U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,495,965 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but Im seeking any advice I can get right now. Alright first of Im a Male 17 year old high school dropout. I dropped out of school due to self esteem issues. People always tell me Im good looking, but due to my self esteem I never approach girls and they don't approach me. I also have very few friends, actually only one really good friend. That is because I was teased in elementary school, and now even when someone wants to be my friend, I don't trust them. So thats why I dropped out of school. I also can't even get a minumum wage job. I've applied for dozens of them, and haven't gotten one yet. And I've been applying for them since last summer. Im registered to go to a community college, but am thinking about dropping out before I start. My dad lost his job in November of 2007. He briefly had a job in October of 2008, but was layed off from there too. My mom has always been a stay at home mom. So my parents have nothing, except unemployment and food stamps to support me, as well as my 4 other brothers. To make matters worse my parents thought that their bank would help us out with the payments on the house, well they recently siad no to that. They've already missed three house payments, so any day now are house could go into the first steps of forclosure. Really messed up right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM

7,246 posts, read 6,550,800 times
Its the finances the are holding you and your family back. Bottom line, the only way to improve this situation is alot of hard work. You work hard and the results will come. What are your interests? maybe you can pursue these in the job market.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Its the finances the are holding you and your family back. Bottom line, the only way to improve this situation is alot of hard work. You work hard and the results will come. What are your interests? maybe you can pursue these in the job market.
I really have no interest in anything at this point except maybe sociolagy. But I wouldn't be able to start off in a sociolagy class at a community college right now, because I tested low on their placement tests.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,946,715 times
You are not going to get into community college without a HS diploma or GED. The chances of you finding any kind of job right now, at your age, in this economy, is slim to none ( and I just saw Slim leaving town on a Greyhound)

Right now your number one priority should be getting your diploma. Are there any relatives that you can stay with?

Sacrificing your education right now will do your family no good and can hurt you later on. Once you find a program that can help you get into school, also find one that can provide you with counseling.

You are VERY young. Do not make mistakes now that you will have to live with the rest of your life.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
You are not going to get into community college without a HS diploma or GED. The chances of you finding any kind of job right now, at your age, in this economy, is slim to none ( and I just saw Slim leaving town on a Greyhound)

Right now your number one priority should be getting your diploma. Are there any relatives that you can stay with?

Sacrificing your education right now will do your family no good and can hurt you later on. Once you find a program that can help you get into school, also find one that can provide you with counseling.

You are VERY young. Do not make mistakes now that you will have to live with the rest of your life.
Naw I already got a GED, its just that I'd rather work a minumum wage job right now than go to college, but no one seems to be hiring.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,511,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but Im seeking any advice I can get right now. Alright first of Im a Male 17 year old high school dropout. I dropped out of school due to self esteem issues. People always tell me Im good looking, but due to my self esteem I never approach girls and they don't approach me. I also have very few friends, actually only one really good friend. That is because I was teased in elementary school, and now even when someone wants to be my friend, I don't trust them. So thats why I dropped out of school. I also can't even get a minumum wage job. I've applied for dozens of them, and haven't gotten one yet. And I've been applying for them since last summer. Im registered to go to a community college, but am thinking about dropping out before I start. My dad lost his job in November of 2007. He briefly had a job in October of 2008, but was layed off from there too. My mom has always been a stay at home mom. So my parents have nothing, except unemployment and food stamps to support me, as well as my 4 other brothers. To make matters worse my parents thought that their bank would help us out with the payments on the house, well they recently siad no to that. They've already missed three house payments, so any day now are house could go into the first steps of forclosure. Really messed up right now.
Oh brother, don't be depressed, this is the situation of many families today, in this economic crisis.

You should go back to the idea of joining the community college and completing it. (Edit: Like mongoslade says, complete whatever education you can)

When you get your degree, land a job and put your feet on the ground safe and strong, you will see everything fall into place in the girlfriend department.

Don't let bullying and teasing fools sully your young mind. At this age, this might sound as the show stopper, but life is long and you have 50 good years ahead of you. Don't let this tiny thing ruin your future.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 PM

5,990 posts, read 5,116,934 times
Quote:
Naw I already got a GED, its just that I'd rather work a minumum wage job right now than go to college, but no one seems to be hiring.
You may have to drum up your own job. My brother's been out of work going on a year. He's got a large pickup truck and he's now hauling junk out of people's homes and yards and taking it to the dump. I told him he should knock on realtors' doors to see if they'll hire him to clean up empty homes. So he's created his own employment.

Is there something you can do, a service you may be able to provide?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM

12,180 posts, read 11,059,713 times
Quote:
So you decided to drop out of high school, and ruin your entire life, because other immature people teased you?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM

252 posts, read 389,511 times
Its kind of a backwards way to go about things, but I would seriously advise college. If your family is as poor as you say, you should get decent loans and you'll have a fresh start at meeting people that have no clue about your personal life. Also, colleges tend to have free counseling services and if yours does, you could seriously look into it. I went to them a couple times, but knew other students that nearly lived there when not at class. My counselor was incredibly helpful at helping me when it came to money and schooling issues. The reason why I admit this is backwards is that in the long run you might be paying more than if you just went to a counselor, but at the same time you'd be getting school credits and meeting people who might just like you for you. College tends to be different than high school in that aspect. And I don't know how your college works, but in mine, almost everyone had to take a year of generals before being able to get classes that went towards their majors.

Moral of the story: I highly advise you try for a year of college since you're registered. You at least get to see that there is a different world than high school, you might get free help on your issues, and if you only make it for a full year and quit, most employers prefer "some college" over none. Heck, if you're lucky you might even get a part-time job through the college. Nothing will change if you stay where you are though.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,700,011 times
you can take college classes at a jc without a highschool degree or ged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships