Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
So just because a man cheated on you, men are not capable of being monagamous?

Well then what's a woman's excuse when she cheats?
Sorry, but I think the point of Pam's post flew right over your head...

She's saying that by their very nature that men have an URGE to look elsewhere and a tendency to WANT to stray... Her point was that it's ultimately the man's quality of character that overcomes this, not that men are incapable of being faithful..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafinez View Post
Humans are not monogamous by nature, both male and female. But I'm sick of hearing the 'it's in our genes' arguement. People weren't naturally meant to use PC's, live in apartments etc. Guess what, we evolve! We do have impulses (the impulse to run out of the room in the middle of a meeting when you become anxious, the impulse to drop your pants in the middle of the street when you feel like you can't make it to the next toilet, the impulse to have sex with any 'useable' person in sight and more.). We've learned to feel and ignore these impulses most of the times. I don't buy the 'it's in my genes to screw every woman i run across' for a second. That impulse can be easily ignored if you want to. It's just that some people don't want to. It's more a 'hey, this looks like a very good opportunity for some fun, should I really pass it up?' type of thing.
I think it's (some won't like this) a sign of the deterioration of our culture and our moral fiber. I know we have a few atheists here and this isn't meant to discount them, BUT... With the deterioration and backlash against religion has come a massive loosening of the moral fabric of society.

My opinion on whether that is a good thing or not is another story (This coming from a "lost soul", "Non-practicing" Catholic). It's a bit of both... With regard to cheating, what has occured is that it's become TOO common place and TOO forgiveable in our society... We've turned over a new-leaf into a more selfish society where many feel that they have the right to "make themselves happy" regardless of what vows they may have taken, or how it might ultimately affect other people.

I compare it a lot to how (again, this is my opinion) an over-diagnosis of "alcoholism" has, in effect, excused the behavior of millions of people who irresponsibly drink too much. I forget where I heard it, but somewhere I read that alcoholism is the ONLY disease that is brought about by a CONSCIOUS CHOICE (whether to take that drink or not)... But I digress.

So anyway, we live in a society where the negative impact of our poor choices are less-and-less "our fault" and it makes it easier to ignore our better judgement in lieu of the "more fun/more selfish" option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafinez
Fidelity means that, while you know you have other options and are attracted to other people (this will never ever change) you consciously choose one person, over and over.
It's what all married couples should strive to do!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM

652 posts, read 1,275,616 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Well, I'm not a man but I disagree. I think men mostly use the sex thing as an excuse and women believe it because we want to think if we are sex maniacs the guy will stick around. If a man wants to stray, he will stray, period. Good sex, bad sex, standing on your head sex, sex Friday, sex Tuesday, whatever. The point is, some guys cannot (or will not) be faithful.

Recently Cindy Crawford posed nude for a magazine and gave all these steamy details about how her and her hubby keep sex interesting. Well, a month later it came out that some women were filing charges against him for sexual harassment. And supposedly he has cheated on her throughout their relationship and is well known to everyone but her for being a sleazeball. This is Cindy Crawford. Most men would give one of their testicles for her. If she is bending over backward to keep her man happy and he is still cheating on her, then what does that say about this whole "good sex" theory?

Maybe she didn't give him good good sex.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Maybe she didn't give him good good sex.
Obviously it was better for her than it was for him....

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
men are less likely to stray if there is any sex.
food helps too. feed that dog and he will stop digging in the trash.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM

And hey..... Honestly? For men the end result of intercourse is more or less the same, so it's more about the journey I guess...... I mean I think a woman would have to try really hard to make it be bad..

(Or not try as the case may be and just lie there and be a boring dud, and then again..... That could be as much the man's fault for sucking at it as it is the woman's for not responding positively.... Ya know? This crap is too complicated. Can't all of you women just be "Ride 'em cowboy, rodeo, wild-sex, loud and crazy??? It would make this all a lot simpler. There, I think I'm done...).

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I read that alcoholism is the ONLY disease that is brought about by a CONSCIOUS CHOICE (whether to take that drink or not)...
Don't forget sex with hookers. That's a conscious choice....and well.......

Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Don't forget sex with hookers. That's a conscious choice....and well.......
Do they have a name for that disease yet? Last I heard 'Horny' was still just a "condition"...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Ok Rhett...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler
I read that alcoholism is the ONLY disease that is brought about by a CONSCIOUS CHOICE (whether to take that drink or not)...

Disease brought about by a conscious choice....... Warts, herpes, VD, Gono, syph, HIV.... Stay away from the hookers now Rhett, stay away.....

Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Ok Rhett...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler

Disease brought about by a conscious choice....... Warts, herpes, VD, Gono, syph, HIV.... Stay away from the hookers now Rhett, stay away.....
I know, I got ya the first time.... SHEESH!!!

(BTW, you know VD is all of those other things, right? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships