Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here, who is Middle Aged and never had children? Did you face this pain? How did you cope with it? It is scary to grow up and have essentially no family, or people so far away, they become strangers to you. When you past age 40, everyone lives so far away, and people start dying off, it just gets more painful. Does anyone relate to this? I thought dealing with it would get easier as I got older. {was infertile and too sick to have children} instead it got harder. Yes I always have done volunteer work and given to communities I am in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Is there anyone here, who is Middle Aged and never had children? Did you face this pain? How did you cope with it? It is scary to grow up and have essentially no family, or people so far away, they become strangers to you. When you past age 40, everyone lives so far away, and people start dying off, it just gets more painful. Does anyone relate to this? I thought dealing with it would get easier as I got older. {was infertile and too sick to have children} instead it got harder. Yes I always have done volunteer work and given to communities I am in.
I have not been there but have you considered being a foster parent? One of the issues for foster kids is they don't really have family. When they age out of the system, they often feel alone.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have not been there but have you considered being a foster parent? One of the issues for foster kids is they don't really have family. When they age out of the system, they often feel alone.
I have considered it, problem is I dont have required space living in small apt but we "could" empty out one small bedroom. If my health gets better and I can get out more and other things are stablized, I may check into them allowing me to have an older teenager to foster parent but I do not know if they allow disabled people in the system or not. I used to work with violent and troubled teens in my pervious career so that is one thing I would have going for me. I would want less violent of course at home, but that experience could only help me. Im going to check into that. . When I was younger I checked into adoption, thinking my health would improve but it did not.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
You could see it there is a CASA or children in your area. It stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate and it's a way of helping foster kids if you cannot take the into your home. Just google CASA along with you cities name.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Good question. From reading, it seems that your question would apply to people that WANTED children but for some reason could not or did not have children.

I don't think people that did not want children are dealing with any "pain".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post

Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM

295 posts, read 667,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Good question. From reading, it seems that your question would apply to people that WANTED children but for some reason could not or did not have children.

+1

If you are feeling lonely and it's possible to do (with your job and everything), maybe consider moving closer to family....

Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Yeah it is probably for those who wanted children. I know many people are choosing not to have them nowadays.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
+1

If you are feeling lonely and it's possible to do (with your job and everything), maybe consider moving closer to family....
Family is kind of spread out, that is probllem no one place to go. Two relatives are in this huge metro city, but I can't stand big city life.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
You could see it there is a CASA or children in your area. It stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate and it's a way of helping foster kids if you cannot take the into your home. Just google CASA along with you cities name.
Thanks I can consider that for future, health needs to be more stable. But glad to know there are those options out there.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:

Ditto for me also. I am 50 and still ecstatic that I never had children or got preggo by accident. Thank you birth control pills!!!

I have two nieces, a wonderful boyfriend and the love of my dogs and cats. If I had wanted to have kids, I would have adopted or fostered some... but I never did. I actually dislike babies and children very much.

I agree with the suggestions of fostering a child or two.

Mentoring or being a Big Sister are other good options. One of my single friends from my high school mentored a young teen for many years and helped him get into college, complete with a full scholarship.

Adoption is another thought. Since you are already 40, you might want to consider adopting an older child instead of a baby.

But it doesn't sound as if you have a s/o in your life. Can you afford to raise a child or children on your own? If not, mentoring might be your best option.

Or finding a job working with babies and young children.

Have you tried just getting a puppy or dog for companionship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships