Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM

59 posts, read 106,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Is this true to you? How easily convinced are you by words?

I find that I'm not. Especially in relationships. In some, not all things, I can't go on words alone. Seeing them backed up by action really mean a lot to me.
Agree with you there - especially in relationships. Words are nice. But if the actions don't back up what's being said, the words end up meaning nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
So, do apologies mean anything then? If words are less important.
Of course they do, but if they're not backed up by actions that rectify the situation, then the apology is meaningless.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
The older I get, the more words don't mean diddly squat. Love, is an action word in my book. And some of the most untrustworthy, shady people I've ever met were full of words, and dodo.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Is this true to you? How easily convinced are you by words?

I find that I'm not. Especially in relationships. In some, not all things, I can't go on words alone. Seeing them backed up by action really mean a lot to me.
I prefer actions to words. I don't always recognize the significance of some actions though. For example, way back in high school, we were on a school field trip, and the girl sitting next to me fell asleep on my shoulder (I was already asleep). I got a lot of crap about that, and told her to tell everyone she did NOT even like me...but she DID like me. I still watched her say that to a few people, that she didn't like me. She later told me that was the hardest thing for her to do--we did wind up in the only relationship I had during high school.

The fact that she felt comfortable enough to fall asleep against me speaks volumes, even if I didn't realize it at the time.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I prefer actions to words. I don't always recognize the significance of some actions though. For example, way back in high school, we were on a school field trip, and the girl sitting next to me fell asleep on my shoulder (I was already asleep). I got a lot of crap about that, and told her to tell everyone she did NOT even like me...but she DID like me. I still watched her say that to a few people, that she didn't like me. She later told me that was the hardest thing for her to do--we did wind up in the only relationship I had during high school.

The fact that she felt comfortable enough to fall asleep against me speaks volumes, even if I didn't realize it at the time.
Yeah you are right. You have to know and understand the person you are dealing with as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
But I am so good with the words!

So, do apologies mean anything then? If words are less important.

Should we stop apologizing and just do better next time?
You can apologize for something, but if you go right back to doing what you were apologizing for, then the apology is worthless.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM

9,631 posts, read 820,138 times
'The shortest answer is doing' Lord Herbert

Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasa View Post
'The shortest answer is doing' Lord Herbert
I like that quote.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
It's sort of society and being nice. Recently saw an Aunt I hadn't seen in five years. Last time I saw her she was 125lbs...Surprise; she was now around 300lbs! What did I say? "Good to see you, you look great!" I'm a very visual and somewhat shallow person, but I flat out lied in the interest of not being rude...

Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 AM

137 posts, read 233,406 times
Actions are wayyyy more important than words. Some people just talk without thinking, others find it easy to say absolutely anything or lie. I can say I love the whole City data forum right now, with no consequence.

But if i were to bake each of you a cookie and send it through mail....that would be some serious effort on my part and I wouldn't even need to say I care. Get my point? :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships