves over to Texas.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
There could be more women than men in a city. However, if a large number of those women are not dating material(and for that matter marriage material), it won't matter. I live in the Atlanta area. Plenty of women here. Most I wouldn't date. Too many factors involved, including the fastest growing rate of HIV cases in the USA.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
The women on the East Coast need to take themselves over to Texas.
Why?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There could be more women than men in a city. However, if a large number of those women are not dating material(and for that matter marriage material), it won't matter. I live in the Atlanta area. Plenty of women here. Most I wouldn't date. Too many factors involved, including the fastest growing rate of HIV cases in the USA.
And this is the city that ATL-guy wants to get back to, because the scene is so much better than in the mid-west, where he is now?

Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships