Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Why do you feel the need to burn your bridges? Maybe someday you will need a job where she works, or need a ride home from the middle of nowhere when your car breaks down. Just continue to not respond, or respond but be busy.
You don't say why you feel the way you do, but unless you found out she's a child molestor or shoplifter, or something really unsavory, why not keep her on the back burner?
I'm 60, and in all these years, I have certainly been lukewarm about a few people, but I've never needed to tell them straight out to stay away from me. Why be hurtful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
I was gonna say....what can you really do, but to just blow her off?
Meh. She will get the hint, eventually.
You have been really busy......lol

Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,458 times
I'm in the process of doing the fade out on a 'friend' for the second time. The only reason why i started talking to her again is b/c we were friends for a long time and good friends. But what i loved about her b/c extreme, her being very blunt. Being blunt became being mean over the years. And as each year passed she became meaner and meaner to people. Eventually i would get the mean comments and condescinding attitude. She would talk to me in ways that even strangers wouldn't...and this is a friend?

Not anymore. I wanted to tell her why i don't want to be her friend anymore, but it's hard to tell someone you just don't like them anymore. Besides, she's the type that would somehow turn her meaness into it being my problem.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
I don't play the "fade-ignore" game. I like to be upfront and not leave people feeling dangled or ignored. Think of a time when someone left you dangling with no closure - did it feel good? Hopefully not. Give someone else the same courtesy that you would wish to have done to you. Step up to plate and tell the person, "It's been nice, but I do not feel that we are compatible in friendship." Takes much less time, you have been honest and you can look at yourself in the morning knowing that you were true to yourself and to another. Protect your character and dignity.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I don't play the "fade-ignore" game. I like to be upfront and not leave people feeling dangled or ignored. Think of a time when someone left you dangling with no closure - did it feel good? Hopefully not. Give someone else the same courtesy that you would wish to have done to you. Step up to plate and tell the person, "It's been nice, but I do not feel that we are compatible in friendship." Takes much less time, you have been honest and you can look at yourself in the morning knowing that you were true to yourself and to another. Protect your character and dignity.
I could take a hint. I mean, if someone did not return my calls, etc. I would say,'Fine. I`m not calling her anymore."
Although honesty is probably the best bet.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post

It's not a game. To me, it's better to fade out, instead of having a blow-up, that can turn physical. Maybe you still like to fight and argue, i don't. & i can honestly say this confrontation has a 95% chance of turning physical would turn physical.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
It's not a game. To me, it's better to fade out, instead of having a blow-up, that can turn physical. Maybe you still like to fight and argue, i don't. & i can honestly say this confrontation has a 95% chance of turning physical would turn physical.
Is that so. . .I have yet to have one altercation by being honest. Excuse me, do you know how and why altercations manifest? DIShonesty and avoidance.

It takes a mighty big head to actually think that one would throw themselves at your feet to either plead or beg for your continued friendship. No one is that much of a legend in other peoples minds. Fact.

So many people bury their heads in the sand like an Ostrich by choice. Cowardice. Which is an extreme pity - it's better to stand for something than nothing at all. If you stand for nothing, it's as good as being the walking dead.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
It's not pleasant when people don't take a hint... because we've all had someone hope that WE took a hint.

I think you should wait a little longer - maybe she will give up.

Hints are for brats.
Just tell them. I could see not returning one or two calls/emails, after that, just tell them.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Although, I do believe in honesty, I also have feelings. I would worry about hurting her feelings if I just blurted out.."Sorry, but we don`t have anything in common, so....you need to GET!"

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I would tell her I have issues to figure out or personal problems......they could take long ....meanwhile she will move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships