Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Even depression, someone who never has it, isn't going to enjoy a relationship too much when they want to travel, go hiking, bicycling and the other can't get out of bed for days. When one person is always happy and in control of their moods, they aren't going to like the gloom that a depressed person is always in.
Exactly. That's why they take meds--to control that and so they can get out of bed and go do something constructive. I don't have problems with depression, but I got very depressed for a few days once when I had to take some steroids for a bad asthma attack which almost killed me. After I went off the steroids I got so depressed I didn't care if I died. I have much more sympathy now for people who are depressed and I no longer have that "just snap out of it" attitude. You don't just snap out of it and you don't see without glasses if you need them. There are so many artificial substances in our environment nowadays that it's a wonder that more people don't have these problems, so you are a very lucky person malamute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Spinx,
There are certain risks you take when dating someone on meds. Meds for simple depression probably shouldn't be an issue....meds for AIDS...definite issue! ...
I'm sorry that ya went through that, and feel even worse for your daughter. Although this is an extreme case, the point you make is painfully clear: Before seriously dating anyone on (or off) meds, get to know them a little first. Some people with these disorders are completely normal when they take the medicine, but as soon as they stop, they can turn into a monster. Sometimes, people feel like they are "cured" after awhile on the meds, and then decide to stop because they have "normalized".

Then, some people have dealt with their sickness for so long that they have found ways around it - manipulation being one of the tools that they use.

The bottom line is this: Make sure you know the person before making a commitment. If their disease isn't manageable - then run! But, if it's something that they can control, and have done so for awhile, then I'd give it a chance.. It just depends on the person. Either way, it does take a little extra work when you're in a relationship with someone who has a disability..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
lol... a lot of dumbass nonsense here.

MOST Americans take meds, for whatever reason. It could be for diabetes, hypertension, mild mental illness, a heart condition, etc. yet these people live normal lives unaffected, for the most part, by their health conditions.

Since meds are often the ONLY means of treating a disease, how does this make somebody weak? Take hypertension. What choice is there? Not take meds, or get a stroke and die.

It's just the ignorance in this thread has made me chuckle.
Read the original post again... we're talking meds for psychological issues...

Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Yeah a few people have expanded the original post to include meds being a deal breaker, period so I'm not surprised that some of us are feeling like samston.

I'd still rather be dealing with someone who takes meds for a psychological/psychiatric illnesses than someone undiagnosed or someone who is diagnosed but does not take their meds.

I'll also add that knowledge is power and in my experience those who know, who seek out information about their illness and learn to live with it are far more switched on and easier to be around than most of the blokes (from my perspective; as in from a dating/relationship purpose that would be who I would be dealing with) I've come across in dating circles who are supposed to be "normal". Most have had some kind of undiagnosed "issue" with alcohol, pot, anger, gambling, rage, control, risk taking behaviours, emotional disturbances and the list goes on.

If I had to choose I'd go with the guy who knows what is wrong with him and takes his meds.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
But therein lies the problem. Until people realize that the brain is a functioning part of the human anatomy like the heart, kidney and liver ignorance of it lives on. My mother takes meds for high blood pressure. if she doesn't take the meds she gets sick and needs to be cared for and could die from it. It's really no different. The problem is people in general and the medical community lump mental disorders in with drug abusers and think treating it with rehab will work. Until such things are not looked upon that way will people have a better undestanding of it.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Unfortunately, many people want so badly to believe that someone they love couldn't turn in to a monster, they fail to research the issue. So many people don't understand that there are mental disorders out there that cause the brain to be unable to process information in a logical fashion. Once a person is "sane" again, on their meds, they can have a difficult time sticking with the regime. The side effects of the meds become overwhelming and they so desperately want to have the energy, imagination and creativity they feel the meds are extinguishing. Something else that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that many of these "brain defects" are inherited. In our case, we've become close with his mother and sister and have found out some family history information. His grandmother was clearly bipolar, although not on medication. His father was institutionalized as a teenager and his mother describes him as being a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Mood swings like none other. He was self medicating with drugs and alcohol and not on any prescription medications. Eventually, he died of liver failure due to his alcoholism around the age of 40. His mother suffers from depression and is on anti-depressants, his sister is (IMHO) bipolar, can't take anti-anxiety medications without going through the roof) She goes through spells where she can't get out of bed for days and then has extended periods of time when she can't sleep, and his older brother is "self-medicating" but appears to suffer from mental issues as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote: Originally Posted by malamute
Even depression, someone who never has it, isn't going to enjoy a relationship too much when they want to travel, go hiking, bicycling and the other can't get out of bed for days. When one person is always happy and in control of their moods, they aren't going to like the gloom that a depressed person is always in.

This is an example of the ignorance people have about this condition or conditions. The same thing posted here can be said about any ailment and think about it - people with heart conditions, what if your own leg was amputated would you appreciate someone viewing you this way. A depressed peron is NOT always in gloom and despair and in beg all day. You might be suprised at the number of well known comedians who suffer from depression and you'd never know it. I this that post of yours was inexcusably ingnorant

Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 AM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
It really depends on the person and how they get along with their meds.

I've known a few that I'd have no clue suffer from some sort of mental illness, except they admit to stories of things they did pre-meds that sound completely out of character today. I have a friend that admits that before she was on anti-depressants she rarely left her bedroom unless it was to get completely smashed. Now she's normal and has a job and family. Meds can really help some people.

However, I've also met a lot of people that get "normaled" enough with meds where you just can't tell that they're crazy/paranoid/downright nasty until they get comfortable around you. The ones that like you fine until they get bored with you, then try to ruin/control your life or steal you blind. And then there are the ones that are endlessly happy, but soulless people. They smile and talk super-happy but otherwise have no distinctive emotions and have a hard time holding a conversation that isn't about bubbles and puppy dogs.

I think the latter two give the first group a bad reputation, but I'd date someone on meds once I got to know them well enough to feel secure that they were in control of themselves. It also depends on the illness. I'd take depression over bi-polar any day.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I'd say if a person is on meds, at least they know they have a problem and are being treated; it's the ones who won't admit or see that they have a problem you have to worry about. There's still a huge stigma when it comes to mental illness, I doubt it'll ever be accepted as an illness like any other. Years ago I would have answered the same as most people but I have seen and been through alot of things that made me re-think my opinions.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
But therein lies the problem. Until people realize that the brain is a functioning part of the human anatomy like the heart, kidney and liver ignorance of it lives on. My mother takes meds for high blood pressure. if she doesn't take the meds she gets sick and needs to be cared for and could die from it. It's really no different.
If you dont take your blood pressure meds correctly it dosent make you agressive, violent, depressed, yell, scream, throw things, talk to invisible beings, paranoid, cry, jealous, anxious, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships