Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,456,205 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think opposites attract. Driven, successful business men marry more laid back women. Drive, successful business women marry more laid back men. We all balance each other out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,071,313 times
If they are genuinely interested in the man. Why not

Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,071,313 times
Being the head hancho or owner allows one to cuss at work and act like a complete jack a** if they want too. Those sorts of rights are gold. Not saying they have to act that way but they are not compelled out of fear to act a certain way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Why is this tiresome? SHOULDN'T the jobs working with young people be going to the people who actually do enjoy it?

I teach disabled kids. Who should be doing it? People who hate kids? I'm not likely to stop doing what I'm good at simply because some find it tiresome or cliche.

Consider this... "Oh, my god, you know what's so cliche? Men who HAVE to be the corporate CEO type...the whole aspiring to be the textbook alpha male thing is so tired....every guy I meet is so absorbed in climbing the ladder...yawn. I guess the push to be the head honcho control freak really DOES control many men."

Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,294,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I'll try to explain my question coherently enough so that I don't get too many weird/angry/passive aggressive responses!

I've met some very successful men in their given career and one thing I've always noticed is that (with the exception of one who's wife is a lawyer) their female counterparts - while always very lovely, engaging, and smart - aren't exactly career driven.

This makes me question whether or not one bustling and powerful career is the limit for a relationship?

Is it possible that successful men don't want to feel threatened by their significant other's career so they choose a girl (or boy, for all you politically correct people out there) that isn't swiftly ascending the career ladder?

Thoughts, opinions, statements - anyone? Bueller?
Observations about execs.

They lead crazy busy lives and are expected to be essentially on call 24/7/365. Most are still in this day and age married white males. I don't know very many who want to be childless. Put it all together, and the SAHM seems to be what most of them want.

YMMV.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:27 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,311,922 times
Quote:
I'll try to explain my question coherently enough so that I don't get too many weird/angry/passive aggressive responses!

I've met some very successful men in their given career and one thing I've always noticed is that (with the exception of one who's wife is a lawyer) their female counterparts - while always very lovely, engaging, and smart - aren't exactly career driven.

This makes me question whether or not one bustling and powerful career is the limit for a relationship?

Is it possible that successful men don't want to feel threatened by their significant other's career so they choose a girl (or boy, for all you politically correct people out there) that isn't swiftly ascending the career ladder?

The answer to the question in the title of the thread is 'some do, some do not.'

All else being equal, I am less likely to be interested in a particularly career oriented woman than one who works in the more traditional jobs that females often work (nurse, teacher, etc.). In my case, I would say that a powerful career is, in general, a turnoff but it is not a deal breaker. It's a turnoff b/c I've found that women in such roles tend to have aggressive personalities, which do not match my preferences.

People want what they don't or can't have. If a guy is doing well professionally, a woman's income means nothing to him (plus these people are often found in large cities, where they're paying >50% in taxes on what they make so the extra buck is more like the extra 40 cents). These women tend to have less free time, which is going to be a turnoff to a successful man. There are reasons that successful men often partner with women who are teachers or nurses; they tend to be good with children, have modest hours with a fair amount of free time (and summers off for teachers), etc.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM

311 posts, read 291,326 times
Quote:

Since you are not a fan of political correctness, I will tell you the truth.
Some men don't want a nanny to raise/molest their kids. As a result, they tend to prefer women who don't believe that it's degrading to spend quality time with the little ones.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:21 PM

156 posts, read 217,896 times
Women are primarily judged on their physical beauty.

Their professional accomplishments do little to enhance their status in dating and marriage.

Are successful men lining up to marry cocktail waitresses and bartenders? Not really, but they aren't falling head-over-heels for a 45 year old corporate attorney who works 60 hours a week either.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 PM

100 posts, read 52,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Moderator cut: Personal attack

The fact that women "marry up" is a direct consequence of the days when only men were allowed to have an education and make a career for themselves without restrictions.

Women traditionally have had very little opportunity to "be all they can be". This only began changing in the very recent past. So, "marrying up" was what a woman had to do to pull herself up to the financial advantages of men in most cases. This doesn't make women evil for pete's sake - it just is what it is.
The way I see it is that the guy came up to me and talked to me and ASKED me out. I had nothing to do with that whole process. I did not go after him. I did not trap him. He chose to take me out and he continued to choose to take me out after that. So, I don't consider it marrying up. I am a scientist and God knows that I won't make a lot of money but as long as I make enough money to support myself, I see no problem.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM

11,115 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And I was simply responding to your question

Two equally matched "successful" career individuals do not a succussful marriage always make. Sure it happens, but with some added stresses to the relationship.

Again, a smart "career" individual realizes her/his need for a mate to complement their strengths, not be identical to them.
My father is a lawyer and my mother is a surgeon.. both very successful and they've been married for over 30 years. They work together for a common cause rather then compete.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM

264 posts, read 182,235 times
Just to add my two bits....

It isn't necessarily about ego or marrying up or he's looking for a trophy or she's looking for money. It's about simple logistics. If one's career requires one to move on occasion or work crazy hours then sometimes it's more functional to find someone that wants to work as a team and advance 1 career than to find someone that has their own thing going. It's a simple matter of having a common goal. Just my two bits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships