Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM

530 posts, read 902,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Guys, if you wanted to approach a woman (wherever, not necessarily a bar) and ask her out/get her phone number (im not talking about online, but offline),and she gives you the "Im old enough to be your mother" or some similar response, does it 'hurt' you to hear that? How would you react/how have you reacted? If you really wanted to pursue her, would that comment make you back down?

I am in my 26 and have often noticed myself to be attracted to women old enough to be my mom (I know...no rude comments please) and I know I would get that kinda reaction when apporaching these women so I wanted to know from other men how they deal. I find it easier to talk to them and they stimulate my mind more, although, there is nothing wrong with women my age, except I just dont find 20-somethings that attractive, physically or emotionally, anymore..I wish I could. Its hard going against the grain of society.

Okay, I'm not the guy or a guy period...Anyway, this happened to me. I am older and I was approached by this younger man who also happened to be an athlete. So I was like what the heck?! Is he playing with me. So I responded to his advances, like if I was your age. And he said, well you're not. You're your age. I looked at him and smiled & we saw each other for about 6 months. That was a couple years ago, but we're still friends. He's a sweetie - just not the sweetie for me. AND NOT BECAUSE OF HIS AGE. But being with an athlete is hard I'm sure in your 20's over 35+ its.....too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
In the shoes of the OP I would smile, laugh a little and say "I seriously doubt that."

If she asked how old I thought she was, I'd keep smiling and say "I think you're attractive enough that I don't care how old you are. What I do care about is whether I can buy you a drink and we can sit and talk a while."

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
How would I ever hear this? In a dating situation?

Oh well.

The Accounting Manager always says, "I'm not old enough to be your mother, quit calling me ma'am." She's 53, and my mom is 52. I don't really have the heart to tell her she's older than my mother.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
In the shoes of the OP I would smile, laugh a little and say "I seriously doubt that."

If she asked how old I thought she was, I'd keep smiling and say "I think you're attractive enough that I don't care how old you are. What I do care about is whether I can buy you a drink and we can sit and talk a while."
Very good! And you would likely get a positive response.

I think on the woman's part, there might be some mixed feelings and thoughts there. Like, "maybe he thinks I look younger than I do, which is great, but then maybe once he finds out I'm not that young, he'll reject me because of my age, so maybe it's better if I straighten the facts out now and if he's still interested after he knows..."

Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
The Accounting Manager always says, "I'm not old enough to be your mother, quit calling me ma'am." She's 53, and my mom is 52. I don't really have the heart to tell her she's older than my mother.
That's irrelevant. If she doesn't want to be called ma'am, you don't call her ma'am. It's as simple as that. Besides, that's not common in the workplace anyway.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
How would I ever hear this? In a dating situation?

Oh well.

Call her sweetheart, see what happens. If anyone tries to press a suit, just wave your hands and say "She told me not to call her ma'am!" Feign ignorance; they have to document at least one written warning.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
If you are 26, the target woman you are describing is in her forties. She's learned what she wants in a man, and probably can quickly assess that you are not fitting the bill. That's not a slam on you. I am only trying to explain the situation from the woman's view. I had many offers in my thirties and forties, and the young men involved just hadn't matured to the point where I wanted to expend the time or energy in training them.

As my DH would say, in his fishing "they were not 'keepers.'"

Relationships are more involved than heady conversations and physical attractions. At forty, a woman is looking for a partner to go forward in her life and be ready to meet all of its demands. Often, when you see older men with younger women, it isn't the woman that was left behind, but an older man that wasn't equipped to handle mature life.

At forty something, we've got our heads and hearts pretty well understood and are not looking for flings.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you are 26, the target woman you are describing is in her forties. She's learned what she wants in a man, and probably can quickly assess that you are not fitting the bill. That's not a slam on you. I am only trying to explain the situation from the woman's view. I had many offers in my thirties and forties, and the young men involved just hadn't matured to the point where I wanted to expend the time or energy in training them.

As my DH would say, in his fishing "they were not 'keepers.'"

Relationships are more involved than heady conversations and physical attractions. At forty, a woman is looking for a partner to go forward in her life and be ready to meet all of its demands. Often, when you see older men with younger women, it isn't the woman that was left behind, but an older man that wasn't equipped to handle mature life.

At forty something, we've got our heads and hearts pretty well understood and are not looking for flings.

There's an entire Cougar Culture out there who just might disagree. And while that doesn't make them special, or even attractive, there are rather too many of them to off-handedly discount or simply ignore.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Call her sweetheart, see what happens. If anyone tries to press a suit, just wave your hands and say "She told me not to call her ma'am!" Feign ignorance; they have to document at least one written warning.

If I wear a tank top and some board shorts to work, I have the feeling she'd let me call her whatever I want. "ooh hoo hoo oh sizzle you need another $10k no problem."

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
There's an entire Cougar Culture out there who just might disagree. And while that doesn't make them special, or even attractive, there are rather too many of them to off-handedly discount or simply ignore.

Cougar Culture: Pilot

As I enter the Antique Bazaar, my nostrils are assaulted by the stench of patchouli, desperation, and narcissism. It doesn’t take me long to spot my first cougar. She stands by the bronze statues, applying maroon lipstick to her careworn lips. Her hair is over bleached and stringy looking; her skin is over tanned and looks to be a C grade level of leather. She smells somewhat of raspberry yogurt. She wears a loose fitting, ankle length flower print skirt. She smiles meekly at the middle-aged men, walking unhappily with their middle-aged wives. For at the age of 47, she knows she is better than them. She is better than them because middle age will never catch up with her, as long as there is the juice of youth to drink. And oh are they willing to let her drink it.

This location is the perfect place to begin a hunt. It sits across from a sports bar, where several stupid frat boys are known to frequent. After marking her hunting grounds, she sets up shop near the front window. She crouches creepily, awaiting the college football games to start, and the establishment to fill up with fresh blood.

….

Four young men, all named Mike decide to go watch the slate of Saturday games, at their favorite Sports Pub. They slap each other on the back and look forward to a day of friendship; not knowing that by the end of the day one of them will be ruined….sucked lifeless of his youth by a cougar desperate for a meal….

The four Mikes begin a feverish farting contest. One of the Mikes soils himself…texting a buddy to bring a fresh pair of drawers. Soon there are five Mikes….the Cougar pounces. She enters the bar, letting her aroma of cheap perfume and creepiness flow through the place. The Mikes giggle; the cougar sits at the bar.

“What will you have?” says the friendly bartender.

“One of those fresh young boys, you watch and see,” retorts Tabitha, for now her name is known.

At that point, she clumsily strides to the bathroom, to apply more hunting scent; along the way she “accidentally lets a breast fall from her dress. Oops. The Bartender knows he should throw her out, but this encounter will be all too entertaining to pass up.

Tabitha emerges from the crapper and approaches her victims.

“Can I buy you fellas a drink?”
In unison, “You are old enough to be our mothers!!”
“Are we not all old enough to be drinking here? Please let me buy you drinks, all the drinks you want.”
In unison, “Sure lady, whatever you want!!”

And so the slaughter begins. =(

Last edited by JSizzle225; 09-09-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships