Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil1 View Post
If I had any say in it Id say dump them as soon as you find out. Video game players are not playing in the real world. Sorry if this hurts your feelings. Its completely true, if I ever date again, Im putting "Please do not apply if you know what a mmo is" on my criteria.

And oh if you want to argue with me I have a level 80 warlock and priest with full pvp and t8.5 for sale. Yes I know of which I speak.
You're a hypocrite then and shouldnt be leaving the house, let alone dating people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
Ok, apparently there's still a HUGE misconception among most of the posters here.

This stereotype of gamers being antisocial and out of touch is just FALSE.

I'm a lifelong gamer, but I have a life outside of games, as do the MAJORITY of gamers.

Yeah, I won't deny that there are those individuals who only reinforce the stigma that gamers have no life, are irresponsible and live in their mom's basement, but the fact is that people of ALL ages, races, genders, social classes and so forth, PLAY VIDEO GAMES.

I'm a senior in college and I'm about to graduate with a degree in Mass Communication with an emphasis in journalism. I have a job and I write for the school paper which is basically an unpaid job in itself. I'm an Eagle Scout and I'm not without loads of great friends.

I'm not the minority here, either. It's so irritating when I see so many people with this preconceived notion that if you play video games then you're without a life. The fact is, it's just not true.

If gamers have no life, then I guess the same could be said for people who watch movies, television, read books and listen to music.

All it is, is another form of entertainment. I hope some of you can realize this.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 PM

19 posts, read 46,738 times
good thing my husband got me into Wow then so I could realize I ve wasted so many years of my life huh? Oh and a toon with that much gear takes at least an 4 hours a day 6 - 7 days a week. Anyone remember Sunwell? Its all true... Anti social people and all.. Finally Im leaving!!! headed for the gym instead of WOW. I'd like to see my loving children instead of 20 year old boys. I did log in to say goodbye to a friend who deserved at least that... He did not seem to care, and Im ok with that, it was just a video game.

Last edited by asil1; 09-01-2009 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: I do not know what to say ... ranting

Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:
good thing my husband got me into Wow then so I could realize I ve wasted so many years of my life huh?
Its not anyone's fault but your own if you feel you've wasted years of your life. Always searching for that pot of gold over the rainbow just to realize it never existed to begin with. That, or you were always chasing the wrong thing.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times
How is playing a video game any different than watching a movie, playing cards, go shopping or getting a spa day, watching a sports game, ect.?

I do agree if a guy plays it way too much, it's a problem. However, that's a small portion of the gamers.

It's a way for us guys to unwind, have some time to ourselves (unless your spouse enjoys to play), talk with buddies by playing on-line, and just have our fun. Isn't it better than having your guy going out to the bar (and cheaper)?

The other nice thing about the current systems is they are multi-media platforms. That alone pays for itself.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
How is playing a video game any different than watching a movie, playing cards, go shopping or getting a spa day, watching a sports game, ect.?
It's not. And you can do any of those excessively too.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Today I took a two hour 16 mile mountain bike ride. Something that didn't require a lot of brain power to accomplish. Probably much less than a video game. Under the guidelines of some of these women that would surely be an immature activity. Riding a bike and all. Only little kids do that right?

One of the undeniable truths about women is that they are both insecure and must exist in a state of drama. A man engaged in any hobby is bad in their mind as he is neither 1. earning money so the woman can spend money shopping and doing their own hobbies or 2. devoting his spare time to give 100% attention to the woman.

Video games have been shown to be an excellent outlet for stress and also good for brain development and health.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post

I do agree if a guy plays it way too much, it's a problem. However, that's a small portion of the gamers.

It's a way for us guys to unwind, have some time to ourselves (unless your spouse enjoys to play), talk with buddies by playing on-line, and just have our fun. Isn't it better than having your guy going out to the bar (and cheaper)?

The other nice thing about the current systems is they are multi-media platforms. That alone pays for itself.
Those things are much harder to become addicted to. Video games are cheap (except if you try to reduce lagg... in which case, you will need to rebuild your computer, as my hubby had to do when you play with a team to win the game, haha I have an awsume computer!) I used to use the excuse much cheaper then going out,,,, not so much ... people (and my kids) need to see my face paying attention to their beautiful dancing and not in the newest raid.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Today I took a two hour 16 mile mountain bike ride. Something that didn't require a lot of brain power to accomplish. Probably much less than a video game. Under the guidelines of some of these women that would surely be an immature activity. Riding a bike and all. Only little kids do that right?

One of the undeniable truths about women is that they are both insecure and must exist in a state of drama. A man engaged in any hobby is bad in their mind as he is neither 1. earning money so the woman can spend money shopping and doing their own hobbies or 2. devoting his spare time to give 100% attention to the woman.

Video games have been shown to be an excellent outlet for stress and also good for brain development and health.

I hate saying this but most women in this state of their lives are trying to make a family. It requires work. All the time... Mowing the lawn, finding stock investments, getting the car ready for a road trip ( oil, cleaning, carpet cleaning) and dishes, inside cleaning, and food. Its nice that all of you think you have time for leisure... (holds head in couch position waiting for bombs)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
Quote:
I hate saying this but most women in this state of their lives are trying to make a family. It requires work. All the time... Mowing the lawn, finding stock investments, getting the car ready for a road trip ( oil, cleaning, carpet cleaning) and dishes, inside cleaning, and food. Its nice that all of you think you have time for leisure... (holds head in couch position waiting for bombs)
HOLD UP!

HOLD. UP.

Ok, most women do NOT mow the lawn, mess with stocks or have ANYTHING to do with car maintenance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships