Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Although, I do believe in honesty, I also have feelings. I would worry about hurting her feelings if I just blurted out.."Sorry, but we don`t have anything in common, so....you need to GET!"
There is no rudeness involved in it - not if one says it kindness and with tact. There isn't even reason to elaborate. "I feel we are not compatible, I wish you the best." Most people will shrug and move on.

The ones who appear to be worried about violence seem to either be teenagers or are seriously hanging out with crowds that like to rumble and smash beer cans on their foreheads. I cannot relate to that side of the tracks. I'm sure many with an ounce of class and decency can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I could take a hint. I mean, if someone did not return my calls, etc. I would say,'Fine. I`m not calling her anymore."
Although honesty is probably the best bet.
I would be the same way...after awhile a person doesn't want to talk to me...."oh ok...fine time to find a new friend...many people out there!!!"

Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Rejection has a bitter sting. Hopefully, we will all get to experience it. (not that we deserve it by any means). Perhaps we can feel a bit of empathy before we "blow someone off." (unless they did something truly vile to us, and deserve to be pushed away)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I have been on both ends of this situations.

I had a guy friend who called me almost every day and talked. We hung out at least once a week and had a great time together. He called me one night, said he was going to get cleaned up and call me back in a few so we could go out for a beer. I haven't heard from him in almost 3 weeks now. I have no idea what happened. I called 3 times over two weeks and no answer, no return call. I just left it at that. I do not chase - ever. I wish he had just told me why, you know, what happened. Very weird. He had feelings for me, but we were not romantically involved, so I have just told myself that maybe he couldn't deal, but otherwise, I have no idea. And it actually hurts my feelings that he thinks he cannot talk to me about it and does not feel the need to be honest with me.

So, just from personal experience, I would say you need to tell her nicely what is up.

I've had to fire a friend for personal reasons, but that would make for a realllllllly long post.

Last edited by the minx; 08-14-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM

429 posts, read 684,832 times
just tell her that you feel that your friendship with her has run its coarse or stop answering her...its simple

Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
I can't believe all the opinions! Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I can see things from both sides, from being upfront to doing the fade thing. It's not the first friend I've had to let go. This particular one, I don't care that much about because we only met a year ago and in that time she has been a "b" more than once. There are other problems with her but one of them is not violence. I don't think if I was honest she is going to beat me up. LOL...I will also never need her for anything, so I'm not worried about burning bridges. I do understand that theory with leaving a job though. There are past employers I would love to tell off but don't because you never know when you might need them. I would really like to just call her and be honest but like I said, I thought about her personality as someone here suggested. She is the type that would question me and I push me to explain what it is I don't like about her. I don't even have a problem with that but I don't think she would just let it go and would try and argue or turn things against me somehow. I really don't need that crap right now or the stress. I didn't answer her last text which was days ago. She asked if I was ok, knowing I'm sick. If she was really a friend and worried about me then wouldn't she call? I haven't spoken with her since the end of May and have been very sick. Not once did she call out of concern. I'm glad because I don't want anything to do with her but it shows what type of person she is. This is why I'm doing the fade thing because I don't think she deserves more than that.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:46 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Yeah...depending on the individual, and their "ways" would be a big factor in how you would handle it. It sounds like your doing the right thing.
Hope that your not still sick, and that your feeling better.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Rejection has a bitter sting. Hopefully, we will all get to experience it. (not that we deserve it by any means). Perhaps we can feel a bit of empathy before we "blow someone off." (unless they did something truly vile to us, and deserve to be pushed away)
Please I have been rejected before....and you think eff him then...curse him out..cry...then say on to the next one.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
just say I am sorry but I really find that we dont have anything in common and dont mean to be mean but cannot really find friendship with you at all . good luck .

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
The fade does work.

There's a college-time friend (well, we don't talk anymore) whom I've faded on. He is extremely stubborn and proud, and a bit dense IMO, and culturally we are a bit too dissimilar even though we have the same ethnic background.

We hung out a lot earlier this decade, but as time passed it became evident we became too different at this stage in life. He's not a good talker; I am. He's too old-fashioned; I'm way more americanized. He's not erudite, doesn't read, and speaks unimpressive English even after more than 25 years in America. I read, try to keep up with news, and always try to speak properly.

But it wasn't just that. We just don't match. We actually had a serious falling out 8 years ago. I won't get into it, but I confronted him very angrily and he refused to admit wrongdoing or to apologize. A 2 1/2 year separation ensued and it only ended because he had his first child. Those news melted the tension.

Things were OK from there but finally 2 years ago he did some things that pissed me off. Social gaffes of the worst kind, revealing an immature, selfish, and simply unpolished person. I got tired of it and just stopped talking to him. Never called him again. No more holiday greeting cards (which he never once sent). Ignored him on his birthday. Didn't have him come to my birthday get-together.

I think he finally got the drift. I saw him once this year and that was at a common friend's house. Even then he did something that irked me. I didn't speak to him the rest of the evening.

I'll be cordial if I see him, but I will never go back to what we had before. Not that it was all bad; he is not a bad person. But, we just don't match. Different interests, different cultural outlook, different friends. It's best for me that way.

PS: If I get married, I'm not inviting him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships