Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the answer is mostly NO ... but there are exceptions.

If the man is not only unemployed but broke as well (yes it is possible to be unemployed but not broke as well as fully employed and broke) I think he should not be going out looking for someone to date. Dating requires, in my view, money. What kind of "catch" is a man with no job and no money. Get at least one or the other, preferable both and then resume your dating lifestyle.

If you're unemployed and broke I think you should not be hanging out in bars or clubs looking to find dates. It's expensive. You will experience a lot of rejection ... unless you lie about your situation, and I'm totally against dishonesty.

If a man is laid off his job and money is limited and tight that does not mean his social life must come to a screeching halt. If this hypothetical guy was a member of a club - say a photography club - he should go to the meetings and be friendly and open to anyone in the club who might want to date him. He should make it clear, however, of what predicament he is in ... perfectly clear. In other words, if someone wants to date him, let him be honest about the situation. There is no shame in saying "Look, I was recently laid off my job. I am job hunting and hope I'll be employed soon. Money is little tight, but maybe we can go to the movies and we'll pay our own way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
I think broke men should be the only ones getting married! The key to success in marriage is to have the LEAST to lose. You don't have to be broke. Just make and save less than your wife, and everything will be alright. How come women don't flock to that? Hypocrites.

My exgf couldn't hold a job to save her life. All day and night it was dreams and talk about 'how I'll overcome, and I'll fulfill my dreams, and I'll go to college, and I'll eventually set up my photography business' on and on and on..spinning her wheels not getting any closer to anything. Living at home, paying no rent, scraping by while I did all the driving, outings, food and entertainment and lodging (since I couldn't f$5ck her at home either, that would be crass). I don't see anybody raising an eyebrow to her broke a$$ dating, but the second a guy wants to have human contact without steady income it's blasphemy. Repulsive double standards. Classic gender roles died with women's entrance into the labor force and dual income households, so women should let go of that "the man is supposed to" normative garbage.

You know what, I think I've finally figured it out. I'm gonna demand the same way women demand. I hereby declare that from here on out I refuse to marry someone who makes less than me. I'm gonna start demanding like a woman. And since I don't have menopause to contend with, my calendar says I can afford to wait this little gem out.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I think broke men should be the only ones getting married! The key to success in marriage is to have the LEAST to lose. You don't have to be broke. Just make and save less than your wife, and everything will be alright. How come women don't flock to that? Hypocrites.

My exgf couldn't hold a job to save her life. All day and night it was dreams and talk about 'how I'll overcome, and I'll fulfill my dreams, and I'll go to college, and I'll eventually set up my photography business' on and on and on..spinning her wheels not getting any closer to anything. Living at home, paying no rent, scraping by while I did all the driving, outings, food and entertainment and lodging (since I couldn't f$5ck her at home either, that would be crass). I don't see anybody raising an eyebrow to her broke a$$ dating, but the second a guy wants to have human contact without steady income it's blasphemy. Repulsive double standards. Classic gender roles died with women's entrance into the labor force and dual income households, so women should let go of that "the man is supposed to" normative garbage.

You know what, I think I've finally figured it out. I'm gonna demand the same way women demand. I hereby declare that from here on out I refuse to marry someone who makes less than me. I'm gonna start demanding like a woman. And since I don't have menopause to contend with, my calendar says I can afford to wait this little gem out.

Sheesh. What a mangina.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Sheesh. What a mangina.
You;re right, my vagina hurts sooo much with all this economic and personal freedom to pursue and say what I feel like and to enjoy the fruits of my own dignified labor. It's suuuuch a prison, this assertive freedom I possess, I'm such a mangina, oh please any woman please shackle me, I want to be happy just like the rest of the house slaves, paying for your almighty companionship. Yes, I want to pay your way, oh please please give me a chance.... LOL

Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
you;re right, my vagina hurts sooo much with all this economic and personal freedom to pursue and say what i feel like and to enjoy the fruits of my own dignified labor. It's suuuuch a prison, this assertive freedom i possess, i'm such a mangina, oh please any woman please shackle me, i want to be happy just like the rest of the house slaves, paying for your almighty companionship. Yes, i want to pay your way, oh please please give me a chance.... Lol :d
lmao!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I just want to know View Post
Why does a woman have to be desparate because she is using the internet to date?
They aren't. Internet dating is quickly become less taboo with each year that passes. It will be mainstream accepted in another 10-20 years maximum.

I know TONS of people who found awesome wives/husbands via internet dating websites. It's the way of the future.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
to k374~

This is NOT about money or about the heart. Love is never enough, however idealistic you find the idea to be.

If I can provide myself with a home and a means, then certainly I do want a man who can at least do the same for himself. Men who are directive and responsible for themselves can also give me their heart. Why on earth would I consciously choose to date a man who is in that type of position? I am not saying his heart is unworthy, but his conditions are not conducive to building a relationship.

I am not going to be a grown man's mommy.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
to k374~

This is NOT about money or about the heart. Love is never enough, however idealistic you find the idea to be.

If I can provide myself with a home and a means, then certainly I do want a man who can at least do the same for himself. Men who are directive and responsible for themselves can also give me their heart. Why on earth would I consciously choose to date a man who is in that type of position? I am not saying his heart is unworthy, but his conditions are not conducive to building a relationship.

I am not going to be a grown man's mommy.
Therefore broke and unemployed men shouldn't be dating, right? Interesting how men normally wouldn't care to date a girl who doesn't have a car, degrees, lives with the parents, etc. If she's attractive to his eyes and fun to be with, she's good to go .

Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Last I heard, Olive Garden doesn't take food stamps!

P.S. While skimming over this thread I came to this realization:

Too many people have too much time on their hands!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Men and women are different. We just are. We give differently, depending on our abilities and strengths.
The more traditional of us tend to believe we should work and provide for ourselves, not sit around and feel "entitled" to support from anyone else.

I personally have much to bring to someone's table, I expect the same or more in return.

Maybe what we are splitting hairs on here is the type of dating considered.
If all I wanted was a casual fling, who cares?
If i want a real relationship to carry into my future, these thigs DO matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships