Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,006,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My husband is British born and MUCH nicer than many American men. He not obsessed with sports, he likes spending time with family (we are his #1 priority), and he is a good dad. He also helps around the house.

This is not to insult American men but NOT EVERY FOREIGN MAN is some mud hut dwelling caveman.
It sounds like you've gotten what you've wanted, and miu knows what she wants. I really do wish more women were as on top of things as you two.

On the other hand, I don't think that miu was making a general statement about ALL foreign born men. Some cultures, to be sure, view the "place" of men and women different than those in the US do, and like miu, I would avoid this completely. Love is not enough when you have to sacrifice what you believe in order to achieve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Well, there are two schools of thought on this: Yes and No.

There's the Love Conquers All school of thought, where if two people love one another, enough magical pixie dust will get sprinkled around that any obstacle can be overcome.

While it's nice to believe that, experience also shows us that people from different cultures bring with them entirely different values and expectations into a romance.

To really survive, all love cools from that initial stage of cooing over each other 24/7, transmuting into something more sustainable over the long haul. For long-term relationships are also long-term partnerships, which means both partners must have values that are in sync with one another. Do you and your partner have the same attitudes towards handling money and work? Do you and your partner share the same beliefs when it comes to raising children or religious faith? Do you and your partner have the same mentality when it comes to how your relationship should work on an everyday basis?

Suddenly, that's when the Disney movie belief system of Happily Ever After tends to give way to the reality of things. After all, what happens when a liberated American gal meets a traditional Saudi man (Not as an extreme case as you would think, because I know one couple like this)? What does she give up from her belief system? And what does he sacrifice from his? Because you are faced with two utterly different cultures in action, cultures where belief systems don't merely have to accommodate one another, but actually clash outright.

Am I saying it wouldn't work? Absolutely not. What I'm saying is that mere attraction to one another will not suffice to nurture a long-term relationship. Beliefs have to be shared and, when they don't agree, compromises must be struck and adhered to religiously. Anybody who goes into a relationship thinking otherwise is naive and will only learn harsh lessons as the relationship withers and fails.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:
My husband is British born and MUCH nicer than many American men. He not obsessed with sports, he likes spending time with family (we are his #1 priority), and he is a good dad. He also helps around the house.

This is not to insult American men but NOT EVERY FOREIGN MAN is some mud hut dwelling caveman.
I might consider dating a Brit, as Colin Firth and Sean Bean have long been heart throbs of mine, and I grew up with watching Masterpiece Theatre and other BBC productions. I am definitely an Anglophile. However, I am very keen to spend my whole life in the US. I don't want to move another country to grow old. And I would also not want to have to make my foreign born s/o have to choose to live here with me and abandon his family and roots back home. So that's why I feel that it's more practical for me to stay with only American born men.

In addition, while in Paris one visit, I met and talked with several older American and Brit women who had found love in France when they were young and married... only to be dumped by their French husbands for younger women. Meanwhile, while they were in France, they lost touch with their American friends, their family members had died or moved out of touch, and all didn't have any savings with which to return to the US with and start over. In other words, these poor women felt very isolated and trapped in Paris with no way to return back to the US.

So I am looking out for myself and my own best interests in terms of my decision to stick with dating American men. I am also a woman that doesn't date frivolously. I only date men that I think I could become serious about. I have never been one to date for curiousity's sake.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:13 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,241 times
Quote:

Nice!! yes, I really have always liked the British too. Canadians are like the British also: polite, civilized and they are just so nice

Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,170,515 times
So, there you go Alive and Well - get out there and fill up that little black book like the roll call at the United Nations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships