Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,498,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
You're a very private person. That doesn't mean everyone else is as well. Among friends, I think it's okay to dive a little deeper into personal issues, as your friends can offer great (or not so great)advice.
I certainly don't expect people to do as I do. In fact, most I have met don't. I do think we all need someone to confide in and relate to, and that's fine. I'm referring to casual discussion among groups, not one on one with someone you trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
My threshold is very low. I try to keep casual topics limited to what the other person (or people) will find appropriate. I am not necessarily bothered by gossip, politics, raunchiness, or just general freakiness.
I'm the same way. Very open to all kinds of discussion, I'm just not that open about myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But what if someone opens up their personals with you?

I have always had people who disclose their issues to me, because I guess they quickly find that I'm trustworthy from my behaviour and words

Even two days ago, a person I barely knew at the gym disclosed her divorce issues, and the whole wrangling with cheating and money, in just the second conversation.

There's no denying that I am a good motivational speaker. But there are times when people want someone to "listen".
I'm open to listening and a great motivator as well. I'm just a better confidante than I am a confider. Is "confider" even a word?

I've known too many people who will put your business out there, especially when you are going through a rough patch. People form judgments and before you know it, the truth takes on another form and life of its own. I don't trust people, in general, to think outside of their box, to be deep, rational thinkers. And I don't have the desire to get them to see things from where I stand instead of where they stand. This explains why we only have a handful of real friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM

295 posts, read 835,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I certainly don't expect people to do as I do. In fact, most I have met don't. I do think we all need someone to confide in and relate to, and that's fine. I'm referring to casual discussion among groups, not one on one with someone you trust.
Ah....I see. My mistake.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM

12,891 posts, read 13,564,066 times
I too think the big three are Religion, Politics and Money. Sexual innuendo when done in humor and not focused on a particular person is okay but the same humor won't work in all situations. I don't think anybody is really interested in anybodies personal life. Once I get past a person's status, i.e. Married , three kids, two dogs, I start to drift off. I have always heard that being able to make light conversation is a skill and every one is not necessarily good at it.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,623,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm a crappy listener (I swear I'm working on it!), I wish people would confide in me...should I consider that a blessing
Yes and no. Sometimes in the midst of the earful, you just wanna run away. But the act of being nice does not permit that

There was a lady who held me up for 40 minutes. I survived it. But I also became what she later called an "angel"

Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,398,436 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Sometimes in the midst of the earful, you just wanna run away. But the act of being nice does not permit that

There was a lady who held me up for 40 minutes. I survived it. But I also became what she later called an "angel"
In reality I should be a good listener, I care about people more than I probably should...but, alas, it is one of my weaknesses.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,433,131 times
Quote:
Pffft, try lack thereof.
I never discuss MAthe Bankers lack of a sex life!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
In reality I should be a good listener, I care about people more than I probably should...but, alas, it is one of my weaknesses.
Hold on, if it's a 45 year oldie, confiding in you, he'll hit on you in the process

It does come with disadvantages.

The women on the other hand are more gracious in this aspect. They quickly check on my age and they're like 'ah, i can be your mom'

Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,398,436 times
Quote:
Hold on, if it's a 45 year oldie, confiding in you, he'll hit on you in the process

It does come with disadvantages.

The women on the other hand are more gracious in this aspect. They quickly check on my age and they're like 'ah, i can be your mom'
Funny you mention that, I ONLY get 45 year-olds who hit on me...and ones named Capt. Dan...

I guess it's ok sometimes to not have people confide in you, you're sometimes dragged into the drama and that I'm not OK with...

Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Funny you mention that, I ONLY get 45 year-olds who hit on me...and ones named Capt. Dan...

I guess it's ok sometimes to not have people confide in you, you're sometimes dragged into the drama and that I'm not OK with...
Why am I not surprised

Some girls I know presented me a post-mid-life crisis thesis on why men their 40s behave so. I had a good laugh at it, but as I moved around and about, with coworkers in that age group, I just saw it in the flesh, first hand witness.

As we move in a posse, it's these guys who make the first sexist comment on every woman who passes by in the corridor, the restaurants and the coffee shops In my previous job, one guy I know always used the thumb to signal thumbs up and thumbs down at every young female who passed by us.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,621,385 times
Quote:
Why am I not surprised

Some girls I know presented me a post-mid-life crisis thesis on why men their 40s behave so. I had a good laugh at it, but as I moved around and about, with coworkers in that age group, I just saw it in the flesh, first hand witness.

As we move in a posse, it's these guys who make the first sexist comment on every woman who passes by in the corridor, the restaurants and the coffee shops In my previous job, one guy I know always used the thumb to signal thumbs up and thumbs down at every young female who passed by us.
Seriously..

I thought my crowd of 20-somethings was raunchy until getting out into the working world.. married guys in their 40's have some of the dirtiest minds out there, and they aren't afraid to tell the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships