Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

If I were unemployed and living at my parents' house, I would not be online looking for a boyfriend, not even if I was on an already paid subscription to the site. I would not be actively looking for a boyfriend until I got my life in order.

So what about the fact that this 44 year old man has no job at all? Does he think that he's too good to work at Starbucks? Is working at a Burger King beneath him? There are plenty of jobs around, just not the well paying ones. But any money in is a positive cash flow imo.

And... if he thinks that he is above working a minimum wage job, then it's perfectly fine for Woof and myself to think ourselves above dating an unemployed man that would be homeless but for the luck of having his family to stay with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 AM

382 posts, read 758,203 times
No, people that are broke or unemployed shoud not date. People don't like to talk about this but money plays a HUGE part un relationships.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
A man should be able to show he has some sort of "provider" potential, and being unemployed, broke, and living with your parents at the age of 44 doesn't exactly instill confidence in a woman. For those women who provide for themselves, why would she want the burden of having to provide for a man? For those women who aren't providing for themselves, why would they seek a man who can't provide...zero plus zero = zero. You have to be practical when dating, because at some point in a relationship, finances will come into play, and can add additional stress on a relationship.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

So what about the fact that this 44 year old man has no job at all? Does he think that he's too good to work at Starbucks? Is working at a Burger King beneath him? There are plenty of jobs around, just not the well paying ones. But any money in is a positive cash flow imo.
Then many females would ridicule him for working in a Starbucks or Burger King which they'll deem "not good enough for me" in a matter of speaking.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Then many females would ridicule him for working in a Starbucks or Burger King which they'll deem "not good enough for me" in a matter of speaking.
making lots of money wont save you, they will ridicule you anyway, starbucks just makes it easier for them to make you serve them coffee.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Not if he can't find better work in this recession. And better than sitting inside his parents' house doing nothing except surf the internet. And better than not working at all and only being able to afford to take a date to a coffee shop.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 AM

382 posts, read 758,203 times
Quote:
Not if he can't find better work in this recession. And better than sitting inside his parents' house doing nothing except surf the internet. And better than not working at all and only being able to afford to take a date to a coffee shop.
That sounds cool in theory but most (all?) women would look down on man with a job like that, even if their own jobs were not much better paid.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
You are right. People would think he was slow or something because he is in retail..Like every person has to be a professional or there is something WRONG with them.

Besides, no, there are NOT tons of jobs everywhere...even retail jobs are hard to find 'in this economy.'

Money and power are nice but sometimes you have to fall before you find yourself.

A great book to read on this topic is How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates. The guy had it all (money and an awesome job) but lost it all...and wound up working at Starbucks in NYC.

And as far as the OP's 'rejected man' was there a timeline given? Did he just lose his job or has it been months or years? How do we know all the guy does all day is surf the web?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
The problem in this economy is some real smart and hard working people are just not going to find work until the economy turns it self a round. the thing is, its hard to tell who's not trying and who's unlucky.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Assumptions running rampant. Aren't you aware that Starbucks has closed down a huge number of their outlets, that CEOs who've applied for menial jobs are still looking, that in some areas of the US there simply are no jobs to be found? And how the heck do you know that this particular man is doing nothing but sitting inside his parents' house surfing the internet?

I don't give a rat's patootie (and I have a very nice pet rat ) whether Woof wanted to go out with him or not, I'm just giving a rat's patootie about so many self-righteous contributors feeding this man to the wolves when they know nothing at all about his circumstances or situation other than that little snippet posted.

If this thread hasn't already run to the max I have, so off to get on with my working day ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships