Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: FWB VS. Relationships
To me relationships are Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver. I just want to have fun. 2 6.06%
You are right Artsy. Relationships are about fun and games. 2 6.06%
I like FWB because it takes no efforts and is superficial. Hit it and Quit it. 3 9.09%
No opinion. 1 3.03%
Other opinion 3 9.09%
People have the wrong idea about both FWB and Relationships. It varies with each individual. 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
some of us enjoy a sexual relationship with someone that we are attracted to and like but realize that a LTR would never work so its all good until we are ready for that commitment. It does not make us cold permanent emotional black holes.
Maybe not, but what does it make you if you know that other person is attracted to you as well? The danger with FWB relationships is that people can develop feelings. People can enter into them and tell themselves it'll never happen. I've met women who I was attracted to both physically as well as emotionally. But I knew that things would never work out with them. I had the option to just be a FWB to them, but I chose not to because I knew it would just be more painful later on. In order for a FWB relationship to work, it really does have to be "just sex."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Maybe not, but what does it make you if you know that other person is attracted to you as well? The danger with FWB relationships is that people can develop feelings. People can enter into them and tell themselves it'll never happen. I've met women who I was attracted to both physically as well as emotionally. But I knew that things would never work out with them. I had the option to just be a FWB to them, but I chose not to because I knew it would just be more painful later on. In order for a FWB relationship to work, it really does have to be "just sex."
People need to think responsibly in these situations. You know yourself, you chose to avoid it. Others are just not in that same place you are. If they can find someone of like mind, all is good.

If you know someone is falling for you and you continue on with the relationship when you don't feel the same way, then you would be in the wrong. However, some people go into these relationships knowing what the rules are, fall in love and DON'T express it because they know what the rules are. Who is at fault when they get hurt? In reality, no one. You can't help how you feel (or don't feel) as much as you can't walk away from a problem you don't know exists. But we are ultimately responsible for our decisions to stay or leave, in that particular scenario.

By definition, the FWB is sex among friends. It can't be "just sex" and be a friendship with benefits. The controversy begins when people confuse it for an emotionless booty call or try to project vanilla values upon it. I have had two such relationships. My experiences alone prove that it is not an empty and selfish pursuit. How many of us say we want to be with someone who will also be our best friend? So, how inconceivable would it be to become intimate with a friend if the elements of attraction and trust are in place?

Too often, people criticize what they don't think is possible because they haven't experienced it. To take it even further, they'll dismiss the possibility because they are not capable of it. That doesn't make them better people, it makes them different. I'm personally thankful we are not all the same.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
FWB --friends with benefits - an acronym for a 4 letter word.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
FWB --friends with benefits - an acronym for a 4 letter word.
Throw some of that in and it gets even better.

Though I don't think that was quite what you had in mind.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
PTC
Thanks for your response to the above, you expressed my thoughts as well.
I would like to add that I have seen more situations where someone is hurt because they are lead to believe it is a gf/bf relationship but one is actually using the other for sex.

I have also had a couple instances that a guy was interested in me and I let him know I had no interest, but he would continue to persue me anyway. It wasnt pretty. So people have the potential to get hurt in all relationships. At least with FWBs expectations are straight forward.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
PTC
Thanks for your response to the above, you expressed my thoughts as well.
I would like to add that I have seen more situations where someone is hurt because they are lead to believe it is a gf/bf relationship but one is actually using the other for sex.

I have also had a couple instances that a guy was interested in me and I let him know I had no interest, but he would continue to persue me anyway. It wasnt pretty. So people have the potential to get hurt in all relationships. At least with FWBs expectations are straight forward.
Relationships can be complicated in general. That's why I kinda chuckle when people try to paint it black and white for everyone. It's just not realistic.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Relationships can be complicated in general. That's why I kinda chuckle when people try to paint it black and white for everyone. It's just not realistic.
Well when you treat it like a gray area, you don't get to be quite as judgemental, you see?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
FWB works for some, not for others. Open communication, honesty, and knowing yourself and what you can handle goes a long way to the success or failure of any relationship, whether it's long term, short term or FWB. There is no one blue print that applies to everyone.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
The words FWB and relationship don't belong in the same sentence.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well when you treat it like a gray area, you don't get to be quite as judgemental, you see?
Not sure what you mean. As judgmental as the others here? You're right, I'm not.

I know it's not black and white, I also know it's not gray. So, I don't treat it as such. Sorry if I misled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships