U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,351,455 times
Reputation: 3955

Advertisements

Personally I don't find it a big deal. I have a friend, who when he comes home from work, he'll head straight to the XBox. He plays for about 45 minutes to an hour, and then he's done. It's his way of unwinding and getting rid of the stress of work. I find that he's less agitated and more relaxed when he's done, which means he's more likely to have a productive evening getting work done, making dinner, cleaning, etc. I have my own version of "unwinding" when I get home from work, but that's a topic for another thread

Obviously if it's an addiction, that's a problem.

If he's on it a few hours a week, but still has a life and gets things done, then it's not a bad thing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
 
Location: southern california
53,358 posts, read 66,207,079 times
Reputation: 44922
he is not orbiting around her, she does not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
 
6,540 posts, read 11,793,805 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would find that to be a very unattractive hobby. Thumbs down for me too.
Well, that's because you've never seen me play video games naked...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,389 posts, read 2,861,907 times
Reputation: 692
I find irony in seeing someone with 9000+ posts on this forum think that a man who plays video games for more than an hour or two a week is a loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
 
2,002 posts, read 3,702,018 times
Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
My belief is that as long as you meet all your responsibilities whatever you want to do in your spare time is your business.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post


What's immature is the fact that people just blatantly think everyone who plays video games are irresponsible and immature people.
Can't rep you again LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he is not orbiting around her, she does not like it.
yep yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I find irony in seeing someone with 9000+ posts on this forum think that a man who plays video games for more than an hour or two a week is a loser.
"touche"! http://www.frogueros.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,275,932 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he is not orbiting around her, she does not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 5,425,202 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Personally I don't find it a big deal. I have a friend, who when he comes home from work, he'll head straight to the XBox. He plays for about 45 minutes to an hour, and then he's done. It's his way of unwinding and getting rid of the stress of work. I find that he's less agitated and more relaxed when he's done, which means he's more likely to have a productive evening getting work done, making dinner, cleaning, etc. I have my own version of "unwinding" when I get home from work, but that's a topic for another thread

Obviously if it's an addiction, that's a problem.

If he's on it a few hours a week, but still has a life and gets things done, then it's not a bad thing at all.
Wow this actually sounds like me...I play when I get home from work for about an hour or so and then move on to other things. I do get home around 3:30PM so I have plenty of time to do whatever I need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 7,351,455 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Wow this actually sounds like me...I play when I get home from work for about an hour or so and then move on to other things. I do get home around 3:30PM so I have plenty of time to do whatever I need
See? You are still productive despite the fact that you are a gamer.

I don't think girls are so innocent on this issue, either. If you have a girl who spends an ENTIRE Saturday out shopping, getting her hair done, getting her nails done, etc, wouldn't that be the same type of concept? From a guy's viewpoint, that is wasted time, just how girls think video games are wasted time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
 
20,180 posts, read 21,985,837 times
Reputation: 13407
Strange thread. Some claim that video games are immature, because they're a waste of time.

Seems like a philosophical issue to me. What is not considered to be a "waste of time"? Shopping? Kayaking? Drinking beer on the beach? Watching football? Sitting in your cubicle, earning wages? Sitting in traffic?

I take the view that since we're all going to die one day, it is all a big waste of time, so you'd better do what it is you enjoy. There is nothing inherently immature about that. "Immature" in this case is denying yourself what you enjoy, because someone else is trying to make you feel insecure about it.

Last edited by le roi; 09-01-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,365 posts, read 16,033,114 times
Reputation: 18183
You can replace video games with almost any activity...web surfing, television, golf, etc. But what makes the difference is quality of life and how you balance your time. If you have a family and you are spending five hours a night playing World of Warcraft alone on the computer, I can see where this can be an issue. Pay some more attention to your kids or get out of the house and talk a walk or something. There is a fine line between a healthy obsession and an addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top