Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
OK, I do apologize, people in general, if you're a nice man and you're reading this. It's just something I've noticed. Plentyoffish has gotten to be the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of dating quality. I've had 2 dates, one three years ago, and one this year-Losers!
Maybe you've probably heard of it, but there are many popular radio shows (at least one very popular nation show) where the host talks mainly about getting women and paying as little as possible to get them. So clearly this is one of the avenues. Maybe you should start referring to it as Plenty of Stinky Fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
You want them to complete a credit check on a guy who's going to take you to Denny's or McDonald's...or a walk in the park? Seriously? You might not even like the guy when you meet him--shouldn't you figure that stuff out later?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Maybe you've probably heard of it, but there are many popular radio shows (at least one very popular nation show) where the host talks mainly about getting women and paying as little as possible to get them. So clearly this is one of the avenues. Maybe you should start referring to it as Plenty of Stinky Fish.
I've heard a name...is it Tom Leykis? Never heard the guy's show, but I've heard his name mentioned. Just like I've heard Greg Behrendt's name mentioned.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow! You know, I created on on there after MG touted it so highly. I got some scuzzo's, for sure. But nothing like that!!! Yikes! Did you post a pic??
I still do.
I would note that I've commented repeatedly that you will have to use the delete key A LOT and that there is a fair bit of garbage on there.

My gf has used POF and has generally met some decent "normal" guys on there and has also met some nut-jobs (hey, hey...not me! lol) but she has had to filter through the guys you don't even respond to.

I've met several decent gals on there. Just hit the 5month mark with my gf.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
thats my feelings on it. i also think poorly of guys who wont pay to contact women on there, but will throw in their aim name or email address somewhere "secretively" in the profile. to me that just screams cheap and not serious. usually these guys are the same ones that say they make 6 figures lol.
I use(d) POF because:

1. When I filled out a match profile...they sent me winks etc. from hot girls (fake profiles) to try to get me to complete my membership. I don't like being defrauded and wouldn't give them a dime.

2. Having spoken extensively with people that have used both sites...I hear match.com isn't any better. The cost is pretty nominal.

3. E-harmony is WAYYYY too rigid for me and seems like it is a "I'm ready to get married, right now type site.

I'd never put my income in a profile, suffice to say that I've been warned by both my sister and a prior gf to watch out for gold-diggers.

Hey, again, POF isn't perfect. My gf got tons of emails from SUPER old guys, from 23yo guys wanting sex, guys sending naked pics to her...lots of garbage you have to wade through. Frankly, just take the attitude that those messages are good for a laugh and move on.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
one of my friends begged me to try POF a few months back. never did online dating before and finally I said I will try it. and my experience was similar to what everyone is saying! I was on there about a month before I took down my profile. I met one guy that was really nice and respectful, but just seemed kind of awkward towards me and lost interest in him quickly. The other guy I met was a sleazebag.

Other than that, I'm 23 and had all these super old men contact me (sick!), sleazy guys, or just awkward guys who were didn't know how to socialize. My headline (I was trying to be somewhat funny) said "a s s holes need not apply" and at one point, one guy wrote me and started going off on me about how my healdine says I have issues with men and need to re-evaluate my dating strategy because no man would want a woman with so many issues, as if the guy knew me! I told him to get lost and that his attitude was why he was single and that he was proving the point of my headline, lol.

so ya now I don't think I'll ever try online dating again. I'd rather meet people in person and just do my own things. I always meet men when I'm really absorbed in my own life for some reason..(what a concept..haha). On that note..I'm about to go out on the town with some friends, maybe I'll meet a cute guy ..
I think POF and other sites like that are better for people more >30.
Younger people like yourself don't generally have all the obligations and have more free time to do things like go out to parties, co-ed activity groups etc.

The time saving aspect of POF is what I found really attractive.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, again, POF isn't perfect. My gf got tons of emails from SUPER old guys, from 23yo guys wanting sex, guys sending naked pics to her...lots of garbage you have to wade through. Frankly, just take the attitude that those messages are good for a laugh and move on.
I agree with this 100%. You WILL get some garbage on every site. Trashy people are EVERYWHERE in real life, so one should expect nothing less online. You have to spend some time at it, and use some creativity and thought in your profile and your emails. If you only want to throw up a quick profile and sit back, then you are really wasting your time. You will get no more out of it than you put into it.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
OKCupid is a good free one. Besides being a fun site to just screw around with games, tests, etc., I see a lot of interesting people on there.

POF is for the world's cretins. Its popularity supports my theory that most people are stupid.

If using a free site instead of a pay site makes me "scuzzy", then so be it. Whatever that word means, I'm sure it's better than paying some company a monthy fee to send messages to someone.

Last edited by le roi; 08-10-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
OKCupid is a good free one. Besides being a fun site to just screw around with games, tests, etc., I see a lot of interesting people on there.

POF is for the world's cretins. Its popularity supports my theory that most people are stupid.

If using a free site instead of a pay site makes me "scuzzy", then so be it. Whatever that word means, I'm sure it's better than paying some company a monthy fee to send messages to someone.
I firmly believe that it must vary greatly by region of the country. I know a pretty cool gal on here that didnt have much attention at all on POF...which is crazy. Here in my area I know several people that have used POF and I myself have met quality people.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times
Mathguy..can't figure out where you live, because you must be getting better results for geographic reasons. That cool gal must have been me. I only got like a handful of responses and ...well you know my consensus so far. My account is closed for good.

Two more free sites I would avoid:
Craiglist
Matchdoctor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships