U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 PM

283 posts, read 840,899 times

Advertisements

Just curious , not gold diggers, just how many of you ladies think it is important he do maybe 75% of paying for stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,514,244 times
This is going to be fun.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
In before the "oh it doesn't matter" argument from women ...

It has been scientifically proven that money matters - to a degree. An average looking man who may be overweight but who makes well into six figures is more attractive than the same man who makes $35k a year as a clerk.

This has been shown time and again in public, random surveys.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM

11,679 posts, read 14,422,910 times
I do tend to be attracted to men with money, but that doesn't mean I spend it for him. I'm quite the opposite. I like to pay for things when we go out and I like to take care of him, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
Just curious , not gold diggers, just how many of you ladies think it is important he do maybe 75% of paying for stuff?
Given that when guys pay they think they're owed something, I'll pay my own way, thank you. It's not worth it to let him pay ... unless you're planning on hopping in the sack with him anyhow then you might as well go for the free meal.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM

302 posts, read 777,580 times
Yes, it matters. I will not agree to a date if I cannot pay my half, but I think it is kind when a man pays for me. I also try and pay for him at times. I wouldn't pin it at 75% of the time, but I will admit that I enjoy it when a man pays for me. Makes me feel taken care of.

But, I don't expect it, nor do I demand a man has a lot of money. Yes, I am impressed when a man can pay for me a majority of the time, but it is the way he does it. I do not expect fancy dinners and the lot. I don't want someone going broke just to buy stuff! If he can only afford fish tacos, fish tacos it will be I will be more impressed by a lot of cheaper dates that he pays for then one or two really expensive dates. In the end, though, I am more concerned by the generosity of someone's nature than the actual cash that flows out of their bank account for me.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,201,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
If it's his stuff he needs to be paying 100% of it. I have no problem with men not having money; I have a problem with men expecting to have things with other people's money.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,308,363 times
I think most women (no matter how independent) want to feel that at the end of the day, they can be taken care of by a man. (like Dr. Phil says, a soft place to fall).

Now don't rake me over the coals ladies....I am no stepford wife and hold my own in the relationship, but when I was dating I would sometimes grow tired of ME always having to look out for ME.

It's nice to know that I COULD be taken care of! No one wants to date a scrub but they don't have to be a Rockafeller either!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM

9,048 posts, read 14,316,028 times
Success is an element of attraction for me. A successful man represents assertiveness, ambition, security and responsibility (and vice versa). Beyond the initial couple of dates, if we decide to continue seeing each other, I will offer to pay but the men I date are usually not comfortable with that. I'll offer to cook dinner or buy him something special out of gratitude - it's not a form of reimbursement. We don't keep a balance sheet. I wouldn't ever say he should pay 75% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given that when guys pay they think they're owed something, I'll pay my own way, thank you. It's not worth it to let him pay ... unless you're planning on hopping in the sack with him anyhow then you might as well go for the free meal.
I respect wanting to and being able to pay your own way. But, doesn't this line of thinking re-enforce the notion that we do owe them, when we don't?

I feel no obligation to do anything I'm not ready or willing to do. I don't care how much he spends on a date.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,201,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I respect wanting to and being able to pay your own way. But, doesn't this line of thinking re-enforce the notion that we do owe them, when we don't?

I feel no obligation to do anything I'm not ready or willing to do. I don't care how much he spends on a date.
I work the opposite end of the spectrum; the more I dislike you - the more of your money I'll spend and then I have someone else pick me up...just kidding (well not really; I'll catch a cab if no one picks up their phone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or