Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times

Advertisements

I just like the companionship sometimes. It goes wherever it goes. I don't want to get married, so I don't think about that aspect of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it to find a compatible spouse, or is it simply for fun?
It's both at the same time. Moderator cut: Not necessary

I mean, why on earth would you ever marry somebody that you didn't have fun with?

Good grief, I should start charging for this wisdom.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
for women ---attracting good divorce material.
for men a futile pathetic attempt to get their physical needs met, a pill needs to be invented for guys asap.
scientists--- you saved the women, the pill, now save us.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
I think dating is good for both fun and finding a potential partner.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Moderator cut: Edited quoted text

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

i think looking at this stuff with others on CDF is like looking together at a huge elephant, what each of us describes-- is different-- but never the less a faithful honest discription of what we see from where we are standing.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-10-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text, removed orphaned comment

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I would hope so, miu, you are the one who claims you are smack center in a 6 year serious relationship with a man, currently.

You confuse me by your speaking often from a single, non-committed standpoint.

You make very few references to your 6 year relationship that you mentioned thoroughly about in the college thread - not offering advice or the perspective of a woman in one, yet, often as a woman who has been single and searching for quite some time.

So as your being a woman in a 6 year relationship with your boyfriend, how long term should one be with another before marrying? Is your situation for fun or to lead to marriage?
I've been married once before. And my feelings are that I'm not in a rush for another marriage. For me, marriage is important if a couple wants to make babies or buy a house together.

My boyfriend was rather anti-marriage before I met him, however he's not a player or into FWB relationships. We are very comfortable living together and it does feel very permanent to us. We do exchange the L word frequently with each other.

It has been six years, and before that I didn't even want to consider a formal commitment because my past relationship track record was rather consistent with falling out of love with my s/o at the 3 year mark and dumping them by the 5 year mark. So at 6 years, it is looking very good for me in terms of this being the "real thing".

Then there is our fairly large age gap of 23 years. When we first became a couple, he was only 22 years old. Even though right from the beginning, he was certain that he was in true love with me, I wanted to make sure that during his 20's, he wasn't going to grow apart from me. He is now 29 years old, so again getting married sooner would have been rash.

Lastly, in past years, it seemed as if his family and friends were getting married at the rate of one couple a year. This November, his little sister might be tying the knot with her boyfriend. After the dust settles, possibly we might consider getting married finally, but actually neither of us wants a fancy wedding ceremony. Maybe we will elope.

If I talk as if I were a single person, it's because at 50, I've had three other serious relationships and then the single downtime periods between them. And not being married, in a sense I am single. And I've been divorced for so long, I don't ever think of myself as a divorcee.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Is it to find a compatible spouse, or is it simply for fun?

What do you think?

Personally I think it is to find a life-partner that you will marry.
Depends on the person. For me, it was to have fun.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
To put it in the simplest terms, I used dating as a means to find a husband. Once I liked somebody I kinda latched on.

Not saying it's what you are supposed to do, just saying that's how I approached it.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
When I date, I am definitely seeking a long-term, marriage material partner. That's probably why I rarely see someone longer than a month

Dating in itself is not very fun to me, at least not at first. I want someone with whom I click, have grown comfortable, and have the security of commitment. I imagine that's when the fun begins, because you can just relax and enjoy each other.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
or is it simply for fun?
I can't see the fun in it for the life of me! I'd call it the occasional necessary evil. How can anybody possibly have fun telling his/her life story every few days is beyond me! Sounds like an unusual and cruel punishment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships