U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Ep-

2,058 posts, read 3,235,660 times

Advertisements

I used to game a lot myself. As I get older I have less time for them and find myself doing other things. I still probably put in around 5 hours a week. If a new game that I've been looking forward to comes out I may squeeze in a few more.

I've never run into a woman that has a problem with this. It's a hobby of mine and if someone wants to come over or go out and do something I turn off the game if I happen to be playing. Any hobby can be seen as a bad thing if not done in moderation. Not all activities have to have some great educational and life building value behind doing them. Sometimes it's good to just do something because it's fun.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 AM

137 posts, read 184,843 times
As the above poster said, after a long work day, sometimes you just want to have fun and play around. It's enough that you get to be a stressed out responsible adult most of the day. You sometimes just feel the need to break from that, play and relax.

I've loved video games ever since I can remember. My husband on the other hand thinks they are a horrible waste of time.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,542,015 times
I may be alone in the corner here, because I play along side the DH.

As long as you still make time to do responsible things and nothing suffers from it, I personally see no harm in it.

DH works as a help desk manager for a small server company. His boss owns 4 companies and DH finds himself fixing everything from all sides of the joint companies. He as an hour and a half drive each way, five days a week. He's in an online university to get his BA in business, we've owned our own business before, and we have no children.

We were gamers before we met, started gaming after we met together, and now we do the online couple thing and game just together. We often duel for dishes to decide who's night it is to wash.

We make time for ourselves, we spend time outside doing things, and often we leave the games for stretches, 8 months was the last stretch we just had, but picked it back up a few days ago. I usually get tired of it first and leave, and DH follows suit rather quickly. It used to be a problem when we were addicted, but now that we are both in school, and I'm trying to find work, we stay rather busy.

It is immature to a point to play these games, but its cheaper than blowing a hundred dollars we don't have to go out for one night of dinner and entertainment. We enjoy kicking each other's asses in the game, and we're always in competition. We get to drag kids around the game and help them out, it sort of fills that "not having kids" emptiness we have, and it helps us relax some times. We once had a guild of all married couples in our mid thirties that logged in each weekend, and that was our little social group for a while.

But as we get older, I'm sure something else will take its place, it just depends on what interests us at the time.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 AM

9,365 posts, read 16,035,748 times
It's like any other vice that eats up too much of your time. If you are playing video games for hours on end that's probably too much. But the same can be said of someone who sits on the internet all night after work or watches TV all night after work. All of these things are just distractions from boredom. In moderation it's all harmless, but if it is consuming your life, or you are not paying attention to your job, school work, or family as a result, then it's a problem. I was never into video games, so for me it's childish of a grown man over 25 to be sitting around for hours on a Playstation or online gaming. Unless you're playing with your kids, but even then, all night and every day is too much.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 AM

2,002 posts, read 3,702,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So...I notice that the vast majority of my guy friends that are my age (20's-early 30s) are still playing video games on a regular basis. Most of them just come home from work and hit the XBOX or ps3. I cant stand the things. They bore me to no end, and I'd rather be out doing things in life. Anyways....what do women think about men that play video games? Since a good portion of my friends that are video game addicts are married I'm assuming that most women don't mind??
I can play with DH for hours (Go CoD5, Gears and L4D!! LOL). Now classes started, but we played a lot during the summer

But I've heard my (girl)friends complaining for that more than once. Actually one of the couples we know is having problems because of him playing. So, I guess you'll be able to find several non-playing girls

Anyway, I'm surprised of that idea of people being immature, irresponsible or even unable to complete daily tasks because of gaming. It's just a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafinez View Post
As the above poster said, after a long work day, sometimes you just want to have fun and play around. It's enough that you get to be a stressed out responsible adult most of the day. You sometimes just feel the need to break from that, play and relax.

I've loved video games ever since I can remember.
I absolutely agree

Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,314,060 times
It's something I do, but not enough to consider it a hobby. I probably play it, on average, 3-5hrs a week, most of the times on Friday when I get home from work, as a de-stressing agent.

If I told a girl that, and she found me a loser, she can keep walking.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,454,381 times
Can we start a thread called "Men, what do you think about women who watch hours and hours of mindless reality television"? or "Men, why do women like such bad music"?

Jeez... so long as you don't neglect your S.O. or life responsibilities for gaming or any other hobby who cares? The second a woman puts me down for something I like to do (golf, gaming, guitar, working out) is the day I say SEE YA!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM

28,908 posts, read 40,908,676 times
Women? Hell, men.

As somebody who had game addicted friends, I can tell you that the habitual video game player in his 20s/30s is somebody in desperate need of a life. They are perpetual teenagers who basically while away their time staring at a video screen all night (By the way, I have the same attitude about people of both genders who watch 3 hours of television a night, no matter what's on).

Don't get me wrong. I like to play. As in occasionally. As in with my son maybe an hour a month when we don't have something else going on. But these guys who do it every possible second are going to have very unfulfilled lives (Read "Loser").

In short, detach yourself from the computer. Turn off the XBox and get a real hobby, one that engages your mind rather than your thumbs. After all, life is a banquet, you're choosing to starve to death.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,276,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

As somebody who had game addicted friends, I can tell you that the habitual video game player in his 20s/30s is somebody in desperate need of a life.
Well then it's their life and not yours being affected, I say let them be IMO.

If they need to adjust their lives, they'll do it themselves when the need arises that they have a real other want from life.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,276,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Can we start a thread called "Men, what do you think about women who watch hours and hours of mindless reality television"? or "Men, why do women like such bad music"?

Jeez... so long as you don't neglect your S.O. or life responsibilities for gaming or any other hobby who cares? The second a woman puts me down for something I like to do (golf, gaming, guitar, working out) is the day I say SEE YA!
Not personal just making a point here:

No NO NOOO You have it all wrong!!

Men = Bad and everything about them other than $$$ they can provide.
Everyone else = Good and can do No wrong! Haven't you heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships