Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,975,816 times

Advertisements

when i was in high school, i really didnt have more than 2 friends. i wasnt really well known. i was pretty shy, and no one really spoke to me. the few kids that did, usually made fun of me for something like either my hair, makeup, or something else. i went to a tiny private school, so it wasnt like i was someone who just got lost in a big crowd.

anyway, i always get a bit sad when i go on facebook and see somehow that my facebook "friends" have kept in touch with so many kids from high school and that they are all as close as they were years ago.

i feel really like the odd man out how pretty much all the people i talk to as well as have on my facebook are people i just have known within a couple of years.

anyone know what i am talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:54 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,024,855 times
I do..but it would take too long to fully explain..

Simply, I had many friends through out high school in all the "high school" cliques..I can remember making a bet with a friend to see who could get the most year book signatures..kind of dumb i know..but, really, i wasn't a huge fan of high school..and as soon as everyone graduated, alot of the people i knew also moved on...Still, i had other friends i regularly hung out with amongst other friends id constantly make..some better than others of course.. Anyhow, as it turned out, those supposed friends of mine, i hung on to after Graduation were transparent..especially when it came to women..It shocked me to hear ( a couple years later,from female friends id had then who were interested in pursuing things on a higher level) that my supposed buddies were "black balling" me (no pun there) behind my back...

When i moved to Kansas, i ended up making many more friends..who were truly friends..as they even stopped talking to me after i spent one of my birthday nights with a stripper id met that same evening..

Now while them giving me the silent treatment for a few days sounds like they might have been closed minded..as someone i knew explained it.." we were only upset because we know that you can do much better than x"..

I still to this day miss those crazy kids..simply because they were more like family than friends....wish some of them were here.. lol..

Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 AM

5,501 posts, read 9,451,011 times
I had lots of acquaintences in HS, but not many friends. I was a nice guy, so most of my classmates liked me, and I got along with people from all the different cliques. But I didn't keep in touch, (and no one tried to keep in touch with me) after graduation.

It's funny, now that I use facebook, so many of these people have requested to be friends. After I confirm them, I almost never hear from them again.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
anyway, i always get a bit sad when i go on facebook and see somehow that my facebook "friends" have kept in touch with so many kids from high school and that they are all as close as they were years ago.

i feel really like the odd man out how pretty much all the people i talk to as well as have on my facebook are people i just have known within a couple of years.

anyone know what i am talking about?
Not really. The word "friend" in "Facebook friend" is misleading. They are friends maybe in a very broad sense of the word.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,684,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Not really. The word "friend" in "Facebook friend" is misleading. They are friends maybe in a very broad sense of the word.
Exactly what I was going to say! With these social network sites, most just use it a marketing tool to show others their having a great life when that might not be the case...An add of the "friend" is an invitation to look into their life, or to put it another way, to look at all the positive aspects of their life.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,367,904 times
Just move forward from high school, and not look back. enjoy what you have now, and plan for the future.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,565,213 times
When I was in high school I had my little social clique consisting of about 3 of us since like kindergarten. We had a few others come and go, some moved in and moved away from our little circle. We definitely weren't "A-list", but not social leppers either. We pretty much stuck together throughout school, we spent less time together after our respective romances entered our lives. After graduation we all seemed to go our separate ways, different colleges, getting married and whatnot. Haven't really been in contact in several years now.

I really haven't done the facebook thing so I haven't really seen what the others were doing. I do know on MySpace that some of my old classmates definitely seemed like they haven't grown a bit in the past 19 years.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,135,237 times
I was miserable in high school. For one, it was a crappy school. The teachers didn't like my class. One of them shared with me that she will be glad to see this class graduate and be gone. Two, my circle of friends from elementary and middle school left and went off to private school. I had friends in hs, but not like before. Also, there were a few girls that made my life hell. One girl, who was a year ahead of me, was very mean because the boy she crushed on had a thing for me. The other was just a classic mean girl. Now, I was a scrapper back in the day (I had to be), so these girls backed off. Still tho, it wasn't in my nature and it made me miserable.

A couple of years ago I came into contact with one of these girls via myspace. For one, she acted like her treatment of me and others never happened. She was super sweet and very excited to be in touch. Two, she is very weird. She spilled her feelings about her aweful marriage in her first email to me and she looks like she's a junky or something. Of course, I immediately felt bad for having any negative feelings towards her.

I'm in touch with many of the people I went to hs with via fb. A good lot of them are still wearing leather jackets, listening to heavy medal, and living in or near the town where we grew-up. I'm so glad I escaped lol.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:16 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,291,560 times
The Facebook crowd is still living in high school. Why would you want to keep reliving such moments? They're out of your life, and you have no need to compare yourself as a vibrant, independent young woman as missing something because you don't have the annoying updates and tweets from those in your past.

Don't misunderstand my point of view, there can be strong friendships that develop in high school and do follow one through life, but the majority of Facebook and Twitter is just window dressing so that people can relive their "glory" years with an army of followers whom they believe to be hanging on every update. I would not give it a second thought, because you probably have a better quality of friendships and don't need to concern yourself with the quantity of apparent friendships that the social networking crowd likes to use to somehow boost their own ego.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,135,237 times
Well, fb does offer ease of communication for present friends. These days, I keep up to date with family and current events happening in my circle via fb. Our families live all over the country and they are large families. So, when there is going to be an event, it's posted on fb. Same goes for our friends. What I don't like is that my friends text me more often than call me. I hate texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships