Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you think if a guy said that to you?
Creepy! I would run! 5 12.20%
So romantic and sweet! I might just fall in love with him there! 3 7.32%
I'd suspect alterior motives 10 24.39%
Maybe kinda cute (or maybe not), but corny and syrupy 14 34.15%
Other 3 7.32%
I'm not a woman 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The first part could almost work for me, but the second part definitely creeps me out. The other creepy part is the whole "I could spend the rest of my life" thing... that's too clingy with the potential for being a stalker.

For me, the right way to approach me romantically is to start by telling me that you really enjoy my company. And in the beginning, any talk about forever love feelings and love smitten looks is just gross and would make my skin crawl.

In theory, having a man crush on me should be flattering. But in reality, it's not very comfortable having that sort of attention from a man unless I am crushing on him back. And even then, I don't want him telling me that he's ready to spend the rest of his life with me in his opening lines. Think it, but don't verbalize it until we've had a good amount of quality romantic time together.
Why do people confuse the thought of a possibility of lifetime commitment (which is only a POSSIBILITY, and the "rest of my life" is more of a hyperbole anyway) with "stalkers" and "clinginess"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Ugh, I HATE sweet talkers. If someone said that to me, I'd run away screaming. I have before

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Most girls today seem to concern themselves over "creepers" and "creepy" (but otherwise seemingly innocuous) behavior, e.g. searching a crush's name on Google or saying certain things "too early". What would you think if a guy, who up to now you had been friends with, but who seemed attracted to you, said the following:

"You know, I could spend the rest of my life talking to you you're so fun to talk with...and you're so beautiful I could spend the rest of my life looking at you."

I wouldn't think it was creepy, I'd just think he was trying to get into my pants. And, I'd probably be right.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
VERY poor example on the second.

Wait. This is good, Very, very good.

By your examples:

So what it comes down to is that in that one month that a couple is together, it IS alright for them to form an intimate bond, HAVE SEX and allllll that goes with that -and infatuation and lust just blows your hair back? With some of the *hm-Hm* things that are said in bed during the act - I find this absolutely amazing - I'm mesmerized by this "small" oversight.

A man who may enter his manhood in between a woman's thighs, enter her mind intimately... has NO ground to stand on to tell her that she has amazing eyes and could stare into them for an eternity?

That's just absolutely RAGGED.

What in the WORLD do you think the falling in love stages are about?! Keyword: STAGES. Young love, even in the oldest of individuals. It's about sweet words, cute gestures, playfulness -the fluttery feelings, the feeling a man gets when he feels he can climb the highest mountain - the giggles and flushing a woman gets being fussed over and adored. . . etc.

When a man falls in love with me - he is more than welcome to make an @ss out of himself. I protect my interests.

So damn rigid.
LMAO!! I'm sorry I had to laugh at your post although I'm not sure you meant it to be funny. Who ever said anything about them having lustful sex? I think you like to read too much into the lines to the point that you are just plain making a whole relationship up in your head. You have creativity .

If a couple has been dating for one month, this does not mean they are committed or having sex. They could just be casually dating. At this point in the relationship I don't think its appropiate to have all this flowery, overly sentimental, mushy gushy "I want to spend the rest of my life with you" talk. When you are past the age of being a teenager in high school, it is not cute anymore, it just shows a lack of emotional maturity.

And if being rigid means wanting sincerity instead of ego inflating infatuation, then call me rigid. I'll take that over naivety and shallowness any day.

But if that is what you like in a guy, then you have the right to your preference. I have no problems with that. *shrugs*

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why do people confuse the thought of a possibility of lifetime commitment (which is only a POSSIBILITY, and the "rest of my life" is more of a hyperbole anyway) with "stalkers" and "clinginess"?
Because we feel that they are having those feelings prematurely and it's not based on enough quality time spent together.

And no one should base so much of their love interest just on someone's good looks. I also don't want undying love from a man based on how I look on the outside.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
It would depend on how he said it. I think it would be pretty innapropriate to say that to a friend though.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
LMAO!! I'm sorry I had to laugh at your post although I'm not sure you meant it to be funny. Who ever said anything about them having lustful sex? I think you like to read too much into the lines to the point that you are just plain making a whole relationship up in your head. You have creativity .

If a couple has been dating for one month, this does not mean they are committed or having sex. They could just be casually dating. At this point in the relationship I don't think its appropiate to have all this flowery, overly sentimental, mushy gushy "I want to spend the rest of my life with you" talk. When you are past the age of being a teenager in high school, it is not cute anymore, it just shows a lack of emotional maturity.

And if being rigid means wanting sincerity instead of ego inflating infatuation, then call me rigid. I'll take that over naivety and shallowness any day.

But if that is what you like in a guy, then you have the right to your preference. I have no problems with that. *shrugs*
Stop.

I love when those on here try to re-write their own examples set forth by turning it around on others when questioned/called out. If I were joking, you would know it. Did I appear to be bouncy and jokey in my posting? Absolutely not. Be responsible for your own posting and handle it like the mature adult that you claim to be above.

The average 1 month relationship IS having sex, committed or NOT. But you try to flip it around to the select few who may not be for convenience to back up your words now. Now THAT is funnier than hell to me - and you were not even joking, imagine that.

Cheesy does not equate a lack of sincerity. It does not indicate a lack of emotional maturity. Heaven forbid someone actually be a little corny and playful.

Then again, maybe you are just not a very approachable and loving woman. Perhaps you have not been subjected to how wonderful young, playful love can feel with all of that barbed wire fencing you have going on around you. Perhaps you are too busy polishing your knife collection to even notice.

Foolish me. I did not consider the possibility of the source.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
Depends on how drunk or sober he is and the situation, but for the most part I think I'd probably assume he had ulterior motives.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

252 posts, read 660,900 times
I picked corny. I probably wouldn't even take those words seriously if a friend said them. Creepy is (true story) "I want to put pictures of you all over my walls." Nothing says stalker quite like that one-liner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships