Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,377 times

Advertisements

I'll try to explain my question coherently enough so that I don't get too many weird/angry/passive aggressive responses!

I've met some very successful men in their given career and one thing I've always noticed is that (with the exception of one who's wife is a lawyer) their female counterparts - while always very lovely, engaging, and smart - aren't exactly career driven.

This makes me question whether or not one bustling and powerful career is the limit for a relationship?

Is it possible that successful men don't want to feel threatened by their significant other's career so they choose a girl (or boy, for all you politically correct people out there) that isn't swiftly ascending the career ladder?

Thoughts, opinions, statements - anyone? Bueller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:15 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I've met some very successful men in their given career and one thing I've always noticed is that (with the exception of one who's wife is a lawyer) their female counterparts - while always very lovely, engaging, and smart - aren't exactly career driven.
I don't know what crowd you hang around with, but this is generally not the case among people I know. I socialize with many Ph.D's, M.D.'s, lawyers, and business executives. They are often married/partnered to people of similar professional and educational status. There are numerous exceptions, of course, but I would estimate that 3 out of 4 times there are socio-educational similarities.

What I have noticed is that when there is a professional or social imbalance, it is very often along the lines you suggested (i.e. high powered guy, gal with more modest accomplishments), the couple is rather traditionalistic, and, politically speaking, often conservative. But, again, I can think of exceptions to this rule, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
I socialize with many Ph.D's, M.D.'s, lawyers, and business executives. They are often married/partnered to people of similar professional and educational status.
Yep, both work 60 hour weeks and shag in one or the other's office elevator, for lack of time

They'll generally block an outlook calendar item for this, based on that week's schedule which must be up to date.

One of them will bring an agenda for the meeting:
1. After 9pm, remote, dim-lighted elevator.
2. Slightly undress
3. Foreplay
4. Condom checkpoint
5. Maska Chaska
6. Napkins for sweat and the rest
7. Dress up
8. Closure

One of them will later on document the minutes of meeting and upload the document into sharepoint or collaboration space portals

Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
I'll try to explain my question coherently enough so that I don't get too many weird/angry/passive aggressive responses!

This makes me question whether or not one bustling and powerful career is the limit for a relationship?

Is it possible that successful men don't want to feel threatened by their significant other's career so they choose a girl (or boy, for all you politically correct people out there) that isn't swiftly ascending the career ladder?

Thoughts, opinions, statements - anyone? Bueller?

If being "career driven" is the be all and end all measure of success, we are all in trouble in this society

The smart individual realizes the value of a partner who COMPLEMENTS them, not COMPETES with them.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Professorsenator: You make a great point with the conservative comment! The crowd I've been exposed to is generally on the older side of the spectrum so they may have been raised more old fashioned as well - maybe not.

Antlered: You forgot the shooting of emails off a blackberry!!

LovesMountains: I was simply making an observation (and a fairly brief one at that! Just curious to hear other people's thoughts since many have much more experiences and wisdom than me), not implying a statement.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
women like to marry up, the explanation is painfully clear if you spend a day in family court.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Professorsenator: You make a great point with the conservative comment! The crowd I've been exposed to is generally on the older side of the spectrum so they may have been raised more old fashioned as well - maybe not.

Antlered: You forgot the shooting of emails off a blackberry!!

LovesMountains: I was simply making an observation (and a fairly brief one at that! Just curious to hear other people's thoughts since many have much more experiences and wisdom than me), not implying a statement.
And I was simply responding to your question

Two equally matched "successful" career individuals do not a succussful marriage always make. Sure it happens, but with some added stresses to the relationship.

Again, a smart "career" individual realizes her/his need for a mate to complement their strengths, not be identical to them.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,698,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Ph.D's, M.D.'s, lawyers, and business executives. They are often married/partnered to people of similar professional and educational status.
I witnessed some major differences. I do see this when Dr/lawyers have their own practices, but I've hospital surgeons, business execs and even successful high-management non-executives tend not to favor their mates status and concentrate on looks or more of a house wife.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
women like to marry up, the explanation is painfully clear if you spend a day in family court.
Moderator cut: Personal attack

The fact that women "marry up" is a direct consequence of the days when only men were allowed to have an education and make a career for themselves without restrictions.

Women traditionally have had very little opportunity to "be all they can be". This only began changing in the very recent past. So, "marrying up" was what a woman had to do to pull herself up to the financial advantages of men in most cases. This doesn't make women evil for pete's sake - it just is what it is.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And I was simply responding to your question

Two equally matched "successful" career individuals do not a succussful marriage always make. Sure it happens, but with some added stresses to the relationship.

Again, a smart "career" individual realizes her/his need for a mate to complement their strengths, not be identical to them.
This is exactly what I was wondering about. . . if one person needs another person to balance them out and therefore doesn't go for the male/female version of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships