Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,725,412 times

Advertisements

What besides coffee can you do for no more than an hour? Dinner..no. That's too date like. Lunch..maybe. Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,517,749 times
I usually meet for a lite lunch, late enough to where there aren't that many people so we can have a little more privacy. I don't drink coffee, but that's a good idea as well. Some place public for sure.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,154,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I usually meet for a lite lunch, late enough to where there aren't that many people so we can have a little more privacy. I don't drink coffee, but that's a good idea as well. Some place public for sure.
I've done coffee or drink at like a patio bar or something.

As a man, asking a girl on a first meeting is almost like date .5, not the 1st actual date. So it's best to keep it somewhere public, not intense, low key, not bound by time dedication, and cheap.

Why should someone spend a lot of money meeting someone for the first time? Also, if it doesn't go well, you and her want to feel like you can leave at any time. Public is for her safety.

I usually worry more about what to do on the second or third date. That's where I feel like I need to be creative and separate myself from the others who have dated her by doing something fun.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,623,536 times
I agree with PasstheChocolate, whenI was single, the first couple of meetings were something very light, like a lunch meeting or at a local tea/coffee shop. No sense in doing anything more involved until you decide you actually like the person.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,889,547 times
I've never done the internet dating thing (met ex online but he lived overseas), but it seems like it would be better to go for coffee, and have an option with a park nearby to go for a walk or something. Still with people around of course, but more private and not rushed. I like to approach things on more of a casual basis than sitting and staring at each other for an hour.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,154,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I agree with PasstheChocolate, whenI was single, the first couple of meetings were something very light, like a lunch meeting or at a local tea/coffee shop. No sense in doing anything more involved until you decide you actually like the person.
Stay away from lunch. Women will say it's an okay idea, but it's friend territory. It's too "nice guy"-ish. Just do coffee or drink.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times
Y'all are gonna freak out on this one.

There I was, in a new city with a new job....etc......

.....and I found myself browsing through the personal ads. I didn't know a soul here in Phoenix, and the bar scene was getting old quick.

First date via the internet?

She invited me to her house.

I certainly had a WONDERFUL time, but evidently she didn't. I spent the night, left in the morning, and never heard from her again.

Second date via the internet?

I showed up with flowers, beer, wine, and a frozen pizza.

We had a wonderful time, and I spent the night.

We've been married now for 4 1/2 years.....

I burned the pizza.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,376,587 times
with my husband (we met online 10 years ago), we met at a TGIFridays for drinks and decided that if there was a mutual attraction/connection then we could take it to the next step...appetizers and dinner.

ETA: we also set it up during the week so we both had an easy out "I better get going! I have to be up early for work tomorrow." Fortunately neither one of us needed to resort to that excuse.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 08-28-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
A drink after work or lunch. Tried many things and those seem to work the best. First dates are a get to know you process and shouldnt be more than an hour or it tends to get awkward.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,623,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Y'all are gonna freak out on this one.

There I was, in a new city with a new job....etc......

.....and I found myself browsing through the personal ads. I didn't know a soul here in Phoenix, and the bar scene was getting old quick.

First date via the internet?

I certainly had a WONDERFUL time, but evidently she didn't. I spent the night, left in the morning, and never heard from her again.

Second date via the internet?

I showed up with flowers, beer, wine, and a frozen pizza.

We had a wonderful time, and I spent the night.

We've been married now for 4 1/2 years.....

I burned the pizza.

You pizza-burner you! LOL Good job!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships